lots of pimples on coat

oldbeek

lots of pimples on coat

Post by oldbeek » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:27 pm

One would think this is my first dog. Every week something new. My dog has lots of pimples on her coat. In tender area under front leg pits. On chest, belly and also on sides up near back. She lives in house, evenings so I don't think flea bites. Fleas and ticks have never been a problem in this area. We are usually a hot dry area so I don't think mosiquito bites. She does hang out on top of my compost pile. Any ideas???

DudeRN

Re: lots of pimples on coat

Post by DudeRN » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:42 pm

we had another thread about this recently. Dogs can have reactions to poison ivy and other noxious weeds, just like people. Any kind of irritant can impair the skin's integrity, and then bacteria that occur commonly on the skin can cause infection resulting in the pimples. The fact that most of them are occuring on her underside supports the notion that something in the undergrowth is causing the problem. And although dogs don't perspire the way we do, some of the areas you describe also are warm spots, so maybe some kind of skin protectant would help, something like bag balm(?)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:13 am

Keep her off the compost pile and see if her skin clears up.

singlemalt

Post by singlemalt » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:20 am

Sounds like allergic pyoderma (skin infection). Try a dose of benadryl at 1mg per lb. See if it calms down over 24 hours. If it is pyoderma you should consider a vet trip for antibiotics. I had a pup with fall seasonal allergies and if she was not on he allergy medicine aug.-nov. she would develope a skin infection and chew the heck out of her paws.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:17 am

Its all cleared up now. It was probably some brush she was busting.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:12 pm

glad to hear your dog is better :D