Post rehab advise

Jaggerbush

Post rehab advise

Post by Jaggerbush » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:10 pm

My GSP got the clear to run freely from the vet and physical therapist after surgery and 6 months of rehab for a broken femur which cost $8k. I'm a little nervous about letting him let loose in the snow. I was thinking of short runs at first. What do you think about letting him run in the grouse woods or running at all in the snow? I can't afford him reinjuring his leg, but at some point I got to get him back to the woods.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Post rehab advise

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:01 pm

I understand your concern . After my dog had 2 TPLO surgeries, I was very nervous about letting the dog run. It was summer, but I still kept her to 20 minutes at a time. for 2 weeks.Personally , If it was today - deep snow- I wouldn't have let her run. To much hard work when muscles are not built up yet. I'd walk her on a leash only.
But that is just what I would do. Check with your vet or the rehab techie. Maybe your dog has had enough rehab to handle it.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Collins1527

Re: Post rehab advise

Post by Collins1527 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:12 pm

Definitely would do the same as Sharon. I'm sure from all the rest in the last few months that his muscles have atrophied, especially on that leg. I'd leash him at first and gradually increase the amount of time spent out. I'd probably wait until the snow cleared to let him run on his own just to make sure there were no accidental slips or extra strain on that leg. That's just what I would do. You've invested a lot of time and money this far, so a few more months of light work to increase muscle strength is better than the alternative of messing it up and starting all over again. Some vets might not understand the intensity that working dogs put into their run (especially after being restricted for so long!)