Puppy deaf after shooting range temp or permanent?

Eagles and indians

Puppy deaf after shooting range temp or permanent?

Post by Eagles and indians » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:19 pm

I have a 5 month old German shepherd I took out shooting with some buddies sunday. Since then she is totally deaf. She is completely unresponsive to sound, luckily she does well with hand commands. Has anyone ever had this happen? My golden retriever came shooting with me all the time and never had a problem. I read it could be temporary, just getting nervous because it's been 3 days and still no hearing.

Eagles and indians

Re: Puppy deaf after shooting range temp or permanent?

Post by Eagles and indians » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:50 pm

Wow thanks for the honesty. She wasn't that close to us, and we didn't really shoot all that much. I grew up with dogs and guns and this has never happened. I was hoping this site would be a good place for info though, but maybe not. Vet said she has a slight ear infection and that could be why it happened. She gave me some antibiotics, gave her one a few hours ago and she seems to be responding to some noise now. Im not a big time hunter, but I had my golden retriever trained in the basics of bird hunting incase I ever got the time to go out. Guns never bothered her, and she never had any problems with hearing. I was hoping to do the same with this shepherd but I guess not. She wasn't shy at all, but if her ears are this sensitive I'm not going to risk it again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:48 am

Um, probably not the best idea but also not the kindest way to respond to a new member's first post.

I would def take her to your vet and ask their opinion.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:49 am

Total hearing loss to a one day exposure to even repeated sound is very rare, but is permanent. Do go to the vet, but if this is not a hoax, I suspect she was already losing hearing.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:27 am

dog must have ear prob. shooting one day should not cause this. the mistake I think you made was you and some friends shooting that much around a five month old pup. this is how gun shyness is created. even if the dog has been shoot around. good luck I hope the dog gets its hearing back

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:53 am

It's not the first event that gun shyness is displayed, it's the next event.... Many of us have done it (Taken our dogs to the range) without knowing the problems it would cause. Most dogs will be fine, some will be made gunshy from the experience. And it's totally our fault because we didn't know any better.

Good luck with your pups hearing loss, I've never heard of that happening.
Tom

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:11 pm

Eagles and indians wrote:I have a 5 month old German shepherd I took out shooting with some buddies sunday. Since then she is totally deaf. She is completely unresponsive to sound, luckily she does well with hand commands. Has anyone ever had this happen? My golden retriever came shooting with me all the time and never had a problem. I read it could be temporary, just getting nervous because it's been 3 days and still no hearing.
Odd...I would naturally go with a Vet visit and consider any genetic pre-disposition to deafness.