Victor Dog Food

shets114

Victor Dog Food

Post by shets114 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:45 pm

Hey all..

Just to let everyone know, I left Arkat (Enhance) awhile back and pursued another opportunity to develop a petfood for a feed manufacturer and then onto a distributor for more of a home life. Well an opportunity came up to still have a home life and work back in manufacturing so I took a Territory Management position with Victor Dog Food. I also got to relocate to the South where I've wanted to settle into anyway.
Victor was always on our radar as far as comparison and competition with Enhance back in the day. Like the old saying goes "If you can't beat em join em" It's been great getting back into the manufacturing part of it and hitting the road selling something you can hang your hat on as a true product that is selling on its own merit. I'll be covering the Florida and Georgia market, so if any of you are looking for product just let me know.
Wish you all the best up north this trial season.

Thank you

Gary Sheets
Victor Dog Food
FL/GA

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Victor Dog Food

Post by ACooper » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:40 am

I made the switch from Pro-plan to Victor 18 months ago or so, I could not be more please. I am feeding Hi Pro Plus and also Ultra Pro 42 to a few of my dogs. My dogs do fantastic on it. I am surprised Victor is not hooked up with Chewy.com yet.

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:49 pm

Good luck and congratulations on the move. We switched our three Shorthairs to Victor about two years ago (also feeding the Hi Pro Plus). Have had bird dog's for 40 years and have never been more satisfied. Our best hunting buddy made the switch about a year ago. Reasonable price for such a quality product imo.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:16 am

ACooper wrote:I made the switch from Pro-plan to Victor 18 months ago or so, I could not be more please. I am feeding Hi Pro Plus and also Ultra Pro 42 to a few of my dogs. My dogs do fantastic on it. I am surprised Victor is not hooked up with Chewy.com yet.
Try Amazon

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:14 am

MonsterDad wrote:
ACooper wrote:I made the switch from Pro-plan to Victor 18 months ago or so, I could not be more please. I am feeding Hi Pro Plus and also Ultra Pro 42 to a few of my dogs. My dogs do fantastic on it. I am surprised Victor is not hooked up with Chewy.com yet.
Try Amazon

Nah, I can get ultra pro 42 for almost $20 less per bag and hi pro plus for $23 less per bag. I'll stick with my local guy. I was just stating that I think it would be good for business to come to an agreement with Chewy.

laker

Post by laker » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Victor is great food. My boy has been on it for a year and he looks great!

BVK

Post by BVK » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:44 pm

What is the cost as compared to pro plan?

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun May 10, 2015 9:55 pm

BVK wrote:What is the cost as compared to pro plan?
Significantly cheaper.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon May 11, 2015 8:30 am

Victor is a GREAT food.
The one and only problem with it is that the taurine in it is sourced from China.

Fieldmaster

Post by Fieldmaster » Tue May 12, 2015 8:08 am

We have been feeding Victor for over 2 years now. Love the results.

Robert

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri May 15, 2015 3:42 pm

After an assortment of different feeds over the years, we settled on Eagle Pack. Eagle changed their formula and had back log issues. We switched to Victor and have been very happy with it. We order it from Amazon since the closest dealer is well over an hour one way.

My Hardkeeper setter eats less of this feed than any other we have fed him. Recovery after a hard hunt or training day seems good if not a bit better than eagle pack or Pro Pac.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Eric
The Taurine used in Victor is sourced from the USA. The manufacturer is the same as 99.9% of all petfood companies use.

What product do you use?

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri May 15, 2015 8:26 pm

shets114 wrote:Eric
The Taurine used in Victor is sourced from the USA. The manufacturer is the same as 99.9% of all petfood companies use.

What product do you use?
Sorry, but you are wrong. I emailed Victor directly and they told me that their taurine is sourced from China. That is directly from Victor.
Victor buys their taurine from "Zinpro", which is a USA company, but Zinpro gets it from China. China is the country of origin.

I feed Victor Professional most of the time. During winter and hunting season, I feed the 30/20.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:38 pm

Eric. Read my post. Taurine is sourced from USA. There is a difference in sourced and manufactured. I was trying to prove a point. There are very few manufacturers in the world for Taurine. Some manufacturers will play on words and tell you it is from the U.S. Actually a lot will do it. As far as I know a large percentage of Taurine, even for human use comes from Asia

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon May 18, 2015 2:15 am

shets114 wrote:Eric. Read my post. Taurine is sourced from USA. There is a difference in sourced and manufactured. I was trying to prove a point. There are very few manufacturers in the world for Taurine. Some manufacturers will play on words and tell you it is from the U.S. Actually a lot will do it. As far as I know a large percentage of Taurine, even for human use comes from Asia

Hmmm. That is a very interesting statement/post.

Do you have any links that explain that "sourced from the USA" does not have to mean that the product or ingredient was grown or manufactured on US soil?

shets114

Post by shets114 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Sourced simply means it is purchased.
Last edited by shets114 on Wed May 20, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon May 18, 2015 11:08 pm

shets114 wrote:Sourced simply means it is purchased.
Disappointing.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon May 18, 2015 11:31 pm

The duplicity of dog food companies and the (apparently) legal food labeling laws that allow the industry to claim a product manufactured in China is "sourced in the United States," makes me durn glad my dog gets his turine from eating fresh beef hearts instead of kibble laced with Chinese made chemicals.

Haven't we're learned our lesson?

Bill (part of the 0.1%)

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed May 20, 2015 1:42 pm

I emailed the brand that I feed and asked where the taurine that is used in their food comes from because they claim their ingredients are US sourced. Here is the reply I got:

Dear Eric,

When it comes to ********** foods, we do not use any ingredient that would have a source of origin in China or any Asian countries. I did email our Nutritionist so he could provide a more specific reply for the Taurine. Here is his reply:

Eric,

Many things have changed in the United States and yes it has had an effect on the supply of many ingredients. Our taurine does not come from the US but from a European country. It is 99.5% pure and is completely safe. Please let us know if you have any additional concerns.

Thank you​

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So while happy that they don't go to China, it is a bit disappointing that they choose to partake in the "sourced" play in words.