Bad rash on GSP stomach

jahwarrior1423

Bad rash on GSP stomach

Post by jahwarrior1423 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:47 pm

I have a 3yr old GSP male that has a rash on his stomach. I believe it's a type of environment reaction because we have moved from PHX, AZ to Benson, AZ. He never had the issue until now. He got it once shortly after moving here and it went away. It has now come back and is a bit worse than before. Any experiences? Remedies?...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Bad rash on GSP stomach

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:19 pm

I am not a vet, but that looks very similar to what one of my dog gets here in ON from June - Oct. Vet says it is an allergic reaction to some weed. I use Benedryl for the itch and keep an eye out that it doesn't get infected -pus spots.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jahwarrior1423

Post by jahwarrior1423 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:22 pm

I've been giving Benadryl and using some over the counter cleaner and ointment to help with the redness and itchiness. Hoping it clears up soon

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:20 am

Half the battle is preventing a secondary infection. Good you are cleaning that redness.

Rik

Post by Rik » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:49 pm

The red rash with pimples on your dog’s belly may be pyoderma. It is similar to a 'diaper rash' in a human baby. Usually caused by bacteria, and exacerbated if there are stresses in a puppy's life, such as vaccinations, poor hygiene, toxins (such as the Frontline) or dog parasites (internal or external). or new environment My vet recommended washing the area daily with Betadyne. It it persists and/or gets worse it may require a course of antibiotics. My dogs all had the rash for a few weeks after we’ve moved to new home, 3 times so far. All of them cleared up after they reestablished pack order at the new home.

edb

Post by edb » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:13 pm

Order some nu stock and put on it every 3 days. This stuff is really good for skin irritations and healing of wounds.
http://www.nustock.com/

jahwarrior1423

Post by jahwarrior1423 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:56 pm

I'll try that NuStock and see how that does next time. The rash isn't nearly as bad as it was a week ago. I'm still keeping up with the Benadryl but doing it 2x a day rather than doing 3x as I was before. Then I'll go down to 1x a day until it's completely gone.

I have started noting the rash on a calander so that I can try to figure out when these rashes will start to pop up during the seasons so that I can start preventing it before it gets as bad as it has.

Soon I'll figure out the best routine and remedy. Thanks everyone