Rattlesnake vaccine

Beretta14

Rattlesnake vaccine

Post by Beretta14 » Sat May 09, 2015 5:33 am

My vet has been pushing this on us but I had never heard of it so I said I would do a little more research and get back to her. She said it is effective for all venomous snakes (In Texas) and slows the reaction down if bitten. What do y'all think and have you had this vaccine given to your dog? Any side effects?

art hubbard

Re: Rattlesnake vaccine

Post by art hubbard » Sat May 09, 2015 6:15 am

no side effects on my dogs

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Sat May 09, 2015 7:22 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat May 09, 2015 10:21 am

It wont help with Moccasins or Coral snakes but it does help with others. My dogs have not shown any side effects.
I would also recommend a snake breaking clinic.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat May 09, 2015 11:33 am

Snake Avoidance is Insurance and the vaccine can be uninsured motorist provided it is given correctly ..It isn't a guarantee It scares me how many people think it makes their dogs impervious to snake bites IT DOESN'T it supposedly gives you more time to get to te vet But if the dog has been struck in a vital area and has gotten a dose of venom basically you can still say goodbye I know people who have still lost dogs after 30 days after the second round of the vaccine one of them lives in Texas lost a young pointer that was struck in the chest area.

I do know of a couple dogs that had a bad reaction to the shot but more haven't had a problem then have.

You still need to get the dog to the vet The dog will still need medical attention depending on how bad and where they got bit and If you have the snake size and type will also play a factor in what may happen to the dog and secondary infection is the next big worry after the initial bite.

Personally I just do Snake avoidance
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat May 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Hunted in deep south Texas for over 25 years. Always did the "snake breaking" in late Sept or early Oct. Always gave the snake vaccine. Visited the local vet and verified emergency phone number on the first trip down of the season. Also helps if the temperature has had a chance to freeze a couple of times. Did most of our hunting down there after Thanksgiving until the end of the season. Can never be too careful. imo. I hate those snakes! Very lucky. Never had a dog "hit". Good luck to you!

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun May 10, 2015 5:55 pm

We have used it for several years without any issue and had a dog bitten by large timber rattler last year. I believe it helped compared to dogs we have had bitten before without the vaccine.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Mon May 11, 2015 10:24 am

Both my dogs get the shot and at $15 a pop it is a cheap valium for my mind as far as giving me that peace of mind that it will possibly lessen the effect and give me the time to get him to a vet. I have not seen a reaction to the shot from the dogs- I have the shots done on a Sat morning so I can be with them for 2 days to watch them- This will be my fifth year for my older dog and my 2nd on the younger one.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon May 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Wish the shots worked on Mojave Green rattlers. Ran into to 2 in one week at my home. Big fat ugly and some don't rattle.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue May 12, 2015 1:17 pm

oldbeek wrote:Wish the shots worked on Mojave Green rattlers. Ran into to 2 in one week at my home. Big fat ugly and some don't rattle.
That is a scary snake but the vaccine can still help since the Mojave can have a mix of Hemo and Neurotoxin venom because they will mate with Westerns.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 12, 2015 1:39 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
oldbeek wrote:Wish the shots worked on Mojave Green rattlers. Ran into to 2 in one week at my home. Big fat ugly and some don't rattle.
That is a scary snake but the vaccine can still help since the Mojave can have a mix of Hemo and Neurotoxin venom because they will mate with Westerns.

The shot does not work on the mohave
http://redrockbiologics.com/rattlesnake_vaccine_faq.php
Red Rock Biologics

Rattlesnake Vaccine For Dogs
Rattlesnake Vaccine For Horses
FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

For Dogs
For Horses

For dogs
Should my dog be vaccinated?

If your dog lives, works or plays where rattlesnakes live, you should consider a rattlesnake vaccine. Approximately 300,000 dogs and cats are bitten by venomous snakes each year in the United States. Rattlesnake venom can cause serious injury and even death.
What types of snakes does this vaccine protect against?

Crotalus Atrox Toxoid (rattlesnake vaccine for dogs) was developed to provide protection for dogs against Western Diamondback Rattlesnake venom. It is most effective against this snake's venom. Venom from many other snakes found throughout the United States is similar to the venom of the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. Thus, this vaccine may also provide protection against the venoms of the Western Rattlesnake (including the Prairie, Great Basin, Northern and Southern Pacific varieties), Sidewinder, Timber Rattlesnake, Massasauga and the Copperhead. Partial protection may be obtained against Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake venom.This vaccine does not provide protection against venom from the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth), Mojave Rattlesnake or Coral Snake
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue May 12, 2015 1:55 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:

The shot does not work on the mohave
Red Rock Biologics

Rattlesnake Vaccine For Dogs
Rattlesnake Vaccine For Horses
FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

For Dogs
For Horses

For dogs
Should my dog be vaccinated?

If your dog lives, works or plays where rattlesnakes live, you should consider a rattlesnake vaccine. Approximately 300,000 dogs and cats are bitten by venomous snakes each year in the United States. Rattlesnake venom can cause serious injury and even death.
What types of snakes does this vaccine protect against?

Crotalus Atrox Toxoid (rattlesnake vaccine for dogs) was developed to provide protection for dogs against Western Diamondback Rattlesnake venom. It is most effective against this snake's venom. Venom from many other snakes found throughout the United States is similar to the venom of the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. Thus, this vaccine may also provide protection against the venoms of the Western Rattlesnake (including the Prairie, Great Basin, Northern and Southern Pacific varieties), Sidewinder, Timber Rattlesnake, Massasauga and the Copperhead. Partial protection may be obtained against Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake venom.This vaccine does not provide protection against venom from the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth), Mojave Rattlesnake or Coral Snake

I know what is labled but I know Snakes and Mojave's can often have a mix of Hemo and Neuro so yes, it CAN help. It certainly wont hurt since Mojave's and Westerns share the same area.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 12, 2015 2:26 pm

There is the link to Red Rock Biologics Frequently Asked Questions Page. It is pretty direct about what snakes they say it helps with, What an owner still needs to do if a dog gets bit and also the most important the proper schedule of vaccinating as where you live and your dogs "potential" exposure some dogs it is suggested to get boosters every 4 months
If your dog is at particular risk of being bitten by a rattlesnake (for example, a search and rescue dog, some hunting dogs or dogs living in a high density rattlesnake area where rattlesnakes are active year-round), you and your veterinarian may wish to consider using three booster doses per year at four-month intervals.

Since resistance to venom depends upon the amount of venom-neutralizing antibody available, small dogs (under 25 pounds) are at increased risk of envenomation injury. Because of this, a third dose in the initial sequence, and in subsequent years more frequent boosters (i.e., every four to six months), may be advisable in small dogs to maximize their antibody production for more protection.

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri May 15, 2015 3:47 pm

I thought about the vaccine years ago, but decided not to use it. Our vet never even heard of it, much less had it, when I asked him about it.

Lots of rattle snakes in North PA, never seen one during grouse season.

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri May 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Angus wrote:I thought about the vaccine years ago, but decided not to use it. Our vet never even heard of it, much less had it, when I asked him about it.

Lots of rattle snakes in North PA, never seen one during grouse season.
What type of rattle snakes do you have up there? Vaccine may not be may not be effective on that species. Personally, it would bother me that the vet never heard of it, at least for educational purposes. It only takes one (snake encounter that is).

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri May 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Timber are the majority and Easterns are mixed in throughout PA Grouse lands.

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri May 15, 2015 7:13 pm

I would refer back to some of the information posted by Kninebirddog from Red Rock Biologics. Good luck

Spike

Post by Spike » Wed May 20, 2015 11:01 am

I vaccinated my dogs myself. No bad reactions.

Spike
Spike Cover

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat May 30, 2015 2:55 am

kninebirddog wrote:http://redrockbiologics.com/rattlesnake_vaccine_faq.php

There is the link to Red Rock Biologics Frequently Asked Questions Page. It is pretty direct about what snakes they say it helps with, What an owner still needs to do if a dog gets bit and also the most important the proper schedule of vaccinating as where you live and your dogs "potential" exposure some dogs it is suggested to get boosters every 4 months
If your dog is at particular risk of being bitten by a rattlesnake (for example, a search and rescue dog, some hunting dogs or dogs living in a high density rattlesnake area where rattlesnakes are active year-round), you and your veterinarian may wish to consider using three booster doses per year at four-month intervals.

Since resistance to venom depends upon the amount of venom-neutralizing antibody available, small dogs (under 25 pounds) are at increased risk of envenomation injury. Because of this, a third dose in the initial sequence, and in subsequent years more frequent boosters (i.e., every four to six months), may be advisable in small dogs to maximize their antibody production for more protection.
There is at lease 3 classifications of Mojave Venom. Many which include Western Venom so yes, it "CAN" help and certainly wont hurt. Worst reaction that I have seen is a bump.

Red Rock has to say that its not effective for legal purposes but the bottom line is that it helps.