Lymes vaccine, opinions,experience ??

dottie

Post by dottie » Wed May 13, 2015 8:54 am

I am interested in hearing the opinions of bird dog owners concerning the new Lymes vaccine available /pushed? .... by certain veterinarians.
My Brittany is on tick control medicine......dooes he also need the vaccine? Are there other concerns about " over vaccination"?
Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Lymes vaccine, opinions,experience ??

Post by Sharon » Wed May 13, 2015 12:25 pm

Effectiveness depends on what you read and who you talk to.
Many dogs will test positive for lyme disease but never show symptoms.
I prefer to keep an eye out for the symptoms and get my dog on an antibiotic quickly if symptoms show.

Your choice. You either trust your vet's opinion or not.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:11 pm

There is not a single person on this forum that can answer your question as well as your local vet. If you are doubting that then you need to find a different vet.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Wed May 13, 2015 2:22 pm

Ezzy could not of said it better.
Hunter Payne

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed May 13, 2015 2:42 pm

There is a thread floating around here somewhere that has quite a bit of info and opinions.

Edit: here it is. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=48665&p=451584&hil ... te#p451584

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Wed May 13, 2015 5:40 pm

My mothers dog had the lyme vaccine and her whole face swelled up. Her gums were so swelled it looked like she had hotdogs stuffed in her cheeks.

I got the vaccine for my pup with no problems.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu May 14, 2015 5:05 am

dottie wrote:I am interested in hearing the opinions of bird dog owners concerning the new Lymes vaccine available /pushed? .... by certain veterinarians.
My Brittany is on tick control medicine......dooes he also need the vaccine? Are there other concerns about " over vaccination"?
Thanks
Cornell's Vet School does not recommend the vaccine and this is a pretty typical position of the other schools as well. Using only your Vet as a resource is not something I would do. Like in any profession, one person may have motives that conflict with what is scientific fact.

"We cannot recommend vaccination of dogs in endemic areas with the whole-cell bacterin until questions are resolved about clinical Lyme disease developing in dogs that have been properly vaccinated. The risk of not vaccinating is minimal since the disease in dogs is probably self-limiting in the majority of cases and is effectively treated with antibiotics, even in cases of recurrent disease. Furthermore, the risk of ever developing clinical Lyme disease appears to be relatively low."

From Cornell....

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu May 14, 2015 2:34 pm

My old vet recommended it....my new vet doesn't? And they are both employed at the same clinic. They differ on tick prevention as well lol!

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri May 15, 2015 3:15 pm

My dog got Lymes while on both a topical tick prevenative and the vaccine. For several years after my vet told me I'd be wasting my money if I continued to give her the vaccine, but last year he said the school of thought had changed and now recommended I giver her the vaccine. So I started giving her the vaccine again.