Spaying my brittany

dandrus1022

Spaying my brittany

Post by dandrus1022 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:19 am

Hey everyone, Im picking up my brittany pup saturday the 26th!! :) just wondering when i should get her spayed? My vet is telling me 6 months but i think that is too early? Should i let her go through a heat cycle first? i dont want to affect her growing and muscle growth by spaying too early but deifantly want her spayed since i dont plan on breeding her. Let me know what you guys think! Thank you

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Spaying my brittany

Post by cjhills » Fri May 15, 2015 11:21 am

Spaying before the first cycle virtually eliminates mammary cancer.......................Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 15, 2015 12:10 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks for the info!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:55 pm

I'll take the other side and wait till a year and a half at the earliest. Cancer is not common in dogs without repeated problems such as false pregnancies or such. So weigh the consequences against the advantages and make up your mind.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri May 15, 2015 1:37 pm

Ask the breeder at what age her girls come in for the first time. That will give you a general idea, since some come in right about 6 months and others after a year. Plan accordingly.
I try to push the envelope toward later in order to avoid things like inverted vulvas and incontinence problems. For most of my girl dogs it's between 9-13 months.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri May 15, 2015 1:41 pm

With females you have to weigh more risks than with males, however about 25% of unspayed females will develop a mammary tumor but 50% are benign and the malignant ones are not usually fatal. I had two females that developed mammary tumors and they were both benign.

You have to consider this risk vs other things like improper orthopedic development, risk of other cancers that kill like bone cancer, temperament issues, bad coat and a tendency of early spayed females to be overweight and develop related diseases.

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:45 pm

I think im going to wait so we dont mess with her growing

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:45 pm

I agree whole heartedly. You, me, and your pup will be happy. lol

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Lol thanks ezzy!

MGIII

Spaying my brittany

Post by MGIII » Fri May 15, 2015 4:32 pm

dandrus1022 wrote:I think im going to wait so we dont mess with her growing

Yes please wait.

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Fri May 15, 2015 5:30 pm

So wait till a 1.5 years?

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Fri May 15, 2015 11:24 pm

Early spay reduces mammary cancer risks, but seriously increases the odds of hip dysplasia, obesity, ligament tears, and other cancers.

Hormones for both males and females play a role in bone plate closures in growing dogs. Spay or neuter early and the bone grow to disproportionate lengths. This, combine with weight gain, causes problems with hips and ligaments.

The major recent studies have been published on early spay and neuter: the Rottweiler Study, the Golden Retriever Study, and the Vizsla Study. In all these neutering males showed serious downsides and virtually no upsides for health. In females it is more complicated. Serious downsides, but mammary cancer is a serious problem as well. Seems like the best advice is to wait until after the first heat, and full grown. After the second heat the mammary cancer risks rise.

I would not do it at 6 months. Wait.

Bill

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat May 16, 2015 8:01 am

I have two female Brittanys. The older one was spayed immediately after her first heat cycle (about 9-10 months of age) and my younger one was spayed before her first heat cycle at about 8-9 months of age. Dogs are now 12 and 6 and I have seen no negative signs related to their spaying.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat May 16, 2015 10:38 am

I have never had a female spayed & my foundation female was over 15 when she passed I have a daughter of hers she will be 14 in Oct & I have seen no negative effects.I see no reason to spay or neuter.I have a male,an older brother to my 14 yr old to be female he will be 15 next month & still looks & acts like a 9 or 10 yr old dog. :roll: :wink:

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat May 16, 2015 10:55 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:I see no reason to spay or neuter.
Some of us do not want to breed our dogs and do not want to put up with the heat cycle twice a year.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat May 16, 2015 12:23 pm

I don't breed and it's a pain when they live in the house. I wait till 2 years at least.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat May 16, 2015 2:48 pm

That's my point it's for convienience of the owners not for good of the dogs.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun May 17, 2015 4:54 am

Spy Car wrote:Early spay reduces mammary cancer risks, but seriously increases the odds of hip dysplasia, obesity, ligament tears, and other cancers.

Hormones for both males and females play a role in bone plate closures in growing dogs. Spay or neuter early and the bone grow to disproportionate lengths. This, combine with weight gain, causes problems with hips and ligaments.

The major recent studies have been published on early spay and neuter: the Rottweiler Study, the Golden Retriever Study, and the Vizsla Study. In all these neutering males showed serious downsides and virtually no upsides for health. In females it is more complicated. Serious downsides, but mammary cancer is a serious problem as well. Seems like the best advice is to wait until after the first heat, and full grown. After the second heat the mammary cancer risks rise.

Bill
People believe what they wish do believe about neutering. So far the research is greatly over rated and aimed at proving a issue exists.
There are millions of neutered dogs who have no health issues. I have a 17 year old female who was neutered at six months. Still in very good health. Deaf, but I do not think that was caused by neutering.
We like to neuter or guide females before there fisrt heat usually at 12 to 14 months. Last litter had there first period at 9 months.
If you do not neuter a non breeding female you can almost guarantee health issues and false pregnancies. Mammary cancer and Pyometra kills many unsprayed females......................Cj

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:13 am

I have had many many dogs over the past 70 years and have had one die of cancer and the rest died of old age. The one that had cancer continuely had false pregnancies which I am sure could have played a part in the problem since she was always coming into milk and no pups to ease the swelling. But out of all of my dogs I am yet to neuter one except for the last one I have had since she was a house dog along with our male. And she got hit by a car a few weeks later. Doubt if neutering had any=thing to do with that but if I had agenda like many groups have today I could put up the statistic that neutering is really bad for a dog. I can also tell you cheese many times results in death to rodents but .................................

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Sun May 17, 2015 8:21 am

cjhills wrote:
Spy Car wrote:Early spay reduces mammary cancer risks, but seriously increases the odds of hip dysplasia, obesity, ligament tears, and other cancers.

Bill
People believe what they wish do believe about neutering. So far the research is greatly over rated and aimed at proving a issue exists.
There are millions of neutered dogs who have no health issues. I have a 17 year old female who was neutered at six months. Still in very good health. Deaf, but I do not think that was caused by neutering.
We like to neuter or guide females before there fisrt heat usually at 12 to 14 months. Last litter had there first period at 9 months.
If you do not neuter a non breeding female you can almost guarantee health issues and false pregnancies. Mammary cancer and Pyometra kills many unsprayed females......................Cj
Those with long experience with gundogs (or dogs generally) already know the advantages of not castrating males. The downsides are also clear, including disproportionate growth and the tendency to lose or not build muscle to the degree intact dogs do, and the converse condition of adding extra fat that is common in neutered dogs.

What wasn't proven (but suspected) was how bad for the joints and ligaments castration is for dogs, especially when done early. Three major studies have focused on the issues of castration and health. The evidence is very strong that castration leads to a myriad of health problems related to irregular growth, including hip dysplasia and ligament tears. There are also cancer risks that are very significant.

One can not remove the the hormone producing organs of a young animal and reasonably expect there will be no consequences. In male dogs all the health consequences are negative.

Female spay (not neuter) is a more difficult issue, as there are significant risks of female cancers. There are also significant downsides to spay from a health perspective. It is not a "slam-dunk" decision. Personally if I had a female (I never have) I'd be torn between post-first heat, post-second heat, and never. Leaning towards never. But I'd need to think about it. I don't discount that there are risks to not spaying females, as well as advantages. The advantages are real too. Unmentioned earlier is the risk of incontinence due to spay, plus the orthopedic issues.

Bill

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:32 am

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think im going to wait till after her first heat or wait longer

WindfallFarmES

Post by WindfallFarmES » Sun May 17, 2015 5:00 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:I have never had a female spayed & my foundation female was over 15 when she passed I have a daughter of hers she will be 14 in Oct & I have seen no negative effects.I see no reason to spay or neuter.I have a male,an older brother to my 14 yr old to be female he will be 15 next month & still looks & acts like a 9 or 10 yr old dog. :roll: :wink:
One very good reason to spay is to avoid a potentially life threatening uterine infection called Pyometra. They can be of the "open" or "closed" variety and a female dog can die from it if not treated. Treatment is often unsuccessful and an emergency spay is called for. There is a saying - "never let the sun set on pyo"

I suggest spaying after one cycle. Pyometra can happen to any breed, any time in the life of an intact female dog. Often it occurs shortly after a heat cycle has finished.