its not easy

smittty

its not easy

Post by smittty » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:12 pm

keeping a high strung dog with one that's not ....my one setter is very high strung and even in the off season is very active even being in the kennel all day its hard to keep weight on him my younger one is opposite if there is no birds involved he just lays around like an old hound and he is starting to put weight on... this time of year I just cant run them because of work anyone else have this issue

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: its not easy

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:02 pm

smittty wrote:keeping a high strung dog with one that's not ....my one setter is very high strung and even in the off season is very active even being in the kennel all day its hard to keep weight on him my younger one is opposite if there is no birds involved he just lays around like an old hound and he is starting to put weight on... this time of year I just cant run them because of work anyone else have this issue
Weight is easily controlled by how much you feed. You can change how much is needed by how much exercise the dog gets. But it still comes back to you feeding the amount they need, no more and no less. Every dog is different so you have to pay attention.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

smittty

Post by smittty » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:12 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
smittty wrote:keeping a high strung dog with one that's not ....my one setter is very high strung and even in the off season is very active even being in the kennel all day its hard to keep weight on him my younger one is opposite if there is no birds involved he just lays around like an old hound and he is starting to put weight on... this time of year I just cant run them because of work anyone else have this issue
Weight is easily controlled by how much you feed. You can change how much is needed by how much exerzise the dog gets. But it still comes back to you feeding the amount they need, no more and no less. Every dog is different so you have to pay attention.

Ezzy
yes I undertstand that but the thing is he only gets two cups of feed a day would you go less ????? I feed diamond hi- energy maybe change that ???

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:20 pm

Yes, feed less, exercise more, or less advisable change to a lower fat content. It really is simple math.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:06 pm

give the high strung one about half of the easy keepers food.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:37 pm

Yup, feed less.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:47 am

I agree with feeding less if you are doing everything you can do to exercise the dog. It doesn't take much to simply keep the dog active. "Mind" exercises can work a lot of calories off of a dog with very little effort from the owner.