Dr. Tim's Momentum and large breed puppies?

pato y codoniz

Dr. Tim's Momentum and large breed puppies?

Post by pato y codoniz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Pros? Cons? Age to start feeding?

kumate

Re: Dr. Tim's Momentum and large breed puppies?

Post by kumate » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:45 pm

I have my 2 yr old GSp on it since 10 wks and it is amazing food. Coat gleams stools are good. I do not need this food as my dog is a inside dog and only swims and goes for a run every evening. I have a 11wk old pup and was wondering about all of the hupla and benefit of feeding a large breed puppy until a yr or so. He said that the momentum would be fine as the calcium/phosph ratio is already fine for a large breed. He said the biggest drawback if any is because the fat/protein is so high some folks feel bad feeding so little because you do have to watch their weight. The other is for large breeds some like a bigger kibble size. That's it. I am going to feed my GSP pup momentum and just watch the portion

pato y codoniz

Re: Dr. Tim's Momentum and large breed puppies?

Post by pato y codoniz » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:58 pm

kumate wrote:I have my 2 yr old GSp on it since 10 wks and it is amazing food. Coat gleams stools are good. I do not need this food as my dog is a inside dog and only swims and goes for a run every evening. I have a 11wk old pup and was wondering about all of the hupla and benefit of feeding a large breed puppy until a yr or so. He said that the momentum would be fine as the calcium/phosph ratio is already fine for a large breed. He said the biggest drawback if any is because the fat/protein is so high some folks feel bad feeding so little because you do have to watch their weight. The other is for large breeds some like a bigger kibble size. That's it. I am going to feed my GSP pup momentum and just watch the portion
I had my 9.5 mo on a premium grain free 38/20 puppy kibble from 10 weeks to 9 months. He did fantastic on the food. Extremely well muscled (lots of steep uphill running has given him huge hindquarters) but lean and tall. Lots of energy.

The only downside is that i ran through 10 bags in 7 months. In two months on the prairie, a bag has been lasting 3 weeks (4080 kcal/kg so ~53,000 calories per bag therefore 2500 calories per day).

I switched him on the 1st and he handled the switch to Momentum well. He should make it through a month on a single bag (4680 kcal/kg so ~84,000 calories per bag).

Ideally, I probably would have liked to keep him on the puppy food longer because I was really happy with the results but since (1) I didn't want to ship any more food to summer camp, (2) I wanted the 7 month old to have enough puppy food for the rest of camp, and (3) I already had plenty of momentum up there for the older dog; I made the switch.

Btw, it never ceases to amaze me at how much food dogs will go through at summer camp. If you send them up there with their OB and conditioning on point, and they aren't a field trial dog, they'll get hours daily. I've got a big muscular horse of a 2 yr old gsp that is going through a bag of momentum every 3 weeks ( 3.25 cups twice daily which is over 3800 calories) despite getting supplemented with 2 ounces of fat daily. It is ~4300 calories a day and the trainer is contemplating adding another ounce.