Small skin bumps on Vizsla

RaiderZach

Small skin bumps on Vizsla

Post by RaiderZach » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:21 am

Lately I have been noticing some small skin colored (white raised) bumps on my pup. They dont seem to bother him, and appear to come and go over the course of a few days. I asked around to some friends of ours that raise/foster GSP's and they mentioned their dogs encountered this a time or two as well. They were given a shampoo that they give horses/dogs to treat rain rot, and other skin bacterial infections. I took him to the vet just to be sure and she prescribed the same thing, 3 times a week for a month or so and then as needed if I see them.

Am I alone in this struggle? He seems completely fine other than these little annoying bumps. Anything I can do to prevent them?

Gordon Guy

Re: Small skin bumps on Vizsla

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:20 am

You might try feeding another brand of dog food. Something with different ingredients then you're feeding now. Sometimes I've noticed a change in those types of conditions when I change foods.
Tom

RaiderZach

Post by RaiderZach » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:32 am

Gordon Guy wrote:You might try feeding another brand of dog food. Something with different ingredients then you're feeding now. Sometimes I've noticed a change in those types of conditions when I change foods.
Thanks Gordon, I actually have noticed these bumps for a while now and they just recently became worse to the point I was concerned. However, they started before I switched to Victor about 4 weeks ago.

I have started to remove things from his diet and surroundings thinking allergies may be at work. I also am switching today from a canvas travel style kennel to a more traditional wire kennel with a plastic mat. I don't know if the kennel could be bothering him, or maybe the detergent we use on the towels he has been sleeping on. So all that is being taken out to see if it makes a difference. I'll consider switching his food too if the vet feels like it could be the culprit, but I gotta say that since switching to Victor he eats much better than when he was on Blue Buffalo, and his stool has gotten a lot more solid as well (in a good way not a bad way). So I would hate to change again.

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:12 am

Possible puppy acne? Several of our dogs had them. One Gordon had them really bad because we were showing him at the time ...the vet perscribe something! But normally they run the course!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:11 pm

x2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:59 pm

I have had two ep pup pointers that have had this, I went to walmart got some oatmeal kind of shampoo for fleas and tick killer and shampooed the belly and rubbed in really well and both times dried up fast