tatse of the wild
No votes
merrick
No votes

Total votes: 0

mmcmurray51

New food advice for 5 year old lab

Post by mmcmurray51 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:38 pm

I am looking for new food for my 5 year old lab. The 3 I am really looking hard at now is blue wilderness tatse of the wild and Merrick. I have always done my best to give her the best food I am able to afford and now with a new job I can bump up the quality. She is an extremely active dog. She runs every day and also is worked hard in the field usually 2-3 days a week. She has a sensitive stomach and skin so I have been careful with the foods and also have pretty much stuck with what the vet said about having her eat fish based food. Any input would be great.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: New food advice for 5 year old lab

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:15 pm

I am not sure I understand why you would want to change the feed just because you got a raise. I think you are thinking that quality is tied completely to price and nothing can be further from the facts. If she is doing well on the feed you are now using then stick with it instead of listening to the marketing hype that is constantly telling you feed X is the greatest feed in the world. The absolute best feed you can buy is the food that is readily available and your dog does good on. There probably are more healthy dogs eating Ol' Roy than any other feed. Not my choice for a performance dog but it works well for most normal pets.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:49 pm

We need a fourth choice , "None of the above."

(In answer to some PMs. Edited many times because I deleted my post to keep the peace, then decided there was nothing wrong with it and put it back on x 4) :)
Last edited by Sharon on Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mmcmurray51

Post by mmcmurray51 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:50 pm

Ezzy...you bring up a good point I was hoping to switch to try and help with her itching...it has gotten better but still seems to trouble her at times...and Sharon how did I know I would get a smart a$$ remark in the first couple hours...people like you make me hate coming to these forums...instead of a stupid comment how about some advice. You obviously know it ALL

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:17 pm

I'd suggest Victor.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:54 pm

mmcmurray51 wrote:Ezzy...you bring up a good point I was hoping to switch to try and help with her itching...it has gotten better but still seems to trouble her at times...and Sharon how did I know I would get a smart a$$ remark in the first couple hours...people like you make me hate coming to these forums...instead of a stupid comment how about some advice. You obviously know it ALL
It is apparent that you are new on here. We have our share of smart-asses including me but Sharon is on the very opposite of that problem and you had no reason to make the comment you made without knowing who and what you are accusing. I shouldn't tell you this but her comment was exactly what I thought when you gave us the options. Sharon is one of our somewhat senior members who is always the first to offer help in any way she can and I am sure she will accept your apology when offered.

As far as the itching is concerned, that would be a reason to switch if you know for sure it is food related, which by the way is seldom the case. Food allergies are few and seldom prove out when someone does the actual testing. It is far more likely something in her environment that is causing the problem and is one of the main reasons it tends to come and go over time.

Glad you have joined us in our little community. Hope you enjoy and also learn some things from a lot of very experienced owners and trainers plus even a couple of good vets.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks Ezzy. Appreciate that.

Some days are diamonds; some days are coal. :)

Certainly didn't mean to offend you Mc Murray.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mmcmurray51

Post by mmcmurray51 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:55 am

To me smart "bleep" comment and there will be no apology...will find née forum....mods can close post Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:56 pm

Sorry to hear that , but I don't feel guilty. If you were that badly offended by that comment, you wouldn't have lasted long here anyway. Sorry to see you go; always hate to lose a new member.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:52 pm

"you had no reason to make the comment you made without knowing who and what you are accusing."

The same rule applies to her.

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:56 pm

MJB64 wrote:"you had no reason to make the comment you made without knowing who and what you are accusing."

Mike
So you think someone shouldn't answer a question raised by the OP? I don't quite follow your thinking. Or are you thinking she accused him? When offered three options and someone says none of them they are in trouble????????????????????????

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:47 pm

Sure sounds like the dog ain't the only one that has sensitivity issues. As Sharon said, someone with skin that thin wouldn't last long here anyhow.

Searching for the "best" dogfood, by listening to the marketing BS put out by these companies is truly a fool's errand. The "best" dogfood is the one you can get fresh, get locally and which your dog eats with enthusiasm and thrives on.

There is a floor on the pricing of high quality dogfood simply because it is the price of the key ingredients(protein and fat) which determine that high quality. There is no ceiling on the price because the ceiling is the highest price the buying public will bear. However the fact of the matter is that, above a certain floor pricing, the price of the feed has very little to do with its actual quality.

Formulating, processing, packaging and shipping methods and costs are pretty similar for every feed from the cheapest junk to the highest of the high end feeds. They are all made pretty much the same way, using the same machinery.

The higher the protein and fat content of a feed, the more it HAS to cost. Protein and fat content is most of what drives the cost of production for one feed versus another. but if one feed uses REAL chicken and another uses chicken meal, the difference in actual quality is minimal. In fact the feed that uses the chicken meal might be a higher quality, depending on the source of the REAL chicken.

Then there are the marketing costs. And the BS begins....

You feed what works and if it ain't broke, you don't need to fix it.

But then what do I know?

RayG

mmcmurray51

Post by mmcmurray51 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:57 pm

8 years in the marine Corp and 2 tours to Afghanistan...yep I'm real sensitive..."bleep" your forum

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Remarkable sacrifice. My Dad was overseas 6 years in WW2. He came home a shadow of himself.

Thank you for your service.

Last edited by Sharon on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:39 pm

mmcmurray51 wrote:8 years in the marine Corp and 2 tours to Afghanistan...yep I'm real sensitive...
May not be sensitive, just not real smart. I have no idea what being in the Marines has to do with sensitivity but it appears nothing. I had the opportunity to spend a few years in the service as most able bodied kids did in my time but I never felt the need to use that as a defense of my actions. Hope you get over it and come back again.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:02 pm

MJB64 wrote:"you had no reason to make the comment you made without knowing who and what you are accusing."

Mike

Of course it was a smart "bleep" comment because if it was sincere she would have explained why "none of the above".

Of course he was justified in calling out the smart-assed comment.

Of course rushes in to condem the new poster and defend the clique.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:04 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
mmcmurray51 wrote:8 years in the marine Corp and 2 tours to Afghanistan...yep I'm real sensitive...
May not be sensitive, just not real smart. I have no idea what being in the Marines has to do with sensitivity but it appears nothing. I had the opportunity to spend a few years in the service as most able bodied kids did in my time but I never felt the need to use that as a defense of my actions. Hope you get over it and come back again.
What actions does he have to defend?

Little patience for unhelpful comments?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Now there are two of 'em that need to pull on their big boy pants :roll: What special little snowflakes.

How about a mature response from the OP something like "Are my first three choices lacking in something? What would you suggest as the fourth choice?"

But no, he blows up and gets so offended by a mild response lightened by an emoticon, even, that he needs to leave forever.

Tell ya what, Marine Corps or not, service or not, doesn't give him the right to be vulgar and rude on here either.

Don't worry about it, Sharon. You either, Ezzy.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:46 pm

every man should know girls are meanies LOL

to the OP I've had excellent results with Nutri-source grain free chicken
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:49 pm

LOL Bob man

Can we start over?

"Could we please have another choice like maybe 'none of the above' , because I don't feed those and could recommend possibly a better choice ?" :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:30 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:

Mike

Of course it was a smart comment because if it was sincere she would have explained why "none of the above".

Of course he was justified.

Of course rushes in to condem the new poster and defend the clique.
I am getting tired of the language being used and having to delete it. Seems you are more concerned with trying to belittle anything I do instead of following the rules you agreed to when you got on the forum. I am glad it is me you are railing about as it demonstrates very clearly where you are coming from. Plus you are not downgrading the other members which is a quick way to lose your privilege of being here. Think before you post and things should get better. By the way if you have to have none of the above explained then you do have a problem.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:36 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
What actions does he have to defend?

Little patience for unhelpful comments?
I'm glad he didn't need to have what actions he needed to defend pointed out and you probably wouldn't either if you knew what was going on that you are privy to. It is always a good idea to save your comments for things that effect you instead of jumping in trying to stir trouble.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:48 pm

To the OP, those foods seem to be more hype than anything else. But you gotta chill out. If you joined a retriever club and asked the same question, would you respond the same way? Or would you accept that people have personalities and move on?
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:03 am

Some people have too much time on their hands. Go train your dog(s).
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr