Anal glands?

DaveyCroketJr

Anal glands?

Post by DaveyCroketJr » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Hey guy, had to take Joy to the vet yesterday. I had noticed her anus was red and swolen and she kept licking it. He said there is a scent gland in there that was full. anybody else have this problem?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Its a common thing but normally isn't much of a problem

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:40 am

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=510

You can do them yourself and save a trip to the vet. Just a note though, it's kinda smells bad when you do it.

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:10 am

My female GSP always has the same issue..............markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:38 am

they are more often a problem in lap dogs, but ui have seen it in some big dogs as well. if they get to be a recurring problem, they can be removed surgically. as with any surgery, there are risks, the main one being incontinence, but I havent had that happen in any of the ones I have done. if your dogs stool is somewhat loose that may be contributing to them not emptying properly.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:25 pm

How are her stools? Sometimes depending on what you are feeding and how the stools are can make them worse than others.
If she has a tendency to have a looser or not so firm stools they don't clean themselves. It is kinda like they need some pressure and they excrete themselves during the function. Not an easy way to explain it but hopefully you get the idea.

FTbritts

Post by FTbritts » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:09 pm

You can easily do this yourself. Stand to the side when you do it, if this gets on you no one will want to be around you. :lol:

I do all my dogs once a mo or every other mo. It also helps the dog hold it's tail higher.(since they are no longer inpacted)

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:37 am

It also helps the dog hold it's tail higher.(since they are no longer inpacted)
:? :? Huh????????????????

FTbritts

Post by FTbritts » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:29 pm

As an example, If you have a dog that has a natural 12:00 carriage and the dogs tail seems lower on point than usual you can squeeze the anal glands clean and it re-gains it natural tail carriage, You cannot make it get any higher carriage than what the dog naturally has.

Casper

Post by Casper » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:26 pm

I have heard this from many Field Trialers that if the anal gland becomes impacted that the dog can feel slight discomfort and will not show as much animation in the tail whether still or moving.

FWIW

Haile

Post by Haile » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:04 am

All I know is that it REEKS! I have to "express" some of Our dogs every month. Latex Gloves are a must before beginning this project. It helps to have someone on the front end to steady the dog.

Just think of yourself as a Doggie Proctologist.... :wink:

Another Wonderful Day in Texas!

rottngrl

Post by rottngrl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:38 pm

Hi Haile, have you got this problem solved?

My dog got leaky (smelly) anal glands when I switched foods and he had the runs for a week. I dind't need to take him to the vets, nor do the expressing myself (ewwwwww!). I'll tell ya a little secret I discovered that WORKED and its naturual and even a good toxin binder!

Okay, so he had a smelly bum for like a month, I thought it would go away, it didn't, then I realized what it was when he was licking his anus. I went to my local feed mill, and bought natural food grade Diatemaceous Earth (DE). Not the pool filter kind!! I added 2 tbs with each meal of kibble, watered down slightly so he did not inhale the powder.

DE will go right through them. Natural farmers already use this with their animal feed. It detoxifies, and adds some bulk to their stools, hence helping to express the anal glands. Whithin a week, the smelly bum was gone! (And I probably did some good for his body, detoxifying him a bit).