Urinary incontinence/leakage by spayed female

DudeRN

Urinary incontinence/leakage by spayed female

Post by DudeRN » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:04 pm

This summer, my almost 2-year-old Brittany developed some urinary incontinence. We noticed she was licking her genital area, and when she would get up, often there would be a wet spot on whatever she was lying on. We didn't think it was urine because it seemed odorless and colorless, until I saw it dripping from her.

Took her to the vet twice, first time when we didn't realize it was incontinence. Thought it was saliva. The vet couldn't find anything wrong, tried a round of prednisone with no improvement.

Second trip to the vet, when I realized it was urine, the vet said that unfortunately, incontinence/leakage is very common in spayed females. No UTI, either. The vet had us start her on a medication called Proin, which she has to take twice a day. It seems to have done the trick.

Anyone else had this problem? My Britt has been spayed for a over a year, so I was surprised that this would start now. The only other thing that is different/new, and I hate to mention it because it is working so well, is the Seresto collar. I asked the vet about that, and she said it wasn't impossible but she did not know of any incontinence issues being associated with the collar.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Urinary incontinence/leakage by spayed female

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:32 pm

No reason to think it is the collar ; incontinence/leakage is very common in spayed females.

edited for punctuation
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:51 pm

Very common issue. Glad the meds are working for her, they don't always work!
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:19 am

My female has been on prion for 3 years for this same thing it works just getting costly
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:02 am

Big bloc wrote:My female has been on prion for 3 years for this same thing it works just getting costly
I was thinking about trying this method of getting Proin. apparently you get the prescription sent to your vet. We paid $26.00 for 60 of the 25mg tabs from our vet, we can get 180 for $37.80 from Fosters and Smith: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=10776

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:41 am

Try this - Give the proin in twice a day until you see results, then stop giving it and count the days until you see the dog leaking again. If she leaks again on day 4, then you need to give proin every 3 days. If she leaks again on day 3, then you need to give it every other day. Sometimes I think dogs get refractory to the med over time, and That should help with the cost. I would imagine your vet will charge you to write a script, and that might mitigate any savings you get from ordering it somewhere else. Plus it's gonna annoy your vet. :wink:

magspa

Post by magspa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:05 am

my gsp started this at 3yo last year in august. I gave her the proin 25mg 2X/day for about about 10days. I ran out, and she stopped leaking so i did not buy anymore. Until this June, when it started again. I called my vet and he gave me a bottle for $15, which did the trick again. I divided the dosage and gave it to her for about 5days (to save some for next time she starts) and hasnt leaked since. I would try to take her off after finishing the prescription to see if it works long term like it did for mine. And to prevent her building a tolerance causing it to be less affective. I hear some dogs have to take it continuously though. 25mg 2Xday for a week seems to work for my dog.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:12 pm

My spayed lab has this issue. It comes and goes and prion treats it well. She has been off it for nearly a year now, but it could come back whenever. I never know. she is now 13 but it started at 9 months just after her spay. Since the meds have been life long I try to limit them if she is doing well by phasing them out over months

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:15 pm

It interests me how it is reported as a "common" problem in spayed females, and yet I'd venture most all of you never heard your vet discuss it before the dog was spayed.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:15 am

mountaindogs wrote:It interests me how it is reported as a "common" problem in spayed females, and yet I'd venture most all of you never heard your vet discuss it before the dog was spayed.
its not really that common.