Puppy Has Pain In Testicle

Miss_Lovely

Post by Miss_Lovely » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:48 am

Good Morning all!
Well, maybe not so good for my little man... My 4 month old, Cooper, has one descended testicle and one undescended testicle. It was an unfortunate discovery when we received him from the breeder. However, I am allowing Cooper to grow until the age of 12 months-18 months to ensure that HOPEFULLY the other one will descend as he gets a little older and to also make sure his body develops properly and he gets all the testosterone he needs before he gets snipped. (I really hope we don't have to though, but I will do what it takes to ensure that my boy is taken care of)

Last night: Well to get to the point, I'm not in any way sure if this somehow related to him only have one descended testicle (just a small little thing too), but I can't think of what this could possibly be. Last night my boyfriend got home before me and went to take the pup out to potty after he has been crated during work. My boyfriend does the usually and picks him up and swoops his hand up under his bum for support. However, this time, Coop was not okay with it. According to my boyfriend, Cooper yelped in such a sharp and unexpected pain that my boyfriend put him back down immediately to inspect him. Cooper was not having anything go near or touch his testicle. He would cry in agony and run from him when he tried to touch his testicle and examine it. I arrived home and heard the news and instantly started to inspect him as well. Cooper is more relaxed with me because im the momma and I guess he finds me more nurturing so he allowed me to get a better look at it and a feel of it than my boyfriend. He still cried in pain and backed away whenever I touched it though. For about an hour he was very lethargic. he didn't want to move or even get up from the spot he was laying in. He didn't want to move his hind legs because im guessing he was avoiding rubbing or bumping his testicle. His little single testicle felt hard to the touch and the shape of a peanut (my boyfriend also noticed that it seemed to be a little bigger than normal or swollen) Maybe its just growing? its still a small little nut but just slightly larger than normal. And I aIso noticed his penis was stiff at the bottom of his shaft towards his teste and a little before his knots but it was softer towards the top and the two knots on his penis were pretty large and hard as well. you could see it in his eyes ad on his face that he was very uncomfortable and it was not like him to not be jumping off the walls and chewing me up to pieces or begging to play or anything. He just lied there. Stiff and uncomfortable and looking up at us like he was confused and in pain. This dog is crazy hyper and for him to lay there for an hour solid and just whine and have no desire to jump up on me or play or run was totally abnormal with my little guy. it pained me to see him like this. I would have taken him to the emergency vet, (which I had to do last week when he supposedly ate something wrong and had a horrible reaction and couldn't breathe and drooled all his fluids and vomited blood- ended up being a $100 exam just for them to tell me that he will be okay and he probably just ate something he wasn't supposed to) with this being said, I have $5 to my account to last me two more weeks until my next pay check. I cant afford to even have him looked at by a vet. im panicking. I don't know what this could be.

Today: He is doing much better this morning, he seemed to have more interest in play and was jumping up and down the bed/couch like normal. However, when he woke up he stretched and I guess his hind legs must have bumped or rubbed on his testicle and he yelped and it woke me out of my sleep. and also when I touch it he flinches and whimpers and will cry if you put any slight pressure on it. so it definitely still bothers him whatever it is but his behavior seems to be improving this morning.

Problems: OKay so this is my thought on what the issue could be from:
Either 1. (HOPEFULLY) His second testicle is trying to drop down and is causing him abnormal discomfort.
Either 2. (Hopefully NOT) His second testicle inside of him is getting twisted or stuck somehow and causing pain in that way
Either 3. He either tried to get a nut off and didn't finish (or did finish successfully) and his teste is messed up somehow due to his other one be undescended.
Either 4. He could have somehow injured himself down there while me and my bf were at work. (he is crated so im not exactly sure what could have hurt him)
Either 5. Maybe too much semen produced in his one testicle? (I'm not sure if this would cause any discomfort, just a guess)

Please if you have any experience, knowledge, tips, advice, or any other suggestions then please please respond and let me know what you think these symptoms sound like. Hopefully somebody on here has some experience or knowledge on something like this. Thank You ALL very much for taking the time to read my post and help me!! Me and Cooper both really appreciate all of your help!! :)

Kellym

Re: Puppy Has Pain In Testicle

Post by Kellym » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:28 am

You really need to take him to vet. IMO

Miss_Lovely

Post by Miss_Lovely » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:16 pm

I don't have any money until next Friday. I cant take him to a vet and walk in with not even a penny. They would just point me to the door and then I would have wasted my gas that i'm trying to make last until next Friday :(

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:00 pm

Miss_Lovely wrote:I don't have any money until next Friday. I cant take him to a vet and walk in with not even a penny. They would just point me to the door and then I would have wasted my gas that i'm trying to make last until next Friday :(
Any boy friend worth his salt would help you take care of the problem.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Miss_Lovely wrote:I don't have any money until next Friday. I cant take him to a vet and walk in with not even a penny. They would just point me to the door and then I would have wasted my gas that i'm trying to make last until next Friday :(
Take whatever device that you are using to log onto this site and give it to the vet for collateral.

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

Miss_Lovely

Post by Miss_Lovely » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:00 pm

This device is actually my work computer at the office. I only have access to it at work. Do vets do that? could I give them my phone or my tablet or something valuable to hold until I come up with the money?? I've never heard of that before. My vet offers payment plan methods, but you have to have a good down payment and then they will work with me on the rest. Problem is, I don't even have the down payment. I have $5 to my name until next Friday when I get another check. :(

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:34 pm

I cant tell if this a serious post or an epic troll. Jeez take the dog in, tell the vet you are broke and work it out with them or borrow some dough from someone You really think that because you have 5 bucks tonyour name its okay to.leave your pup in severe pain?

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:14 pm

yeah, you have to find the means to take the dog to the vet. He might have testicular torsion or orchitis. neither one is going to wait until next Friday.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Talk to your Vet's office and see if they will take payments.
Last edited by Eric on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zrp

Post by zrp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:39 pm

If you can't say anything nice or helpful just move to the next thread. She's here for help and advice. I would call the vet and discuss the situation, financially and the puppy. As a vet, we like animals too and I would hope that he or she would understand the situation and take a look. The second testicle should in no way cause pain in the first. He shouldn't be old enough for sperm production etc to be a problem. I would expect this to be an injury, or less likely a torsion or an infection.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:21 am

Care credit is available for vet visits. I'm not a fan of credit cards, but in this case, this might be able to help you. Once he's on the mend and all is well, replenish you emergency vet fund and don't EVER touch it except for emergencies. We keep $5,000 in ours now - but when we started out, it was just $500. Hubby worked a second job and I sold stuff to make the money for the emergency fund.

It's a blessing to you when your pet is injured and you don't have to be concerned about what it will cost to fix them up - even if it's hard to scrape the money together when you do it.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:24 am

I logged on to see where you and this pup are. It is difficult to help someone in Florida from California. I have empathy for someone young and struggling, most of us have been there. If the puppies pain continues you have to do something. Get support from either a vet that you work out a deal with, or go to your breeder with utter honesty about finances, they should have a vet relationship to share with you that something can be worked out with. If he is in pain, it is one of those things you have to make happen.

Miss_Lovely

Post by Miss_Lovely » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:46 pm

Thank You so very much to: zrp, RoostersMom, Chukar12 and to others (who were understanding and had a friendly, welcoming comment) for the help and having nice things to say to me during my rough time.
That sounds like a great idea with the care credit card! I hate credit cards too but I feel that this is important enough and I am more than willing to make payments to help my lil' guy thrive. I will certainly call them and ask if they have this option!

To others with not so supportive things to say: People may not realize that this pup is my life, as I am young with no kids and i'm not married. He is my baby to me and I am in as much pain as he is to have seen him suffering. That is why I came to this forum to plead for help or see if this is something common or something serious I should take action to. Trust me, i'm sure nobody is going to take the time to type out an entire book on the issue if they weren't concerned for their dear pup. The reason I came to the post before going to a vets office is simply that I have no money and I was unsure of what else I could do to help my boy.

As for an UPDATE: Cooper seems to be feeling better. His personality is back to normal!! YAY! That is great news to see my lil boy jumping off the walls and playing as he should be. He is eating, drinking, urinating and pooing as normal on his typical routine. HOWEVER, it still gives him discomfort and he backs away and fights me when I touch it and even yelps slightly if some pressure is applied or he bumps his leg into it somehow and also his one descended testicle is LARGER... and I mean, honestly his descended testicle was only about the size of a quarter...if that.. itty bitty lil thing. Well, this morning I can say... its almost double in size.. almost. Definitely bigger though and tighter
This may sound weird, but its my puppy and im very concerned for him, but I felt all in his region thinking maybe his second teste finally dropped. Wrong. It just feels like one bigger and very firm and hard testicle. and I even squeeze it a bit with my fingers to feel if this was possibly two testes instead of one and it certainly feels like just one but I did notice a slight dent in the side so it almost feels like it has a peanut-like shape.
Odd very odd... I still want to get him checked out OF COURSE, but i'm so relieved to see that he is at least ACTING normal and behaving as he should. Now im not sure if this is a concern anymore. He is acting fine, but the little discomfort he does have still bothers me.
And also to add, I noticed that he is getting some yellowish/whitish discharge out of his penis. I recognize this from an intact male that I had a while ago, so I recognize this as normal for males and a form of "precum". However, is this normal for such a young pup of 4 months old. Does anybody think this has any relation to what is making him uncomfortable down there in his testicle region?
Thank You all very kindly :)
Last edited by Miss_Lovely on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Not normal, have you even bothered to call a vet and see what options there are? You can ask questions on the magic internet all day long, but the bottom line is he has to go to a vet!

Miss_Lovely

Post by Miss_Lovely » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:34 pm

To: getzapped

Okay, seriously, the rude attitude can stop.. please. It is unnecessary when all I am trying to do is find help for my puppy.
To answer your question, YES, OF COURSE, I have called and contacted my local vet office!! I would be an idiot not to, and i'm certainly not a moron. Furthermore, I do not appreciate you talking down to me as if I were.
Also to add, my vet does not take any forms of payment whatsoever. I explained my situation and my huge concern for my puppy, but they would not budge and refused to take anything other than full payment at the time of the service.
And for your info, Yes yellowish/white discharge is very normal for male dogs when they are hormonal. I just wasn't sure if there was any relation to him becoming mature and hormonal and his teste being hurt/sore. That was really my question. I guess I just connected the two because I never seen him with discharge until now and it so happens to be that his testicle is sore as well.. When I can find some money, I will take him to the vet as soon as I get my hands on it, but as of right now, I am helpless and doing all I can. you don't know me and my personal life so I would appreciate that you don't disrespect me and assume that I do not care for my puppy. He is spoiled rotten and I would jump in front of a dang car for that pup... (Already have!) I have all the love and care in the world for this puppy and unfortunately I just don't have the money there until next week when I get paid.
Thanks.

GWPtyler

Re:

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:41 pm

getzapped wrote:Not normal, have you even bothered to call a vet and see what options there are? You can ask questions on the magic internet all day long, but the bottom line is he has to go to a vet!
^^^ This!

If your dog truly is your "baby" you'll do whatever it takes to make sure he's healthy. Don't put off the vet visit any longer.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:50 pm

Im not trying to talk down to you. It just seems like there are lots of questions and not alot of action.

If you think i have an attitude, just be glad some of the other more seasoned folks arent chiming in.

And besides that, you said you will do anything for him except what is necessary to get the cash to take him in. And yes i wasnt sure if all this was serious or not because of some of your terms like "busting a nut ". In short do what you have to do, allnof you questions have been answered, take action before you have a major problem.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:26 pm

DudeRN wrote:yeah, you have to find the means to take the dog to the vet. He might have testicular torsion or orchitis. neither one is going to wait until next Friday.
+1

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:25 pm

Contact a Veterinary College
Veterinary colleges offer discounted services to people in need. Most of these services include routine checkups, vaccinations, and small procedures such as neutering or spaying. However, they may not be able to help if your pet has a serious illness or injury. The American Veterinary Medical Association keeps a list of vet schools you can search by state.

Apply for the Helping Pets Fund
The American Animal Hospital Association offers help for vet bills through a grant program known as the Helping Pets Fund. You can use grants to cover the cost of all veterinary services. But you can’t apply for a grant directly – your vet will have to apply on your behalf.

I'm retired - limited funds and have 3 dogs. Best plan for the future is to put away some money from every pay for future emergencies ,or consider insurance . Pets Plus is $60.00 a month for insurance for emergencies.

I hope your dog gets well.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:47 pm

You might try calling some of the local bird dog clubs or preserves and see who they are using for a vet ...Maybe someone might know a vet that is willing to help take care of your pup.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:52 pm

Miss_Lovely wrote: Also to add, my vet does not take any forms of payment whatsoever. I explained my situation and my huge concern for my puppy, but they would not budge and refused to take anything other than full payment at the time of the service.
Time for a new Vet :!:

EGrfx

Post by EGrfx » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:33 am

Just so you know were I am coming from...
I got my first hunting dog when I was in my 30's. A beautiful GSP. Trained him with the help of a trainer. The drive on this dog was ridiculous insane and so much style with his points! At times I was so amazed of his natural abilities, that I forget I have birds to shoot. I took more pleasure watching him hunt then me hunting. At one point I would invite other uplanders to hunt over him so I can just watch him.
LIFE happens... a souring relationship and longer work hours. So in my situation, I wasn't living up to what my most amazing dog DESERVED and that was my time and to be hunting out in the fields! It was one of the hardest realization I came to. But it was the UNSELFISH and responsible thing to do was to re-home him to someone who had the time to spend with him. This was over 10 years ago and to this day I know and believe I did what was best for my best K9 friend! It is only now that I have a golden opportunity to relocate to a place with many open fields and my job will allow me to have my future dog to accompany me to work. Here's to hoping that lightning will strike twice with another exceptional hunting companion! (btw: this is what brought me to this site... in search of).

Just like another poster I do have empathy for your limited funds (been there done that). But my sympathy is truly for your dog. As harsh as this may sound, your dog is suffering from your life choices.

Please understand, maybe just like me in the past, this isn't the right time for you. It sounds like you are living pay check to pay check (as I've mentioned above been there done that). GSP's are high energy working dogs. And to confine this breed to a crate for more than a couple hours (other than for sleeping at night) is just cruel. They have to be constantly challenged or you will create a whole other issues (chewing, digging, barking, jumping, spinning, destructive, hyperactive, anxious etc) stir crazy. Most dogs that are turned over to GSP rescue is because the reason being is that the dog didn't fit into their lifestyle.

As for advice on you dog's issue, he needs a vet and for you maybe look into those companies that do cash advances to come up with some funds. Definitely find another vet who will allow payments.

My sympathetic and PC advice is to do the right thing... and ask yourself are you able to do what is best for your dog. To put it into perspective... if this was a child and not a dog... you would get a lot less kindness. We all here are dog lovers and it is hard for us to bite our tongue and not sound mean.

Truly wish you and your dog the best of luck and blessings!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:22 am

Eric wrote:
Miss_Lovely wrote: Also to add, my vet does not take any forms of payment whatsoever. I explained my situation and my huge concern for my puppy, but they would not budge and refused to take anything other than full payment at the time of the service.

Are you serious? Would you go to work and agree to your employer doling out your paycheck a few bucks every month, or with the promise of paying for your labor 'maybe next week if we have the money" or "maybe next month"?
Or do you prefer being paid for your services when you're supposed to be paid?

The OP "hates credit cards" but would like for her vet to extend her credit? Wow.

OP, I hope your dog is doing better and that his problem resolves itself quickly. Let this experience be a huge lesson to you.
Having a dependent being requires that you can financially provide basic medical care. Think about where would you be right now if your dog had life threatening injuries or illness. It's very difficult to be young and just starting out in life with insufficient income. Most of us have been there and have the tee shirt to prove it. Nevertheless, it's your responsibility to figure out a plan. Perhaps stash away a few dollars every paycheck into an emergency fund. Saving might mean giving up some fun, but having that cash in the bank will feel better than a night out or a shopping trip, believe me.

As soon as you get on your feet,establish a great relationship with your vet. Take your dog in for regular check ups as needed. Have him vaccinated and checked for parasites as recommended. It might seem like a waste of money when you can easily purchase vaccines and wormers elsewhere, but remember that even though it might seem like throwing money away, you are building a sound foundation for a business relationship. You will know your vet and he will know you and your dog. He will know that you are a responsible owner, and that you pay on time. His trust in your sincerity will pay dividends in the future. Once that trust is there, your vet will most likely to extend you credit for big bills or emergencies. Because he will know that you aren't some irresponsible twinkie who will blow off her debts.

An alternative is to keep a credit card to be used *only* for emergencies or vet office calls. It's very easy to become wallowed in credit card debt, so be extremely careful with it. Put it away and take it out only for dire circumstances.

Again, best wishes for your pup's recovery and future health. I hope you can get on your feet financially very soon. This incident is a hard lesson, but if you learn from it, in the future you will look back and see its value to your life going forward.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:48 am

shags wrote:
Eric wrote:
Are you serious? Would you go to work and agree to your employer doling out your paycheck a few bucks every month, or with the promise of paying for your labor 'maybe next week if we have the money" or "maybe next month"?
I understand that Veterinary medicine is a business.
I also thought it was a business of compassion.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:40 am

shags wrote:
Eric wrote:

The OP "hates credit cards" but would like for her vet to extend her credit? Wow.

As soon as you get on your feet,establish a great relationship with your vet. Take your dog in for regular check ups as needed. Have him vaccinated and checked for parasites as recommended. It might seem like a waste of money when you can easily purchase vaccines and wormers elsewhere, but remember that even though it might seem like throwing money away, you are building a sound foundation for a business relationship. You will know your vet and he will know you and your dog. He will know that you are a responsible owner, and that you pay on time. His trust in your sincerity will pay dividends in the future. Once that trust is there, your vet will most likely to extend you credit for big bills or emergencies. Because he will know that you aren't some irresponsible twinkie who will blow off her debts.
+1000!!! Thank you shags

Eric - Vet med is a profession of compassion (trust me, you have to have some degree of compassion to deal with some of the stuff we get to deal with), but we also have to be able to pay the bills. A lady came in just a couple weeks ago, with a similar situation. However, this lady waited until AFTER I had treated her cat and prescribed medication to inform me that she couldnt pay for it! (so kudos to the OP for being up front about that, and bad on my office for not asking the cat lady how she wanted to pay before we looked at the cat). She couldnt believe we were gonna deprive her cat of the medication because she couldnt pay for it. She had never been there before, but wanted me to let her walk out of there with free stuff and trust her to come back at the first of the month to pay me. I finally got fed up listening to her complain and told her "Look, Ive got a power bill, a water bill, kennel staff to pay, and the salaries of all 4 of these girls you see standing here. Malpractice insurance, because you never know when somebody is gonna decide that its your fault when their 23 yr old cat in raging kidney failure dies, bank payments on the building, the blood machine, digital x-ray, ultrasound, therapy laser and all the other equipment i buy so that i can try and give your animal the best care i can. On top of that ive got 4 kids and a wife that, bless her heart I love her more than life itself, likes to shop!" (my wife just happened to be standing there too because she is the office manager, so the rest of the girls got a big kick out of that). Honest to God above, i dont think it made a dent. the lady slammed the medication down on the desk and walked out muttering something under her breath about me, and of course we never saw her again. Im sure she went home, got online and told the whole world what a horrible place our clinic is.
On the other hand, I saw 2 clients yesterday for different things that i didnt even charge because it was something simple, and they are good paying, regular clients that have a history in the clinic. I know and like their animals, and we have a great working relationship.
Sorry about the rant. Im really not as big a jerk as Im sure it sounds like i am, but vet medicine sure seems like its the last (or one of the only) professions where people expect you to give them an interest free loan abd let them pay you back whenver they feel like it. Weve tried payment plans- they dont work. Weve tried doing post dated checks- at least half the people with money problems dont even have a checking account. Unfortunately, payment at the time of service is the way it has to be.

Miss_Lovely

Post by Miss_Lovely » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:44 am

Please guys,
I'm not trying to come off as irresponsible in any way. Nobody here knows me, and if you did, you would know that I do not have "nights out" or go have fun (I cant remember the last time I even went to a movie or a dinner), or shopping, (I wear handmedowns from my mother and whatever she can afford to pass down to me and I shop at consignment stores for my clothes. I work all day, come home at night and stay home with the pup and repeat it each day. No fun, no clubbing/partying, no shopping for personal items other than food and toiletries, no vacations, nothing, just that im young with a lot of bills to take care of on my own. I am in no way blowing my money in the wrong ways or putting my dog as the last priority. I simply just moved into a new home last month and I am still trying to get back on my feet after paying last month rent at my old location, rent and last months rent and security and dog deposits for my new location. And also to add, that I had to rush Cooper to the ER just LAST week because he was feeling ill and blew $$$ just for the vet to tell me he probably just ate something bad and turn me back around to go home and watch him suffer for the rest of that night.. So trust me, I actually have a decent job and im very well off and spend all of my money on bills, food, and my dog. Yes I do have an emergency fund, however, I had to actually use that for an emergency and this is just bad timing because now this is going on with my baby. ME, personally, im the last person on my priority list because that is just my thoughtful and generous personality. I feed my bf and my dog before I feed myself.. I let the dog pee before me when im bout to pee on myself when I get home. I let the dog kick me off the bed and give him the entire pillow and let him be as comfortable as he possibly can be and im happy sleeping on the edge as long as he is happy. I buy my dog toys and comfy beds and treats before I even THINK about buying myself anything! He is my baby. I have been wearing the same clothes for two years now (Bless God that I haven't gained or lost any weight recently). So please don't think im being young and irresponsible. yes im young. yes I make decent money. No I do not blow my money. Yes I am penny broke right now because I just moved and had to pay tons of deposits and bills and also to mention my I had to throw in a few hundred to get my car repaired to make sure I can get to work and an emergency trip for Cooper last week. And then this suddenly happened at the worst time possible. its just simply horrible timing and I have an unsupportive vet.
As of right now I am searching the internet to find a new vet that will allow me to make payments and I am taking Cooper in either today on my lunch break or first thing when I wake in the morning. Whenever I get the money the soonest. I am borrowing $50 from my bf that he was able to sell some items and gather money for, and I promised to keep a tab and pay him back next Friday when I get paid. but that is all I have to offer them at a vet and im hoping that they will take that as a deposit and let me pay the rest next week. my fingers are crossed.
I have also attached links to pictures of Coopers "gonad" below if anybody is not disturbed enough to take a look and give me their opinion UNTIL I get him to the vet today or tomorrow am.
(I even sent these pictures to his breeder last night, who replied "it looks like his second testicle dropped to me. Looks like a normal 4 month old puppy sak too me. Its supposed to be tight and firm that young" However, I disagree because It certainly only looks and feels like one testicle. just one large oval and feels a little like a peanut because of a small dent on the side... What does it appear to look like to ya'll?

*It requires password: Cooper

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/Radia ... sort=3&o=2

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/Radia ... sort=3&o=1

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:24 am

Why not get a Credit Card? That way your Vet gets paid, your Dog gets taken care of and you can make payments.

Miss_Lovely

Post by Miss_Lovely » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:57 am

Hello everybody!
Just keeping all of you updated. After many hours of searching and calling several local vets, I was able to find a vet that was very understanding and the lady on the phone even said that they do not charge for office visits themselves. She said its completely free to have him at least looked at and they would only charge for more examinations such as xrays and medications and so on. Its so sooo great to hear that there are indeed compassionate vets out there willing to at least take a look at my baby and make sure its nothing serious or urgent! And also to mention, they offer Care Credit as well!!! I think I have just found my new vet. This is great news for me and I will post back as soon as I get back from my break with the news!! Cross those fingers for Cooper, please! :)
Thank you kindly!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:02 am

Glad you found a possible solution.... Fingers crossed for your Dog.

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:37 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Glad you found a possible solution.... Fingers crossed for your Dog.
+1.....

Miss_Lovely

Post by Miss_Lovely » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:11 pm

Hello All....
Horrible News everybody...
He has testicular torsion. The vet tried to swivel it back around and couldn't do it. He said it needs to be surgically removed and he needs to be neutered asap, because he has no blood flow to his scrotum..
He will need to be neutered next week and also needs his second testicle surgically removed as well. I've been crying ever since I found out, but It needs to be done. I have to do what I have to do to ensure he will be healthy and survive.
However, I am very concerned about getting him neutered at only 4 months old! I have heard so many horror stories about how unhealthy it is to neuter young puppies before they can develop. I'm getting him regardless but now this presses a new concern on me about how healthy he will be in the future as he gets older. In my personal opinion, neutering a dog is not healthy and takes away their natural process of developing. Im so uneasy about the fact that I must neuter him so young.
Its happening. Im not in denial and im not being stubborn. He is getting neutered next week regardless because he needs it.
However, I just want to know how badly this will effect his growth and health in the future??

Also to add: I talked to his breeder... this is his offer: "I will refund you $400 for the birth defect puppy OR I can personally drive to Florida and deliver you a new puppy (he has a fall litter due on August 16th) that is completely healthy and intact and I will take the birth defect puppy back with me and give him to a new home"

Well, I love this pup.... simply returning him for another puppy simply sounds cold hearted to me... All because he is missing his testicles? I wouldn't do such a thing... I mean I spent all this money on a pure bred GSP with registration and all so I could breed him in the future, but this obviously wont be happening anymore.. I guess taking the $400 is my only option, but at least it will pay for the surgery to get him fixed up.... I'm just broken hearted..
But Coopers health is vital to me and im out of options now

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Well that sucks. But at least now you know and have a good vet! Take the 400. im sure he will be a healthy dog, many dogs get neutered and live long healthy lives. Glad to hear you have a resolutiom. Good luck

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:11 pm

Millions of dogs are neutered at a young age with no health issues. Very few have growth issues and there is no real evidence that early neutering causes problems. I prefer later but it is not that big of a deal. A monorchid dog should not be used for breeding as it is likely hereditary. So the right thing to do would be neuter him later any way. Chances are pretty good that he will have a long happy life......................Cj

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Get him neutered and take the $400.
You have no choice but to neuter him and hope it doesn't affect his growth too bad. You already have a relationship with dog so why trade him in?

Miss_Lovely

Post by Miss_Lovely » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:08 pm

No, I would never trade him in. That's what I told the breeder. Even as far as telling him "your crazy if you think I would just reject Cooper like that and trade him for another dog". Yeah that's my baby... its very unfortunate that we are going through this and that it could have been avoided if the breeders vet detected the undescended testicle. which they didn't, so we received a birth defect dog and so now he is just going to be a pet.. Sucks but I love him regardless. he will still be special to me in every way and whether or not he can reproduce doesn't make me love him any less. I just really hope getting him neutered so young doesn't affect his growth or health. I wouldn't have paid a breeder so much if I wanted a neutered dog with birth defects. I could have gone to the pound and saved one... It is what it is, and im glad Cooper has a good home with me cuz there is no telling what they would have done to him if the breeder knew he had a messed up dog in his hands...
Hes got a good home and a good momma and I will do what it takes to make sure he is as healthy and happy as he can be

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:02 pm

( Time for a new Vet :!: )

Glad to hear you found a compassionate Vet.
After some of the responses on this thread, I was beginning to wonder if there was such a thing in this day and age.

Good Luck :)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Good that you now have an answer, and it's something fixable.
Have Cooper neutered, and get on with a happy life. In a short while this whole event will just be a little blip in your lives.
Don't worry about the future, chances are he will be fine. It doesn't help to borrow trouble, enjoy your dog.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your pup.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:47 pm

shags wrote:Good that you now have an answer, and it's something fixable.
Have Cooper neutered, and get on with a happy life. In a short while this whole event will just be a little blip in your lives.
Don't worry about the future, chances are he will be fine. It doesn't help to borrow trouble, enjoy your dog.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your pup.
X-2 Good Luck and have fun with him.