pato y codoniz

Astaxanthin

Post by pato y codoniz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:05 am

Anybody using it?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Astaxanthin

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:28 pm

No, but I do use a joint supplement for my dogs - green lipped mussel (P.A.W.S.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:06 pm

Sharon,

Most folks that use astaxanthin, despite it having antinflammatory effects, will still use a joint supplement.

I'm a little shocked that nobody is (1) using it or (2) willing to admit they use it (ie lose a competitive edge?).

The guys that I know that use it, not only use it in their dogs but use on themselves as well. They claim everything from better performance in the gym, better recovery, better eyesight, to better complexion. They claim that the dogs run harder, faster, stay leaner, recover quicker, and more effectively use fat as full.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:45 pm

My neurologist considers it slightly less effective than snake oil, so I never tried with my dogs. But I have been using B-12 to aid in recovery for dogs for 45 years, and there is no scientific substantiation.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Neil wrote:My neurologist considers it slightly less effective than snake oil, so I never tried with my dogs. But I have been using B-12 to aid in recovery for dogs for 45 years, and there is no scientific substantiation.
I understand your neurologist's skepticism but the medical studies are starting pile up that it improves strength, endurance, reduces inflammation, etc.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:10 pm

I use it. Used it on my sleddogs for years and saw a marked decrease in the dogs picking up the different dog bugs that one normally picks up at the race track. Healthiest dogs I ever owned were those taking astaxinthin.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:50 am

Fun dog wrote:I use it. Used it on my sleddogs for years and saw a marked decrease in the dogs picking up the different dog bugs that one normally picks up at the race track. Healthiest dogs I ever owned were those taking astaxinthin.
Which manufacturer are you using and what dosage? Are you using one of the compounded formulas or just astaxanthin?

I know guys taking 3 and feeding their dogs 1 of the costco bioastin 12mg while others are feeding astax from howling dog.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:57 am

pato y codoniz wrote:
Neil wrote:My neurologist considers it slightly less effective than snake oil, so I never tried with my dogs. But I have been using B-12 to aid in recovery for dogs for 45 years, and there is no scientific substantiation.
I understand your neurologist's skepticism but the medical studies are starting pile up that it improves strength, endurance, reduces inflammation, etc.
And builds resistance to bugs, sounds more and more like snake oil. An antioxidant just can't/won't cure everything.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:28 pm

Neil wrote:
pato y codoniz wrote:
And builds resistance to bugs, sounds more and more like snake oil. An antioxidant just can't/won't cure everything.
The Washington State University studies showed that all indicators of inflammation damage (crp 8-ohdg etc) were significantly lower for the 2 astaxanthin groups (2mg and 8mg). Also, the study found that killer cells had increased activity and that T and B cell counts increased.

So less inflammation and improved immune response.