Torn CCL treatment

dougroch

Torn CCL treatment

Post by dougroch » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:40 pm

My 4 y o brittany has been lame on his left rear leg for about a month and a half. I took him to the vet today to have it looked at and the diagnosis was a torn CCL. The vet was unable to determine the severity of the tear as the exam did not include X-rays etc. The vet has me putting my pup on glucosamine, tramadol, previcox, and 3 weeks of crate rest where he will basically be confined to his crate for 20 plus hours a day and when out on a leash at all times. If no significant improvement after the 3 weeks the vet will recommend surgery that could run up to $4000. I asked the vet for any tips/advice on anything I could do during this 3 weeks to keep my pup from going crazy and maximize his healing and the vet had nothing to share. I spent $100 on bones and chew toys on the way home from the vet tonight and will start the confinement in the morning but I know this will be a long 3 weeks for both of us as he hasn't been in his crate at all in over 2 years. Would wrapping the joint in an ace bandage during this time be beneficial? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Torn CCL treatment

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:36 pm

That's too bad. I don't think you can do anything else besides what the vet said for rest.
One of my setters had the torn ACL and had TPLO surgery - about the same price. I hate to tell you but it is common for the second leg to go as well. This happened to her.The good news is that after 2 TPLO surgeries, she was as good as new and still is at 9 years of age.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MATT4126

Post by MATT4126 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:16 pm

My GSP exhibited same symptoms...we were given the same advice and ended up in surgery for knee #1. The hope with rest is that if it is minor enough that scar tissue will form around the tear and stabilize the joint. We tried that approach and it didn't work. About a year later we were in for knee #2. We did TTA on knee #1 ($3500), we did tightrope on knee #2 ($2000). Prognosis is good. She can't go all day, and has bouts of stiffness with arthritis. Good luck and be prepared to spend some $.

zrp

Post by zrp » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:39 pm

I don't have a lot of confidence in cage rest working in an athlete. If my setter tears hers tomorrow I'll repair it within a few days and maybe get her back in the field before the season ends. There are many procedures and they all have their pros and cons. I think the recovery time is a little shorter on the lateral suture procedure. And the season is nearing.