Record heat coming

Schatz's Pop

Record heat coming

Post by Schatz's Pop » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:20 am

Hi, were expecting record heat in the next few days and I wonder if anyone has any advice on keeping a high strung pointer comfortable.

Schatz will be coming home from the trainer on Thurs and I know from last year that summer is the worst for her. She is very physically active and does not like to sit still for very long.

I have no air conditioning in the house and it's hot in here already.

Are there any low exertion exercises/training activities you could recommend to tire her out mentally with out her getting physically overheated?

Last year summer was a 24/7 experience just trying to keep her cool and quiet. (I do use earth animal calm treats, but they only go so far.)

She is "free run" dog and does not tolerate being put in a crate/kennel for very long or on a run if I'm not around.

Any advice on keeping an active Drat cool and quiet?

mtlhdr

Re: Record heat coming

Post by mtlhdr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:24 am

Swim, swim, swim.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:39 am

What you consider record high heat is our nighttime low. Train the dog.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:04 am

Neil wrote:What you consider record high heat is our nighttime low. Train the dog.
Really? Mid nineties are the predicted highs for New York ................Cj

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:23 am

He is in the Catskill Mountains, but even were he in Phoenix, he needs to train the dog to settle.

And yes, I have had dogs when neither the temp nor humidity got below 90 degrees for 46 consecutive days and nights, and all you had to do was keep them in the shade and hydrated.
Last edited by Neil on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:32 am

Don't know what your housing situation is but what works for me (rural) is to free run early. No big program or anything, they go for 20-30 minutes or so. Then a couple times during the day I let the dogs run around the front yard a bit while I enjoy the comforts of the shady front porch :D In between, the dogs have a fenced yard with shade and access to a building, or they come in the house.

I think it's important to train dogs to settle and not allow them to be whipped up all the time. They need to learn there's a time to be still. I wouldn't give my dogs the idea that they have to be stimulated and entertained 24/7. "Quit!" or "Go lay down!" are useful things for dogs to know.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:36 am

His predicted high is 91 degrees !

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:41 am

That's about where we run this time of year. Our dogs have never had special treatment due to heat. Just make sure they have water and shade if they are out in the yard. Don't think I ever heard of a dog dying from heat if they have the essentials, water and shade in the summer and food and housing in the winter.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:35 am

I have a friend who had a Lab die from heat stroke and I watched a Vizsla go into heat induced seizures so yes its a concern. We are running at 100-102 right now in Texas so the Dogs run early or late and come indoors during the hottest hours.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:17 am

I agree with the swim recommendation. The water will keep her cool and the resistance from the water will be good for her and it will be low impact exercise. Good all around.
I also agree that the dog needs to know when it is time to relax and when it is time to turn it on. I think that is something that will be taught by you as you show her what her boundaries are.
JMHO
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:58 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I have a friend who had a Lab die from heat stroke and I watched a Vizsla go into heat induced seizures so yes its a concern. We are running at 100-102 right now in Texas so the Dogs run early or late and come indoors during the hottest hours.
Of course you can overheat a dog or yourself but they don't die naturally if they have water and shade. That's what we are talking about, how to exercise and maintain a dog in the heat are two different things. Think we all will agree with swimming if you have a place with good water.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:33 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I have a friend who had a Lab die from heat stroke and I watched a Vizsla go into heat induced seizures so yes its a concern. We are running at 100-102 right now in Texas so the Dogs run early or late and come indoors during the hottest hours.
Of course you can overheat a dog or yourself but they don't die naturally if they have water and shade. That's what we are talking about, how to exercise and maintain a dog in the heat are two different things. Think we all will agree with swimming if you have a place with good water.

The Lab was in a shaded kennel with water and the V was running at a FT in Northern Cali. Sorry EZZY if my experience is different than yours.... I live on a lake and use it to help in the summer months but it has its dangers as well.

Do you really believe that a dog cant expire just because it has shade and water??? Some dogs don't know how to turn the motor off and we need to protect them.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:35 pm

It was hovering around 100 here for a couple weeks (and looks like we're headed for a repeat this weekend :cry: ). I still took the dogs out and ran them but made sure I was near water.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:01 pm

88 degrees Fahrenheit here all week(33 degrees + Farenheit) and other weeks in June+ high humidity.It's the humidity percent that makes all the difference. A soaking wet dog can still be very hot.
I have a fan in the den. All 3 spend their time lying around it. I change their water more often and put ice cubes in it. All happy. Spoiled brats.:)

( No AC in the house. :( )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:11 pm

When I wasn't send dogs off to summer camp, I'd toss a half dozen gallon water bottles into the chest freezer (-10 F) every night and then put them in a in a shaded kiddie pool every morning.

They did just fine and we were seeing over 90/90 days that summer in Boston.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Certainly we must protect our dogs from the elements, and heat and humidity are the most dangerous. I have found it is not just the daytime highs, but the nighttime lows that are a problem. Dogs need a respite, and do much better if it gets below 70's for a few hours.

It is also true dogs die, some when it is hot. And some when it is cold or temperate. We rarely go to the expense of a full blown neucropsy, and few vets have the facilities to do it properly. So we guess.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:21 am

It seems the board killers have forgotten about acclimation, and it affects.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:05 am

The scientists and old dog trainers agree dogs acclimate in 5 - 10 days. It is of concern when relocating.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:40 am

Neil wrote:The scientists and old dog trainers agree dogs acclimate in 5 - 10 days. It is of concern when relocating.
Who are these so called scientist's? I have lived in East Texas for a lot of my life and the dogs have never adjusted to the heat. Sure they survive for the most part but if they are worked and then left in a kennel they do nothing but pant all day. Maybe that is why every boarding place here has indoor/outdoor facilities. My K-9 that I worked with in Iraq survived but I wouldn't say he ever was acclimated.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:12 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
Neil wrote:The scientists and old dog trainers agree dogs acclimate in 5 - 10 days. It is of concern when relocating.
Who are these so called scientist's? I have lived in East Texas for a lot of my life and the dogs have never adjusted to the heat. Sure they survive for the most part but if they are worked and then left in a kennel they do nothing but pant all day. Maybe that is why every boarding place here has indoor/outdoor facilities. My K-9 that I worked with in Iraq survived but I wouldn't say he ever was acclimated.
Hey, it was Coop that accused us of not considering it. I agree with you, but what limited amount of acclamation they are able to do happens in a few days. So if you are not moving around it is not a factor.

Oh, thank you for your service, I have great respect for war dogs and their handlers.

Neil

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:50 am

Thanks Neil. I think I just miss read some posts.