pancreatitis

magspa

pancreatitis

Post by magspa » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:45 am

My 3yo gsp has this. Just wondering what to expect. I am not used to her being lethargic and not eating. I am still not sure what caused it. No medications other than ivermectin once a month and she isnt overweight. My wifes friends watched her while we were out of town last weekend so i think they may have gave her fatty table food but they wont admit it. When we got home i also noticed she had soiled her kennel and they tried to clean it which they admitted after i asked them. Anyone have experience with this illness? Recommendations for long-term food? Hopefully its just an acute illness.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: pancreatitis

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:42 am

You make it sound like your friends are someone you don't like or trust. I would guess you are just experiencing a digestive upset. Hope it works out OK for you as it is no fun having an ailing dog to care for.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

magspa

Post by magspa » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:20 am

I understand accidents happen..Its not that i dont trust them.they dog lovers but kind of irresponsible. They wouldnt want to tell me cause they know id be pissed..The vet confirmed pacreantitus through blood work due to enzyme levels.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:41 am

"soiled kennel" makes me think you're right on with some abrupt change of diet. A few of mine get super upset tummys when they get a change in food.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:57 am

Follow your vet's recommendations for your dog. Pancreatitis is nothing to play around with. It's very painful and can be deadly. Sometimes it's brought on by a fatty meal, other times it's one of those things that no one knows why it happens. Regardless, your vet will help you get it under control, hopefully before much damage is done.

Best wishes for a speedy full recovery.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:00 pm

MANY possible causes. I checked your avatar location as a scorpion sting can cause it. Hope your dog is better soon.

"There are several possible causes of inflammation to the pancreas. Some of them are nutritional factors, such as high levels of fat in the blood (lipemia), high levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia), trauma to the pancreas, and some drugs or toxins." quote

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/end ... ncreatitis
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:49 pm

magspa wrote:My 3yo gsp has this. Just wondering what to expect. I am not used to her being lethargic and not eating. I am still not sure what caused it. No medications other than ivermectin once a month and she isnt overweight. My wifes friends watched her while we were out of town last weekend so i think they may have gave her fatty table food but they wont admit it. When we got home i also noticed she had soiled her kennel and they tried to clean it which they admitted after i asked them. Anyone have experience with this illness? Recommendations for long-term food? Hopefully its just an acute illness.
I hate to be a "bleep" but you get what you pay for... if you wanted your dog professionally kenneled, there are plenty of options.

You chose to go the freebie route with some amateurs so just say "thank you for watching my dog" and leave them alone.

This whole "I don't think they're admitting it", "they're irresponsible" and "they knew I'd be mad" thing let's me know that you need to go the pro route in the future.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:51 pm

RoostersMom wrote:"soiled kennel" makes me think you're right on with some abrupt change of diet. A few of mine get super upset tummys when they get a change in food.
It could just be transitional anxiety from the change of scenery.

magspa

Post by magspa » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:01 pm

your right pato y codoniz. But i have heard bad stories of some of the local kennels too so its a crap shoot either way. It is not anxiety - her blood levels are unmistakeable. Thanks everyone for any input. The vet gave her two shots, one of them prednisone and 4 different meds to take home for the next 4-10days. She ate about 3/4 cup today.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:11 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:
magspa wrote:My 3yo gsp has this. Just wondering what to expect. I am not used to her being lethargic and not eating. I am still not sure what caused it. No medications other than ivermectin once a month and she isnt overweight. My wifes friends watched her while we were out of town last weekend so i think they may have gave her fatty table food but they wont admit it. When we got home i also noticed she had soiled her kennel and they tried to clean it which they admitted after i asked them. Anyone have experience with this illness? Recommendations for long-term food? Hopefully its just an acute illness.
I hate to be a "bleep" but you get what you pay for... if you wanted your dog professionally kenneled, there are plenty of options.

You chose to go the freebie route with some amateurs so just say "thank you for watching my dog" and leave them alone.

This whole "I don't think they're admitting it", "they're irresponsible" and "they knew I'd be mad" thing let's me know that you need to go the pro route in the future.
There something wrong in my mind when you put more faith in a commercial kennel than you do in your friends. Sounds like it is time for an attitude adjustment or new friends. JMO
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

magspa

Post by magspa » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:37 pm

i said i heard bad things of the local kennels. But i dont care who did what anymore. I just want to know if this will get better.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:04 pm

When I worked at a vet's clinic, we'd occasionally get in a pancreas dog, usually from too much Easter ham or something. With support as needed, and meds, they mostly got better. IIIRC the one who didn't do well was old and obese. The owners were warned to be very careful about fat in the dogs' diets going forward.
Your dog will feel low for a while but hopefully will improve. Follow your vet's instructions re feeding and hydration.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:37 pm

ezzy333 wrote: There something wrong in my mind when you put more faith in a commercial kennel than you do in your friends. Sounds like it is time for an attitude adjustment or new friends. JMO
There is something wrong when you place less faith in professionals than you do in lay people.

I don't want a friend doing my root canal or fixing my sports car.

When we go on vacation, the dogs get dropped off at the local trainer at a day rate. They get fed how I want them fed with what i want them fed. They are comfortable there. They'll even get some bird and road work. All for a reasonable day rate without having to impose on friends.
Last edited by pato y codoniz on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:39 pm

magspa wrote:your right pato y codoniz. But i have heard bad stories of some of the local kennels too so its a crap shoot either way. It is not anxiety - her blood levels are unmistakeable. Thanks everyone for any input. The vet gave her two shots, one of them prednisone and 4 different meds to take home for the next 4-10days. She ate about 3/4 cup today.
No I read that you had the tests done. It sucks.

My comment about transitional anxiety was in reference to the soiled kennel being from a change in diet.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:36 pm

My dog got it as a pup. One small piece of pork caused it. She vomited yellow gunk. Vet had to put her on an IV to get her through it. Very scary. She gets nothing but dog food since.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:48 pm

bowel rest (fasting) but plenty of fluids. very likely due to a change in diet/high fat content in something the dog ate. check with your vet on how long before transitioning back to regular food, and then stick to it. good luck!

magspa

Post by magspa » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:00 am

thanks for the reccomendations. She is doing better, although still not herself. Threw up one yesterday and is eating as she tolerates. About 1.5 cups throughout the day. Normally she would devour her 2 cups instantly. She did throw up a little bile yesterday.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Just curious... Did you open a new bag of food before this happened? If not probably not your food? Do your friends (that cared for your dog) have any dogs. Your dog could have eaten their dogs food. Just a guess.

Sounds like your dog is getting better. May take some time before she is totally back to normal.

magspa

Post by magspa » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:36 am

no she had already ate about 1/3 of that bag at the time. Yes they do have dogs, they actually rescue dogs from the local pounds and foster them. And yes to another dogs food that could have happened. We were caring for a dog they didnt have room for and had the bag for that dog in the kitchen opened up. The kitchen is usually block with a gate though to keep our 2yo son out. But if they had the gate propped open she could have got in and ate straight from the bag. And normally she will eat until its all gone or someone stops her.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:13 am

pancreatitis is not something to mess around with, it can kill!

One of mine came down with it about 2 yrs ago, spent almost a week at the ER on fluids. Fed him a super low fat diet for about 5 months then slowly transitioned him back to his regular food.

How it happened... we will never know. He got into something, somehow out in the field? Ate a dead critter? Doesn't matter ...

He lived and competed for another 2 yrs and as long as we watched his behavior and stools.... he was ok. But it did age him quicker, and unfortunately gave him long term problems.
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:31 am

One of our Golden Retrievers has pancreatitis for the last three years. His was due to us getting mixed up on supplements we were giving him and overloading him with fat. He was real sick, but after we found out what was wrong and put him on a low fat food, he recovered and has remained in good health. We are feeding him Annamaet Lean Formula which is low fat, grain free, low calorie dog food. We are managing his weight with it also. He is older and retired as a gun dog, so the low caloric is good for him. If he were a runner, I would have to find a higher caloric low fat food.

Good Luck

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:52 am

My pup got it from eating grill grease, lost 8 lbs in 4 days and did not look good at all. Slept all day and one of the days, he could barely keep his eyes open and was extremely lethargic. He even had night tremors from it. He received IV's, some meds to settle his stomach, meds to help get his stool solid again, and I believe antibiotics. He got better but it took over a week and a lot of love and time off from work.