Eating Too Fast, Tried Everything

mboss

Eating Too Fast, Tried Everything

Post by mboss » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:00 am

I am having issues with my dog eating too fast. He's almost 10 months old. I have already tried two different bowls designed to slow him down eating, they don't work. Feeding him 4 smaller meals over the day is not feasible because I work. I tried the tennis ball in the bowl and did not work. He's eating so fast he's literally sputtering and gagging every other meal, and this is with the "special" bowls. He leaves for hunting training for 2 months in just a couple of weeks and I am really worried with that activity he's going to get bloat. How can I fix this?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Eating Too Fast, Tried Everything

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:01 am

Not sure how a dog could eat too fast with something like this:

http://www.chewy.com/dog/outward-hound- ... aQodG7cDNQ

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:53 am

Why would he be more likely to get bloat, compared to a dog that eats his meal in 10 minutes rather than one? Any good trainer knows to feed the dogs after training so they have time to do some digesting. I add water to all my dogs main meals to the level of the food. I've got a female (pointer) that is a hog (which I like) and is done in 2-3 minutes. I've never worried about her getting bloat. She's been with a couple different trainers and is in ND at a pros summer camp being worked every day!

Steve

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:19 am

There is much we do not know about bloat. Some is genetic; large, barrel chested dogs are more often effected, and when gulping their food they swallow more air which surely contributes. Making the sporting breeds, pointers and setters are the least prone, while Labs and Chessies the most.

It is a serious issue, needing prompt, expensive surgery or death follows in many cases.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:22 am

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:26 am

Have you tried feeding him on a cookie sheet with the food spread out? A friend of mine has a short hair that has to eat this way or he does the same thing. Might be worth a shot.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:39 pm

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Wobbler-Trea ... B003ALMW0M

I use the kong wobbler. It's great, what once took less than a minute now takes 20 or more. Feeding now requires some mental focus (on the dog's part), which I am sure doesn't hurt either. I made the hole a little smaller using duct tape on the inside.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:19 pm

Gertie wrote:Have you tried feeding him on a cookie sheet with the food spread out? A friend of mine has a short hair that has to eat this way or he does the same thing. Might be worth a shot.
this is the solution use a cookie sheet large enough that the kibble is only one layer that will prevent him from bolting down his food
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:41 pm

I have two GSPs that take about 30 seconds to gulp down a bowl of feed. I have never really worried about it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mboss

Post by mboss » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks for the responses. After reading the linked article (thank to Neil) and a couple others it's looking like eating too fast isn't as much of a factor as I was lead to believe initially. I reached out to my breeder and trainer and he said spreading it out flat works well, and he likes to put it in the yard to make them sniff for it a bit when get gets one that is overly fast eating. Thanks for the advice.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Ditto on the large cookie sheet with an edge so you can also add water
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:07 am

Another thing you can try... toss his food on the ground by the handful, make him look for it and find it kibble by kibble. I had to do that with one of my guys. Not only does it force them to eat slower, but it gives them something to do as well.

Another option is to use muffin tins... a little in each hole....
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:00 pm

fuzznut wrote:Another thing you can try... toss his food on the ground by the handful, make him look for it and find it kibble by kibble. I had to do that with one of my guys. Not only does it force them to eat slower, but it gives them something to do as well.

Another option is to use muffin tins... a little in each hole....
I had heard of using a cookie sheet, but not muffin tins...brilliant! :lol:

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:53 am

Our newest female is a real 'grub hound'....miss piggy reincarnated! We finally found that putting a lot of water in with her food slows her down and prevents her choking and coughing while gulping things down. She used to have to sit and gag for a while her throat cleared. No more, the water helps her get is all down.

Good Luck

mboss

Post by mboss » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:43 am

Thanks for all the responses. The trainer he's going to suggested tossing some out in the grass for him so I tried that and let him sniff it out and eat. When it's rainy I've used the cookie sheet, slows him down quite a bit and the added benefit of waking up the household by crashing around the kitchen chasing a cookie sheet!

Thanks for the tips on this

mboss

Post by mboss » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:44 am

[quote="fuzznut"]Another thing you can try... toss his food on the ground by the handful, make him look for it and find it kibble by kibble. I had to do that with one of my guys. Not only does it force them to eat slower, but it gives them something to do as well.

The trainer he'll be going to suggested this as well so started doing it. He looked at me like I was nuts at first, then went and found his dinner.