Local Registration

nanney1

Local Registration

Post by nanney1 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:03 am

As a follow up to the Rabies Vaccination thread, I did take my older dog in for her shot ($18). I then have to send in proof of vaccination with $35 to receive my County registration and dog collar tag.

Since this particular dog has been spayed, she is duly registered and in good standing for the next three years until the vaccination is due again. Essentially, my local dog tax on her is complete for the next three years.

However, I have two other dogs that are intact. Because they have not been altered, I am required to pay an annual registration fee on them each year. This is the county's incentive to have pets spayed and neutered.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Local Registration

Post by shags » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:05 am

That just stinks. Do the dufusses at the commissioner's think that the irresponsible dog owners are registering and spay/neutering? No, they punish the dog owners that do the right thing.

My county raised the annual tag fee, and the reason was they needed the revenue to fund AC and the pound. I called and asked why we law-abiding citizens were required to pick up the slack of those who allowed dogs at large etc, and expressed the idea that perhaps fines for the owners with dogs at large, or who were dropping pets and litters at the shelter, should be increased to pay for their use of it.

Unfortunately, the issue can't be corrected at the local level, it's all written in our state laws. But it still is stupid :twisted:

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:37 am

Another local law is that I can only have 4 dogs within the city limits. Has more to do with noise and complaints about barking that the police have to respond to. An example that I have seen many times before are multiple Beagles in adjoining small kennels stacked side by side. But, once one Beagle starts up, they all start up. On the other hand, one bawling coonhound, or one howling huskey can make plenty of noise.

At one point, the County was considering a separate license so that anyone who did not have their dogs altered would be charged a fee as a "breeder". I did call a couple of commissioners on that one. What I learned was that they were not going to go through with that idea. The main reason is that many senior citizens have small house dogs that haven't been altered and are not going to be accidentally bred. And since senior citizens vote, the local breeder's license never made it to a vote.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:22 pm

You need to move.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:52 am

Yeah, I have three dogs, and have never had more than 3 at one time. The most I could foresee is 4 which would be o.k. However, some friends decided to move from a nearby city that had the same ordinance of no more than 4 dogs. At that time they had four, but bred a litter, kept one and made the decision to leave. They currently have 10 and have moved to an unincorporated, un-zoned district.