getting rid of mushrooms

Makintrax73

getting rid of mushrooms

Post by Makintrax73 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Had a bit of a scare with the new pup on Wednesday. When I woke up and let him out in the yard I looked out to see him messing with a small group of mushrooms. I called him off, and as he was trotting to the door he reached down and snatched one off the ground. I was able to grab him and force his mouth open and get it out whole. However I did find a stem in the yard with no top. After looking and realizing there was no way to identify it I decided to induce vomiting with HO2 and hope for the best. I found nothing that I could identify I. The vomit. Dire family emergency prevented a trip to the vet for several days, but thankfully there have been no ill effects noted. I found another one tonight and removed it. However I realize that I can't expect to comb the yard daily. So my question is does anyone have a suggestion for preventing mushrooms from growing? They seem to grow in the roots of two maple trees I had removed. They a largish, 2-4in diameter with a plain white stem, white gills, and a flat tan coated white top.

reba

Re: getting rid of mushrooms

Post by reba » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:48 pm

You might try picking them with a doggie poop bag. It may help prevent spreading of the spores.

Makintrax73

Re: getting rid of mushrooms

Post by Makintrax73 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Not a bad idea! I removed some before, threw them over the fence onto the driveway on a calm day. There was a patch of white spores on the driveway later that day.