GSP has something, need input

Bacon1676

GSP has something, need input

Post by Bacon1676 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:28 pm

Not sure what it is. Doesn't ich or hurt. Our horse vet feels like it's a type of fungus. Trying to keep him from going to the vet, one less billl to pay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP has something, need input

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:14 pm

It looks likes "Hot Spot" to me. In an unusual place, but may have been started by a tick bite.

Some treatments in these links:

https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=n ... Vthunhj-lg
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:13 am

Histiocytoma? One of my guys had one that looked similar when he was young.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_histiocytoma.html

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:51 am

Yes, it looks like a Histiocytoma.

The good news is these usually self resolve with-in 3 months. The bad news is they are difficult to distinguish from a mass cell tumor (cancer) that requires removal.

Bill
Last edited by Spy Car on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:22 am

It looks like Ring worm to me which is fungal.

Despite its name, ringworm is not caused by a worm, but by a fungus. The term "ring" comes from the circular patches that can form anywhere, but are often found on a dog's head, paws, ears, and forelegs. Inflammation, scaly patches, and hair loss often surround the lesions. Puppies less than a year old are the most susceptible, and the infection can spread quickly between dogs in a kennel or to pet owners at home. Various anti-fungal treatments are available.

You can try Malaseb Shampoo or Clotrimazole Cream

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:36 pm

Well you have 3 options here now. :)

(Time to see the vet.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

khaselow

Post by khaselow » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:02 pm

I suggest going to a vet.

Would hate to have it be something serious or something easy to treat early and spend a lot of time waiting and watching.

best of luck

Kent

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:52 pm

khaselow wrote:I suggest going to a vet.

Would hate to have it be something serious or something easy to treat early and spend a lot of time waiting and watching.

best of luck

Kent
Always interesting to me that doctors and vets have to see the patient before diagnosing the problem while just a picture or sometimes even less is good enough for non-doctors to diagnose on he internet. But maybe even stranger that owners would ask for a diagnosis on a forum. I understand minor ailments or minor injuries but anything more is something I just shake my head and say why here.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:31 pm

Kent[/quote] Always interesting to me that doctors and vets have to see the patient before diagnosing the problem while just a picture or sometimes even less is good enough for non-doctors to diagnose on he internet. But maybe even stranger that owners would ask for a diagnosis on a forum. I understand minor ailments or minor injuries but anything more is something I just shake my head and say why here.[/quote]

Being a vet tech I can go into an exam and diagnose and get the prescription ready or call which diagnostics a doctor will run before doing so. I work in the field so I have seen what happens when an aliment goes un treated. we say the golden rule is if your dog is not showing symptoms like lethargy, vomiting, anorexic, diarrhea or listlessness etc its probobly not life threatening.That being said with my dogs I will always take them to the vet for any issue that is questionable.Vet school is more competitive than medical school they do know what they're doing.It may be expensive but its worth the cost to know and treat the issue correctly before it gets out of control.If your equine vet thinks its fungal and money is an issue ask if she can do a skin scrape and culture.My guess is if your dog isn't bothered by it, its not spreading or growing and he is eating and going about his daily routine its nothing.Im not a vet just a tech and anything that is alarming I still call the doctor.Its worth the piece of mind.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:16 am

BirdyBoris wrote:Kent
Always interesting to me that doctors and vets have to see the patient before diagnosing the problem while just a picture or sometimes even less is good enough for non-doctors to diagnose on he internet. But maybe even stranger that owners would ask for a diagnosis on a forum. I understand minor ailments or minor injuries but anything more is something I just shake my head and say why here.[/quote]

Being a vet tech I can go into an exam and diagnose and get the prescription ready or call which diagnostics a doctor will run before doing so. I work in the field so I have seen what happens when an aliment goes un treated. we say the golden rule is if your dog is not showing symptoms like lethargy, vomiting, anorexic, diarrhea or listlessness etc its probobly not life threatening.That being said with my dogs I will always take them to the vet for any issue that is questionable.Vet school is more competitive than medical school they do know what they're doing.It may be expensive but its worth the cost to know and treat the issue correctly before it gets out of control.If your equine vet thinks its fungal and money is an issue ask if she can do a skin scrape and culture.My guess is if your dog isn't bothered by it, its not spreading or growing and he is eating and going about his daily routine its nothing.Im not a vet just a tech and anything that is alarming I still call the doctor.Its worth the piece of mind.[/quote]

Whoa! From the AVMA "A veterinary technologist or veterinary technician shall not diagnose, prescribe medication or treatment, or perform surgical procedures other than castrating and dehorning of food animals. A veterinary technologist or veterinary technician may assist a veterinarian in all duties of veterinary medicine and surgery."
ezzy333 wrote:
khaselow wrote:I suggest going to a vet.

best of luck

Kent
Always interesting to me that doctors and vets have to see the patient before diagnosing the problem while just a picture or sometimes even less is good enough for non-doctors to diagnose on he internet. But maybe even stranger that owners would ask for a diagnosis on a forum. I understand minor ailments or minor injuries but anything more is something I just shake my head and say why here.
Agreed. Just because forum members might be able to correctly guess about a medical issue, the risk is not usually not worth saving the cost of an office visit. Better to get a professional opinion and take care of it quickly and correctly. You never know, putting athletes foot cream on a mast cell tumor for weeks on end could lead to grief down the road.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:49 am

Maybe I worded that wrong. When I said I can diagnose,prescribe etc I was trying to make the point I can call how the vet is going to treat and what disgnostics they will run.All good vet techs do this. They get things ready for specific tests and or treatments so it saves time.Im very confident in my knowledge of veterinary medicine but when something is going on with my dogs I consult the vet

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:43 am

He has been seen by a couple vets (horse vets) none seem too concern. Probably will get him in to see a dog vet next week. He isn't showing any signs of any problems, he is eating, running, playing, and no problems as of now so I'm not too worried about it. Will let you guys now what we find out.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Bacon1676 wrote:He has been seen by a couple vets (horse vets) none seem too concern. Probably will get him in to see a dog vet next week. He isn't showing any signs of any problems, he is eating, running, playing, and no problems as of now so I'm not too worried about it. Will let you guys now what we find out.
I had no idea there were horse vets. I am sure there are some that kind of specialize but they all go through the same school as far as I know.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:16 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Bacon1676 wrote:He has been seen by a couple vets (horse vets) none seem too concern. Probably will get him in to see a dog vet next week. He isn't showing any signs of any problems, he is eating, running, playing, and no problems as of now so I'm not too worried about it. Will let you guys now what we find out.
I had no idea there were horse vets. I am sure there are some that kind of specialize but they all go through the same school as far as I know.
Lol... Yep, basically large and small animal vets, kinda like doctors (kids and adults). They go through same kind of schooling, but specialize as they move along in their careers. We have a vet that just looks at horse eyes, makes a killing at it too. She is the one who told us it looks a like a form of mange that isn't contagious. Not really sure what she called it, some Latin mumbo jumbo. Haha. I prefious all of that with saying I live in Kentucky and there are vets who work for one big thoroughbred farm and make 6 figures a year. Lots and lots of money go into horses in this state.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Bacon1676 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
Lol... Yep, basically large and small animal vets, kinda like doctors (kids and adults). They go through same kind of schooling, but specialize as they move along in their careers. We have a vet that just looks at horse eyes, makes a killing at it too. She is the one who told us it looks a like a form of mange that isn't contagious. Not really sure what she called it, some Latin mumbo jumbo. Haha. I prefious all of that with saying I live in Kentucky and there are vets who work for one big thoroughbred farm and make 6 figures a year. Lots and lots of money go into horses in this state.
Hey, we have large and small animal practices too, depending where they are located. And I also know that fungi do not segregate as to size so a large animal doctor should know as much about the problem as any other doctor. I happen to be in a smaller community that is largely agriculture and our vets pretty much do it all but we do have a couple of females in the Dixon practice that are pretty much dogs and cats. But the two gals in Amboy do t all. I think what might be different is internal medicine but what you are asking about one should be as good as the other.

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:40 pm

I agree Ezzy, but the 2 vets I showed, one having practiced for at least 12 years and the other basically right out of vet school looked at me and said they had no idea. Would love to find an old school vet around me who did it all. Had one when I lived in Arkansas who was awesome, but that was a long time ago.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:01 am

if you want another opinion here it is. Put some miconazole cream on it at least twice a day for a week or so and see how it responds. Worst case scenarioo, yes it COULD be a mast cell tumor, but ive never seen one of those on the head and they are USUALLY still covered in normal skin and hair. That'll be $25... :wink: :wink: :D

reba

Post by reba » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:27 am

Close to the eye.

Above the eye.

Just let it go until it gets better or worst.

Worry about it.

Maybe Judge Judy has an opinion.

Yes, there are Vets that specialize: dogs, cats, birds, snakes, cows, horses, goats, small animal, large animal, surgery, etc................

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:43 am

dog dr wrote:if you want another opinion here it is. Put some miconazole cream on it at least twice a day for a week or so and see how it responds. Worst case scenarioo, yes it COULD be a mast cell tumor, but ive never seen one of those on the head and they are USUALLY still covered in normal skin and hair. That'll be $25... :wink: :wink: :D
Deal... :wink: Will look into it. I don't think it's a tumor either.