Commet Dog Food - Info???

voodoo

Commet Dog Food - Info???

Post by voodoo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:59 am

Anyone else on here have any experience with Commet brand dog food? They are a company from Mississippi that sells in Louisiana. Yellow Bag, small kibble. Loking for opinions and experience with this food. THanks!

Dakotazeb

Re: Commet Dog Food - Info???

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:28 am

I looked up their web site. From looking at the Analysis and Ingredients I would suggest looking for another food. There are so many good dog foods out there that are better than Commet. Look at the first ingredient, it should be a meat like chicken or lamb. Not a meal or a grain. If you are serious about your dog don't skimp on their food. But a good quality food. Purina Pro Plan is probably fed by more breeders and sportsman than any other brand. Should be readily available in any area. Personally, I feed NutriSource but there are many other good foods out there. I'm sure the dog food topic has been discussed many time on this site so do a search and see what others have said. Good luck.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

voodoo

Post by voodoo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:30 am

Dakotazeb wrote:I looked up their web site. From looking at the Analysis and Ingredients I would suggest looking for another food. There are so many good dog foods out there that are better than Commet. Look at the first ingredient, it should be a meat like chicken or lamb. Not a meal or a grain. If you are serious about your dog don't skimp on their food. But a good quality food. Purina Pro Plan is probably fed by more breeders and sportsman than any other brand. Should be readily available in any area. Personally, I feed NutriSource but there are many other good foods out there. I'm sure the dog food topic has been discussed many time on this site so do a search and see what others have said. Good luck.
First, thank you for your information and taking the time to reply. Secondly, lets NOT assume that a person would not be serious about their dog....that would be like assuming you actually know a person on this forum personally...which most of us do not.

That said, there is a history of Commet brand food being used by some state agencies, mostly because it's cheap and the good 'ol boy system is in full swing with this product. If you don't understand what I am talking about it's ok, it's not important. I was just looking for any information people may have gathered from their use of the food. heck, didn't even know who had heard of it, lol!

Not to open another bag of worms, but what's your opinion of VIctor dog food?

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:30 pm

voodoo wrote:First, thank you for your information and taking the time to reply. Secondly, lets NOT assume that a person would not be serious about their dog....that would be like assuming you actually know a person on this forum personally...which most of us do not.

That said, there is a history of Commet brand food being used by some state agencies, mostly because it's cheap and the good 'ol boy system is in full swing with this product. If you don't understand what I am talking about it's ok, it's not important. I was just looking for any information people may have gathered from their use of the food. heck, didn't even know who had heard of it, lol!

Sorry, but I have no experience with Victor dog food. I would agree that Commet appears to be a cheap dog food. Reminds me of Ol' Roy sold by Walmart. Ol' Roy is so bad that the humane society in my previous town wouldn't take it even when donated.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:21 pm

I have no personal experience with it but looking up the feed it appears they have two different feeds and the high energy one looks like it would do OK for a regular diet but it could be better. the other feed that is lower guarantees is pretty cheap with two vegetable ingredients as the first two. Over all you could do better but I think you could get along with the 26-18 yellow bag. I have no idea what the prices are so you would have to check that out.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:31 pm

No experience with Comet, but I wouldn't be afraid to try the 26-18 and see how your dog does. I had my dogs on Victor Hi Pro for about a year until the price went up and they looked good and did well, had them on Loyall before that for a couple years dogs looked good did well on it until the price went up, have the dogs on Kirkland Puppy food now the dogs look great do well on it and it's pretty cheap (gives me a reason to pick up the Kirkland Bourbon) :lol:

Dakota,
I am pretty sure there are a lot of folks here that are "really serious about their dogs" (because their livelihood depends on dogs that can compete at a top level) who look for a meat or preferably chicken by-product meal as the first ingriedient and corn because that is what their dogs do the best on.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:
voodoo wrote:
First, thank you for your information and taking the time to reply. Secondly, lets NOT assume that a person would not be serious about their dog....that would be like assuming you actually know a person on this forum personally...which most of us do not.

Sorry, but I have no experience with Victor dog food. I would agree that Commet appears to be a cheap dog food. Reminds me of Ol' Roy sold by Walmart. Ol' Roy is so bad that the humane society in my previous town wouldn't take it even when donated.
I know of one of the well known breeder, trainer, and trialer in the country that feeds Ol' Roy and has for years. The Ol' Roy Hi protein isn't too bad of a feed. I think a lot of us have read too many marketing ads.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.