Updated: Any sensitive dog food recommendations?

Hondo

Updated: Any sensitive dog food recommendations?

Post by Hondo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

I took my 5 year old lab to the vet this past Friday because she has been vomiting the past few weeks. The vet is doing a bunch of blood work the results of which I should be getting soon.

The vet mentioned that I should try switching her to a sensitive stomach dog food or one with less ingredients since my dog may have developed a sensitivity/allergy to an ingredient in the dog food. She has been on Loyall Maintenance for the past 2 years.

I did switch her temporarily to Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach thinking that maybe she was eating a bad batch of dog food.
https://www.proplan.com/dogs/products/f ... h-formula/

The Pro Plan is not the cheapest there are. Any other recommendations? Or should I just stick with this feed?

Thanks in advance,

Hondo
Last edited by Hondo on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hondo

Re: Any sensitive dog food recommendations?

Post by Hondo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:31 pm

Update:

The vet did call on Monday and stated that my dog had an elevated liver enzyme, but did not say which one.

The vet stated that I could proceed one of three ways: 1) I could do more tests, 2) I could give my dog a liver enzyme medication, or 3) I could give the new dog food a chance, wait a month, and then test my dog for the specific elevated enzyme since the vet said that a bad batch of dog food or a sensitivity/allergy could cause the elevated liver enzyme levels.

I chose to wait and see. Since I switched her to the Purina food my dog hasn't been vomiting. So hopefully this will take care of her problems.

Hopefully this information is helpful to others.

-Hondo

mrgordonscott

Re: Updated: Any sensitive dog food recommendations?

Post by mrgordonscott » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:26 pm

I think you are on the right track with switching the dog food. I have had to do this before, with the same symptoms. The dog was puking every other night. I feed Diamond Naturals and I get it from a local pet shop. Usually the local pet shops are less expensive compared to the big box stores. I pay $40 for 40 lbs.