Front right leg limp/pad injury?

ESS13

Front right leg limp/pad injury?

Post by ESS13 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:24 pm

We have a 6 yr old English Springer Spaniel that is house/field. She recently has a decent limp on her front right leg and has been actively licking her what would be wrist area on a human. My wife jogged with her the other night and noticed the limp. Our dog did race down the stairs and leap off the last 2 or 3 stairs in excitement prior to the jog according to my wife. She has been on Metecam the last 3 days with little improvements. She refused to eat tonight and we immediately made our second vet visit in 3 days. The Xrays havent shown any definitive breaks. The vet thought it was either a soft tissue injury or maybe even a ligament injury. The vet says he noticed sensitivity in the pad area of her foot and that our dog is almost walking on her toes on her front right leg. That makes him think its a ligament injury. He suggested Metecam and lots of rest and recovery. Our dog has also been doing yard work as well this past week at full speed. She very couldve done something during a workout as well.

I would love to hear if anyone has experienced any similar symptoms or problems. Would also appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Front right leg limp/pad injury?

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:24 pm

I'm no vet but Metacam is a long tern NSAID . IMO it's not for a quick sprain /pain. I use Tramadol for that.

If the dog is on Metacam I assume you've seen the vet. The vet can often tell by manipulating the joint what is going on. Sometimes an x ray is needed.
I wouldn't be jogging with the dog until I see the vet.

Sorry Ezzy. More medication info than I know you like. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ESS13

Post by ESS13 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:32 pm

Thank you. The vet did take an x ray and manipulate joint. X rays were negative and the vet said probably a soft tissue injury. Our dog did throw up and refuse to eat for about 12-18 hours so the vet switched over to Rimadyl and Gabapentin. The end result was very good. Leashed walks only while on meds and today our dog seemed 95% to 100%. Will finish meds before encorporating exercise again.

The medication you suggested, that will work faster than a NSAID? Can you tell me how you use those meds? For example, how you use them and why. I am curious since I have experience with the NSAID's mostly and not much else.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:43 pm

This isn't a scientific study , but I thought my experience might be helpful to others.
In my original post here, I told of my 10 year old dog limping badly on one leg, for the past year, even after a 40 minute run .
I did some investigation on line and started Dasuqiun last Dec. Not that expensive and I get it from Amazon.

The problem is gone. We are back to a 2 hour + hunt with no limping.

*edited twice for spelling :roll:
Last edited by Sharon on Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:11 pm

We also use Dasuqiun MSM.

Amazon's price beat my vet's cost proce. I buy the large dog size chewables 60-120 pounds, gave the loading dose of one tab, then use 1/2 tab as maintenance. The bottle last twice as long, making it cheaper in the long run. My setters are ~50#.