she wont put on weight

setterpoint

she wont put on weight

Post by setterpoint » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:27 pm

dog will not gain weight .vet said shes health no worms try changing dog food did all that she can hunt hard all day acts normal eats fine and has plenty of energy would like to put a little weight she looks two thin she is a pointer and weighs about 30 to 35 pounds

DeLo727

Re: she wont put on weight

Post by DeLo727 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:05 am

I had a french britt that I could not put a pound on no matter what I did, obviously you want all the health issues scratched off the list but just like us, some don't put on weight

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:21 am

Like humans, dogs metabolism varies from dog to dog and breed to breed. If your vet has checked the dog out for the usual problems, I wouldn't worry about it. Have you ever noticed the body composition of a Olympic distance runner?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:12 am

Try satin balls. They have helped in the past with mine. I also have a very skinny pointer - like, looks like she should be dead almost! Vet can't find a problem and the dog eats. I've given up on this one, she just looks like a skeleton. But the satin balls have worked on rescues and my other dogs to add some weight.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:14 am

I am not a believer in trying to force a dog to gain weight if they are healthy. You even said in this case the vet says it is healthy and she runs and hunts with lots of energy so why are you wanting to make it gain weight. Sounds like looks is more important than performance. And a lot of do just that so I am not trying to be super critical but rather just make you rethink what you are suggesting.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:08 pm

I've had pretty good luck with adding a few pounds to a hard keeper by feeding an twice a day. I make the extra meal smaller than the regular one. They get more in without the digestive drama.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Be thank full, WAY to many fat dogs out there!

vrepola

Post by vrepola » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:39 pm

I have the same problem with a GSP male. Very healthy with lots of energy. I have tried 6 different foods over the past 4 years and nothing, not a pound. I stopped worrying about it and just decided he is going to be skinny.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:15 am

Some dogs just do stay thin. If I really want to put weight on a dog I feed raw tripe, known here as "dirty tripe" twice per day. It looks and smells revolting but only to humans ....most dogs love it. Don't know if it is available where you live though ?

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

ShackWorkingDog

Post by ShackWorkingDog » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:31 pm

You should try Satin Balls.... the original kind.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:33 pm

I would much rather have a dog a bit under weight and active then pudgy and excerting to much weight on growing joints which they are finding is making those dogs that are genetically predisposed to hip dysplasia worse then if they were kept lean
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:51 pm

Trekmoor wrote:Some dogs just do stay thin. If I really want to put weight on a dog I feed raw tripe, known here as "dirty tripe" twice per day. It looks and smells revolting but only to humans ....most dogs love it. Don't know if it is available where you live though ?

Bill T.
It is generally called "green tripe" here in the states, to distinguish it from processed tripe. It is one of those items whose availability is highly variable, dependent upon specialty suppliers, as green time is not allowed in the human food distribution system.

Dogs do love it, that's for sure.

I feed it regularly. Doubt many others on this forum do.

I like pointing dogs to run lean, but well muscled myself.

Bill