Deworming side effects.

Garrison

Deworming side effects.

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:04 pm

I am on my last day of a three day dosing, I used 1ml per 5lbs of dog of 10% safeguard goat wormer. My dog has been drinking a ton of water, needed out 4 times through the night. Normal? I can't remember him doing this last time. Could of been in the kennel can't remember.

Thanks
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Deworming side effects.

Post by shags » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:02 pm

I've used the same wormer at the same dosage on my dogs for years and haven't had any side effects at all. I'm kinda picky and do research before I try new things on them, and I never saw thirst/urination as a side effect with that wormer. I'm neither a biochemist or a vet, so take it FWIW.

Can you think of any other changes in your dog's routine or feed? Any chance he could have gotten into something not-so-good for him? Is this really unusual or has he done it before?

If you can't think of any possible cause, and if it doesn't stop really soon, I would have him vet checked for kidney problems or diabetes.

Good luck, I hope it turns out to be nothing.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Had him to two different vets in the last few weeks. When we were in Illinois he hunted one day fine and then was shivering really bad seemed like he was shedding and loosing some weight so I took him in and did a check up, temp was good did a blood panel and all his numbers were perfect, vet who we know well couldn't find anything wrong, it seemed like it passed and everything was good. Took him up to Nevada hunted him Monday and Wednesday, on the second day urine looked like it had blood in it so took him to another trusted vet and said he thought it was from running in deep snow but gave him some antibiotics and anti inflammatory to cover all bases. Urine cleared up the next day. Between those visits he lost two pounds. With mostly crate rest and normal feeding, while driving across the US. Checked with the Vet to see if I could worm him with what he was on and he said no problem. Thinking he could of been loosing weight due to parasites. As soon as I gave him the wormer started drinking a ton and saw a little blood on his stool. Forgot to mention he had some rotten breath and was burping, breath has seemed to clear up after the worming.
Last edited by Garrison on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Scroll down to the third paragraph under the heading "Behavioral Presentations". Might be a long shot, might be something to look into. Setters are one of the breeds prone to thyroid problems.

http://www.dogs4dogs.com/JR_Articles/do ... havior.htm

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Thanks Shags. It is my GSP but doesn't rule it out, I have a cattle dog that is already on replacement therapy. The interesting thing was he has always been really good in the crate but he went nuts when we were in Illinois when a thunderstorm came through. Bloodied up his face trying to get out. One more thing to ask the vet.
- Mark Twain-

digger

Post by digger » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:09 am

There are some GSP lines that are prone to hypothyroid problems. They have decreased "nose" function, lack of concentration and some act aggressively when they are suffering from "low thyroid" These dog are often misdiagnosed or even judged "normal' after a thyroid test panel is done. These dogs do not exhibit classic hypothyroid indications like hair loss, skin problems or weight gain in most cases. The medication is not expensive, but is given every day with dose adjustments as needed after proper dose is established. It is amazing the difference it makes in a dog that needs this medication when you finally get it sorted out. If it is a companion dog you might not even notice the problem but in high action sporting dogs it is evident if you pay attention and know your dog. I'm not a vet, don't play a vet on TV and didn't stay in the correct hotel. I have been down this road and am not the only one with this experience.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Have him checked for Lepto.