Feeding Fish to Dogs?

Montana

Feeding Fish to Dogs?

Post by Montana » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:46 am

I've seen people on TV in Alaska feeding chucks of fish to their sled dogs. It looks like in many cases that's about all the dogs get. I've wondered how the dogs process the bones, but evidently they don't have a problem with digesting them, getting them caught in their throat, etc. Any thoughts on this?

SCT

Re: Feeding Fish to Dogs?

Post by SCT » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:51 am

I feed mine a couple of raw sardines a day, but the bones are tiny and I haven't had a problem.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:39 am

The bones we have all learned shouldn't be fed to dogs refers to cooked hollow bones such as fowl because cooking makes them brittle and they splinter. Raw bones are not a big problem and would be easily digested. However, I have never seen the danger of small sharp bones getting caught in the throat addressed but would tend to think it would not be a problem due to being raw and flexible.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Montana wrote:I've seen people on TV in Alaska feeding chucks of fish to their sled dogs. It looks like in many cases that's about all the dogs get. I've wondered how the dogs process the bones, but evidently they don't have a problem with digesting them, getting them caught in their throat, etc. Any thoughts on this?
I feed my Vizsla whole raw oily fish (like Mackerel, Sardines, and Anchovies) about 3 times a week as part of a balanced Prey-Model raw diet, along with organs, meats, and items with meat and soft-edible bone (like chicken quarters, drumsticks, and thighs). Raw fish (and chicken) bones are easily digested by dogs, and are a great source of calcium. Cooked bones are to be avoided.

That said, there is a very dangerous (fatal) condition called "Salmon Poisoning" that can be contracted by dog's from eating Salmon and Trout from the Pacific Northwest. It happens when the fish are infested by a parasite that is itself infected with a microorganism (Neorickettsia helminthoeca). While the condition is very treatable is caught early, it is fatal otherwise.

I've seen conflicting reports on whether Alaska salmon carries the disease (Washington and Oregon are unquestionable sources). There is also conflicting information on how long (at at what temperature) infected raw salmon must the frozen to kill the parasites. Me? I would not take the risk of feeding raw salmon (or trout) to my dog. Not because of the bones, but due to Salmon Poisoning risks.

As I said, I feed a lot of raw cold-water oily fish whole.

Bill

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:19 pm

A year or so ago i was looking for somewhere for camping in the upper Midwest, and noticed warnings from a DNR or US Fish about not consuming trout from some lakes up there due to tapeworm infestation. Blech! :x Once in a while a big old bass flips itself out of our farm pond. The dogs don't seem interested to eat those, but they wait a few days and are happy to roll around on them.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:41 pm

My experience has always been that most dogs turn their nose up at fresh fish, But it might be completely different if just offered the meat or something processed. It would be my guess it is a lot like most other things, it is probably an acquired taste that starts when very young. I never tried, since if it is fit to eat, then it goes on the table and not for dog food. We do have some people trying to get a processing plant going near the Illinois River as the southern areas are over run with the Asia Carp and people are being injured by them jumping into the boat. Heard some talk about using them for dog food and cat food, but the bulk would probably be used for fertilizer.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:48 pm

Mine get a sardine most days with their kibble. They love it.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Montana wrote:I've seen people on TV in Alaska feeding chucks of fish to their sled dogs. It looks like in many cases that's about all the dogs get. I've wondered how the dogs process the bones, but evidently they don't have a problem with digesting them, getting them caught in their throat, etc. Any thoughts on this?
Any bones cooked ,no matter how small or large will become brittle. I reckon raw is natural :wink: