When to switch puppy to adult dog food

Spotshooter

When to switch puppy to adult dog food

Post by Spotshooter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:09 pm

I've heard many answers to this question.

Some say x months, others say when they have thier adult teeth...

What else should I be considering.

Thanks,
Spot

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: When to switch puppy to adult dog food

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:18 pm

I seldom use puppy food at all but have a time or two and do not like the results if used over a few weeks when you are weaning which starts ay approx. 3 weeks till 6 weeks of age.

My routine is a make a gruel for a couple of weeks and feed twice a day but leave a dry adult feed in front of them so they can start chewing on it when ever they feel hungry. Once they start eating it then the wet feed stops and they eat dry kibble from that point on. This has always worked well and allows a good controlled growth without the pups getting too fat.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:37 pm

I've never used puppy food either. A performance dog food is about the same protein /fat ratio and you get a LOT more for your money.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Spotshooter

Post by Spotshooter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:43 am

Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't consider those as an option...

Truth is mom (wifey) wanted to move to adult food mostly because the pup keeps licking the bowl of the other dog (different food).. But I more focused on nutrition impacts, so I want to weight until he's 8 months old before I start moving him off dry puppy food. Frankly he's 30lbs already at 5 months, and thank God the growth spurt stopped... So I was doing some reading and probing on making a switch.

I'll definitely check into some of the options as things move forward,
Thanks,
Spot

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:24 pm

I start all my puppies on Purina Pro Plan puppy Chicken and Rice dry as soon as they start getting teeth. they just nibble a little at first. By six weeks they are eating well and the mother is weaning them. I keep them on PPP til about 5 or 6 months and then go to performance. I would like a bit lower protein then performance probably around 26% but it is hard to find a lower protein quality food. watch the weight and try to keep his growth rate down a bit.
don't know what kind of a dog this but 30 pounds for a pointing type dog does not seem very big..................Cj