How many/much bones are safe for my GSP?

indiana

How many/much bones are safe for my GSP?

Post by indiana » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:06 pm

I eat a lot of meat and tend to always give the leftovers to my 7 year old GSP female. She doesn't actively hunt with me but she gets a good amount of exercise. Mostly venison, pork, lamb, and chicken... I'm just wondering if there's a limit.

It's never boiled meat, mostly oven cooked and smoked. I just want to make sure I'm not doing her wrong. Diet is probably 50% dry food, 50% meat with the occasional wet food or random snack here and there.

Thanks!

mtlhdr

Re: How many/much bones are safe for my GSP?

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:58 am

I think the general rule is any cooked bone (boiled, baked, smoked, bbq'd etc) is unsafe. Raw bones are ok but many folks avoid large weight bearing bone (marrow bones, knuckles, etc) for fear of cracking teeth.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:15 am

any uncooked bones are alright to give to dogs so befor you cook cut the meat of the bone cooked bones are to brittel for the dog so says my vet

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:57 pm

mtlhdr wrote:I think the general rule is any cooked bone (boiled, baked, smoked, bbq'd etc) is unsafe. Raw bones are ok but many folks avoid large weight bearing bone (marrow bones, knuckles, etc) for fear of cracking teeth.
+1

Also if a substantial portion of the diet is "homemade" (and 50% is substantial) it is necessary to feed proper percentages of meat (80%), soft-edible bone (10%), and organs (10%, with half being liver) to avoid nutritional deficiencies.

Bill