Skin irritation

philbous

Skin irritation

Post by philbous » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:14 am

My dog is 5 years old. For the past two months i have noticed his skin on the right front arm is irritated. Is this s skin irritation or something else? Thanks for your input. Image

Timewise65

Re: Skin irritation

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:30 am

I would see a vet, but looks like a spot from licking his fur. I would think allergy first, most allergies are food related and can occur anytime during a dogs life. I would try a grain free food for a few months....as grains are commonly an allergy issue for dogs. Next I would thing and medications that are new or health food, vitamins, etc. If something new has started, I would stop for a time.

Meanwhile give the dog some Benadryl, look on the internet for the proper dosage for a dog you size of dog. Give it to him daily as doasage is shown, and if this clears up in a few days, you will know for sure it is an allergy.....

Or best, take him to the vet...

Good Luck

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:09 am

Timewise65 wrote:I would see a vet, but looks like a spot from licking his fur. I would think allergy first, most allergies are food related and can occur anytime during a dogs life. I would try a grain free food for a few months....as grains are commonly an allergy issue for dogs. Next I would thing and medications that are new or health food, vitamins, etc. If something new has started, I would stop for a time.

Meanwhile give the dog some Benadryl, look on the internet for the proper dosage for a dog you size of dog. Give it to him daily as doasage is shown, and if this clears up in a few days, you will know for sure it is an allergy.....

Good Luck
Your advice is the same as I have heard before but there are somethings that need correcting. Most allergies are not related to food at all. Food allergies are quite rare but environmental allergies prevail. It's most likely to be certain weeds or plants and can be molds or other dusts or organisms. Even though food allergies are rare, allergies to grain is almost none existent. Practically all food allergies are related o the protein sources and not a bland form of carbohydrates which are largely just starch. Most of what you are saying comes directly from the marketing department of some dogfood company that is despertly trying to carve out a market in a mature business that has little room for newcomers
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:25 am

it's the start of a lick granuloma it can be something as simple as boredom

try a 50/50 mixture of anti biotic ointment and hydrocortisone ointment mix them in the palm of your hand then apply right before you take the dog out for a walk so he doesn't just lick it off

if you can get it to heal it will probably not be chronic
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:42 am

bobman wrote:it's the start of a lick granuloma it can be something as simple as boredom

try a 50/50 mixture of anti biotic ointment and hydrocortisone ointment mix them in the palm of your hand then apply right before you take the dog out for a walk so he doesn't just lick it off

if you can get it to heal it will probably not be chronic
I agree but I do not diagnose over the internet.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:20 pm

It does look like a lick granuloma, which is a pretty serious condition.

I'd get the dog into a vet to work on a program for healing the wound.

Bill

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:38 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Timewise65 wrote:I would see a vet, but looks like a spot from licking his fur. I would think allergy first, most allergies are food related and can occur anytime during a dogs life. I would try a grain free food for a few months....as grains are commonly an allergy issue for dogs. Next I would thing and medications that are new or health food, vitamins, etc. If something new has started, I would stop for a time.

Good Luck
Your advice is the same as I have heard before but there are somethings that need correcting. Most allergies are not related to food at all. Food allergies are quite rare but environmental allergies prevail. It's most likely to be certain weeds or plants and can be molds or other dusts or organisms. Even though food allergies are rare, allergies to grain is almost none existent. Practically all food allergies are related o the protein sources and not a bland form of carbohydrates which are largely just starch. Most of what you are saying comes directly from the marketing department of some dogfood company that is despertly trying to carve out a market in a mature business that has little room for newcomers
ezzy333....seems odd you would spend so much time contradicting something that is common knowledge, do you work in our take benefits from a dog food manufacture?

As for me, I am not in anyway involved in the dog food industry as you loosely suggest, but I am involved with gun dogs and have been for over 30 years now. Over these years, with many dogs, and great professional trainers and many great vets who all have advised me that dog allergies are "usually" food related! The only part of your comment that had a small grain of truth (pardon the pun) was your comment on dog foods. But you failed to point out the fact that in the last 10 years most all dog food manufactures have began offering 'grain free' food and many new companies have emerged using grain free products are a primary product line. And if you have not noticed, grain free products have changed this market forever! But I am sure this is all just good marketing the vets, pro's, and owners are just plain stupid! Right?

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:23 am

My male llewellin which the foot looks like which started at about 7 years old on trouble before has the same allgery & starts chowing on him self . I took him to the vet & gave him a steroid shot & some antobic pills Cleared right up tell this winter when I put straw in for a bedding it came rigth back so I cleaned house & put ceder chips in for bedding No more trouble As ezz said grain free food may help but check bedding Straw & hay can be the trouble go get him a shot & pills it will get worse I have changed to none grain dog food also but the bedding was the big trouble

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:14 pm

Timewise65 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Good Luck
ezzy333....seems odd you would spend so much time contradicting something that is common knowledge, do you work in our take benefits from a dog food manufacture?

As for me, I am not in anyway involved in the dog food industry as you loosely suggest, but I am involved with gun dogs and have been for over 30 years now. Over these years, with many dogs, and great professional trainers and many great vets who all have advised me that dog allergies are "usually" food related! The only part of your comment that had a small grain of truth (pardon the pun) was your comment on dog foods. But you failed to point out the fact that in the last 10 years most all dog food manufactures have began offering 'grain free' food and many new companies have emerged using grain free products are a primary product line. And if you have not noticed, grain free products have changed this market forever! But I am sure this is all just good marketing the vets, pro's, and owners are just plain stupid! Right?
Just had a long conversation with my vet this morning - and he's a pretty good derm guy- and all the grain free foods haven't really put a dent in skin problems as far he can tell in his practice. Not to say some dogs don't have sensitivities to foodstuff, but not every itch is food related.

Anyone else notice that the grain-free dog food mania came along hand in hand with the big human fad of gluten free and the disease du jour, celiac? I'd say a lot of the hype is marketing.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:35 pm

Timewise65 wrote:

Timewise, I am sorry if you thought I was blaming you or thinking you worked for a dog food company as that didn't enter my mind while reading your post. I did try to correct some of the things you were posting and that is based on being involved for many years in the manufacturing and marketing, but much longer in the research and quality assurance areas. I do understand what is going on in the industry and right now we are in the midst of people who have been convinced by marketing people that grain is not good. Many companies are aware of what is easy to sell and jump on the band wagon. But interestingly, most of the old reliable companies that are still feeding most of our performance and show competions dogs are still making the same feeds that have worked for years in those ares and the feeds have made little if any changes. And for your info I have not seen any evidence that grain free is a change that will forever change how we feed. All it will take to change things is for everyone to feed grain free and then some company will come out with a new and improved feed that has grain in it and we will see things start back to where we started. It has happened a million times through out history and it will continue to happen. And also just for your info, as I think many if not most know I have been involved with dogs for well over 60 years and during that time have raised, trained and boarded hundreds if not more and I practiced what I found was true while working with the feed industry for over 40 years before I retired. I am not is the business of trying to sell anything but I have for the past twenty years devoted a lot of time trying to teach people what I was lucky enough to be taught and experienced. There are many many things you probably know more about than I do so this is in no way a put down of you. but it just happens to be a subject I am very familiar with.

Look around and see what people are feeding and how their animals perform and you will find out the industry hasn't changed anywhere near as much as much of the marketing lingo would have you believe. Believe it or not, but what worked yesterday still works, what worked last year still works, and what worked 10 years ago still works. We do see minor improvements as we learn new things but the results in the field still are being produced by the same types of feed we have used for years.

Ezzy

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:26 pm

I'd agree that most of the "grain-free" kibbles are marketing-hype, with manufacturers simply replacing carbohydrates from grains with carbohydrates form non-grains.

What's incontestably shown my scientific research is that high-carbohydrate diets are a problem in reducing stamina and endurance vs feeding high-protein high-fat-diets.

The biggest marketing-hype is that dogs do best eating cereal.

Bill

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Recommend you see the vet philbus.
Many possibilities. I had a dog that only got a belly rash when a certain field plant was in full growth. Once it was gone , the rash was gone.

In the 60s, canned dog food was all the rage. Lorne Greene made a commercial pushing a product that had the "purest beef". When it comes to dog food some things never change. :) Buy the food that works for your dog and the one you can afford.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:51 am

Opinions :mrgreen: are like 'belly buttons' everyone has one!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:13 am

Timewise65 wrote:Opinions :mrgreen: are like 'belly buttons' everyone has one!
You are absolutely right and did you notice not a single person said you should change yours. They did comment on what is pretty much common knowledge and has been the common method of feeding for years. the evidence that it works is all around us and if you want to research it you will find a lot of supporting evidence that has been published. Good luck.

Ezzy

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:03 am

ezzy333 wrote:
You are absolutely right and did you notice not a single person said you should change yours. They did comment on what THEY BELEIVE is pretty much common knowledge and has been the common method of feeding for years (IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN DONE THAT WAY?). the evidence that it works OR DOESN'T is all around us (WHO HAS NOT LOST A DOG TO CANCER) and if you want to research it you will find a lot of supporting evidence BOTH FOR AND AGAINST that has been published. Good luck.

Ezzy
I agree with everything you said, with a few modifications noted in CAPS! I have found in life when someone is absolutely, positively sure they are correct....be very suspect! :mrgreen:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:02 pm

Timewise65 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
You are absolutely right and did you notice not a single person said you should change yours. They did comment on what THEY BELEIVE is pretty much common knowledge and has been the common method of feeding for years (IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN DONE THAT WAY?). the evidence that it works OR DOESN'T is all around us (WHO HAS NOT LOST A DOG TO CANCER) and if you want to research it you will find a lot of supporting evidence BOTH FOR AND AGAINST that has been published. Good luck.

Ezzy
I agree with everything you said, with a few modifications noted in CAPS! I have found in life when someone is absolutely, positively sure they are correct....be very suspect! :mrgreen:
I think that is a true statement but being suspicious does not mean they are wrong. I do hate that you changed what I wrote but labeled it as a quote. The quote feature is for actual quotes and should never be used when a quote is changed. You may have noted but just chose to ignore it when I said you can do(which kind of implies what you think) what you want but both research and experience shows what we are doing works. You can't argue with that if you look around an note what and how most people feed and care for their dogs. It also just doesn't sit well with most people when someone states that research results are just someone's opinion. Most research is carefully done, replicated and then pier reviewed before being published. I also noted there has been minor changes and there will continue to be in the future because there is not a positively correct method that will not change as new methods of testing along with new ingredients become available. This is just the way things happen when we are dealing with living animals. I for one at least see and hear the evidence everyday, here at home as well as practically every member of this forum talking about the performances of their dogs.

You did ask who hasn't lost a dog to cancer, and I would guess most people would be the correct answer. Personally, I have lost one from mammary cancer due to false pregnancies but had no connection to feed, out of the hundreds I have had over the years. And you also made reference to the fact that our method of feeding is the same as it always has been and that sure isn't true. There wasn't any commercial dog food in earlier years and dogs were fed scraps, leftovers, a lot of cornbread, sour milk, and anything they could find. I sold tons of pig feed for dogs in years past and we also had kennels that provided formulas for us to use and make feed for them and they all were primarily corn. Our farm dogs would go to the crib everyday and chew corn off of the cobs, so you can see how much dog feeding has changed in the not too distant past.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:43 pm

ezzy.....
Don't be too sensitive about quotes....If I had wanted to miss lead anyone I would have put your comments in "quotations".... :roll:

You are the first I heard say that when they lose a dog to cancer, they no exactly what caused it. I know vets can tell us what research is saying, but seldom if ever have I heard someone say they absolutely know what the root cause was!

As for your attempts to convince me and others about the good or bad related to grain free food, the folks I have ran around with for years, are mostly all grain free....now were talking about professional trainers, breeders, and folks who run their dogs in hunt tests and field trials. Of course you need to realize that I run retrievers not upland, so maybe that makes a difference....

But, the one thing I know for sure is that many disagree with your position and many disagree with mine....

Nuff Said!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Timewise65 wrote:ezzy.....
Don't be too sensitive about quotes....If I had wanted to miss lead anyone I would have put your comments in "quotations".... :roll:

You are the first I heard say that when they lose a dog to cancer, they no exactly what caused it. I know vets can tell us what research is saying, but seldom if ever have I heard someone say they absolutely know what the root cause was!

As for your attempts to convince me and others about the good or bad related to grain free food, the folks I have ran around with for years, are mostly all grain free....now were talking about professional trainers, breeders, and folks who run their dogs in hunt tests and field trials. Of course you need to realize that I run retrievers not upland, so maybe that makes a difference....

But, the one thing I know for sure is that many disagree with your position and many disagree with mine....

Nuff Said!
Difference is it is not position. I am just reporting what research and test results have proven or at least reported. Of course maybe they are all wrong. For your sake I spent a few minutes looking up allergies in dogs and No.1 is environmental such as weeds or pollen and such, No. 2 is fleas, lice or mites of some source, and No.3 is proteins in a food source. I had forgotten about No.2 as I never think of fleas being an allergy source. By the way , I am not being sensitive about quotes but rather explaining what a quote is since the word does mean something and I don't believe anyone wants to have someone else telling everyone what they said when they didn't say it. Just not kosher and will not be allowed here on the forum. We like to protect our members and keep everything honest if not accurate.

Ezzy

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:26 am

ezzy.....

My quick search on the subject revealed the following....I sure if you take the time, you could find some article somewhere that supports your position, key point here is that no one really knows what is the top cause...Food is one I hear most, but I can find support for that or support for other causes.......but regardless this is my last post on this subject....facts are facts....I did provide the links to these articles, one if from a vet site the next one is from a supplier of vet meds....! :mrgreen:

https://www.vetinfo.com/causes-allergies-dogs.html

What Causes Allergies in Dogs?
While humans show allergy symptoms often through their sinuses, allergies in dogs express themselves through the skin, resulting in overall itchiness and ear infections. Knowing the cause of the allergies can often help treat them, causing your dog greater comfort.
Flea Allergies
Even after you've eradicated a flea problem in your house, your dog could show signs of a flea infection if he's allergic to fleas. Bites can itch up to three weeks later for flea-allergic dogs, so it's important to prevent flea bites altogether.
If your dog is allergic to fleas, you will often notice him biting the lower half of his body, such as his sides, stomach, rear legs and possibly near his tail.
There is no way to treat these allergies, but they can be easily prevented by giving your dog flea preventative every three to four weeks. Try not to miss a dosage because even one rogue bite can cause the allergies to continue for another few weeks.
Food Allergies
Many dogs who eat the same food for long periods of time develop food allergies to those familiar substances. Dogs are commonly allergic to corn and wheat, which are found in many cheap dog foods, but they can be allergic to a range of things, including protein sources, fruits and vegetables or preservatives and other filler found in dog food.
Allergy tests are infective for diagnosing food allergies, so veterinarians usually prescribe a food trial, during which your dog is removed from all food and treats except a food with one novel protein source, such as duck or rabbit, and one carbohydrate source, such as potato. Then, foods are slowly added back in to determine which trigger allergic reactions.
If your dog has a food allergy, it should clear up when placed on the novel protein. If you don't want to go through a full food trial, try switching to a different brand of food with a different protein source than you currently feed and see if there are improvements.
Environmental Allergies
If your dog has environmental allergies, the symptoms will often appear seasonally. Environmental allergies are usually diagnosed by elimination. Once flea and food allergies are under control, environmental allergies are all that remain.
It's very difficult to treat environmental allergies since you can't control your dog's exposure to the environment. Some dogs respond well to antihistamines or steroids that treat the symptoms.
Dermatologists are now giving dogs allergy tests during which the dog's skin is exposed at low levels to likely allergens. Those that cause a reaction are used to create a vaccination through which the dog is exposed at low levels to the allergens for long periods of time, allowing him to build up immunity.
There are three main types of dog allergies: fleas, food and environmental. The difficulty in diagnosis is that your dog may have only one or all three. If your dog is troubled by persistent allergies, visit a certified canine dermatologist for a definitive diagnosis and begin to ease your dog's symptoms.

https://www.petcarerx.com/article/the-t ... allergies/

The Top 8 Causes Of Dog Skin Allergies
What Can Be Making Your Dog Itch?
By JESSE FELDMAN. March 22, 2014

Dogs itch and scratch on a daily basis. However, if you've noticed your dog scratching and licking more often than usual, it may be due to allergies. Find out the different type of allergies out there that could be plaguing your dog, and treatment options available.
If you’ve noticed your dog doing an unusual amount of itching, licking, or scratching, allergies may be to blame. Many vets report skin allergies as a top reason they see dogs. Allergies can affect dogs of all breeds and sizes and they can be hereditary or appear suddenly.

Inflamed, itchy, red, or scaly skin can be a sign of an allergic reaction. Abnormalities in a dog’s coat or skin should be a cause for concern, as they can indicate discomfort or an underlying health problem. Your vet will perform a full examination to determine if allergies are affecting your pup’s wellness.

Here are the 8 most common causes of dog skin allergies:
1. SEASONAL ALLERGIES
Common allergens like pollen, dust, grass, trees, mold, and weeds that affect humans seasonally can also affect dogs and their skin. Sensitivity to grass pollens (often misidentified as a grass allergy) is surprisingly common among dogs. Regular cleaning of paws, baths, and air purifiers can help lower incidences of seasonal allergies.
2. FOOD ALLERGIES
Food allergies or intolerance have unfortunately become very common in dogs. They can manifest suddenly, affecting your dog’s skin and digestion. Beef, soy, dairy, and wheat are common allergens. Exclusively feeding your dog a hypoallergenic food for several weeks can help unmask a food allergy.
3. SHAMPOO/SOAP
If your dog has a history of sensitive skin, consider switching to a hypoallergenic soap or shampoo as a proactive measure. A dog’s skin may react to insecticides or anti-flea chemicals in specialty shampoos. Also, never use your own hair products to groom a dog and only use products intended specifically for dogs.
4. FLEAS
Saliva from even one or two flea bites can trigger an allergic reaction on your dog’s skin. Flea allergy dermatitis causes red, bumpy lesions that can be very uncomfortable for the dog and require medical intervention.
5. CHEMICAL CONTACT
Things like household cleaning products and detergents can occasionally cause allergic reactions when they come into contact with a dog’s skin. Harsh carpet cleaners are one of the more common causes of a contact allergy indoors. Be cautious when applying chemicals anywhere your dog might step on or rub against.
6. MEDICATIONS
Antibiotics and vaccinations can sometimes cause a skin reaction in the form of hives. The hives often disappear within 24 hours of exposure to an allergen or medication, but if they do not, contact your vet.
7. FABRIC
Your dog’s bed could be contributing to a skin allergy. Fabrics like wool can cause itchy reactions for dogs. Choose hypoallergenic fabrics and keep bedding clean to avoid any triggers. Also remember to check labels because fillings like feathers can be allergens, too.
8. BACTERIAL HYPERSENSITIVITY
An underlying condition like hypothyroidism can make your dog’s skin overly sensitive to a regular amount of staph on their body.

If allergies are behind your dog’s discomfort, your vet will help you determine a management and treatment plan. It may include environmental control, immunotherapy, regular bathing and foot washing, antihistamines, or a new diet. With some extra care, your dog’s skin and coat can be healthy and bright once more.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:37 pm

philbous wrote:My dog is 5 years old. For the past two months i have noticed his skin on the right front arm is irritated. Is this s skin irritation or something else? Thanks for your input. Image
So what did your vet say?

Looks like my 4 year old rescue has the beginnings of one on the rear foot, looks like there is no easy cure just time and keeping the dog from licking the wound raw.

Grant