Can keep weight on 7 month GSP

Tarhe52

Can keep weight on 7 month GSP

Post by Tarhe52 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:43 pm

I am having a issue keeping weight on 7 month old male. I am feeding Avengers pheasant and brown rice 24/14, any suggestions to help he shows all his ribs

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Can keep weight on 7 month GSP

Post by cjhills » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:20 pm

find a higher fat food. maybe 30/20........................Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:25 pm

As CJ said.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:36 pm

agree higher fat and protein
also rule out worms
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:58 am

It took me a while to find the food. It's Evanger's and, ingredient wise, it seems like a decent food. However, like others have said, it's a low fat and low protein food with almost half of the calories coming from carbohydrates.

Also, it looks like it is a chicken free formula. Are you having chicken allergy issues? Otherwise, you could probably get a ltitle more bang for your buck, since it looks to be a $2/lb food, and half the calories are coming from brown rice and potatoes.

There are several choices in the $1-$2/lb range that will still have premium ingredients and meet or exceed that 30% protein 20% fat threshold.

All the best.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:59 am

Adding a TSP of Coconut oil helps my dogs and the coats look very good. Also a lot of young GSPs have weight issues. Are you sure she is to thin.......................Cj

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:34 am

i have a pointer shes 5 yr old now dog will not put on weight other dogs are setters put on to much weight feeding same dog food no worms some dogs like people are just made that way

salt creek gsp

Post by salt creek gsp » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:42 pm

I have had several hard keepers and found a 24/20 diet kept weight on the best. It can be very frustrating finding what works for your dog. Good luck.

minigooch

Post by minigooch » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:10 pm

Tarhe52 I have an active 2 y/o GSP and was not able to keep weight on him as a young puppy.( He was checked for worms). Its only been the last 4 or 5 months that he has kept it on . I feed him a 30/20 quality dog food. He has calmed down a bit but still runs constantly when I let him off leash. Sometimes thats just the way it is. I'd be curious to see what his parents look like .Good luck