Deep pad cut

petrey10

Deep pad cut

Post by petrey10 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:25 pm

While running the other day my dog got a very deep pad cut. I thought just keeping it clean from infection it'd heal fine. But I'm worried it won't..... Should I take a trip to vet or wait it out??? I keep going back and forth

ROTTnBRITT

Re: Deep pad cut

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:20 pm

The first time this happened to my dog I took him to the vet. They said keep it clean and keep him on a leash for at least a week maybe 2.
It's happened a couple times since then. I've done the same and have all healed up without a problem.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Ok great. Would hydrogen peroxide help? I've been just using water and little soap

zrp

Post by zrp » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Water, soap, triple antibiotics topically and time. The pad is virtually impossible to suture successfully.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:27 am

I'm not a vet, I'd suggest you see one at any sign of infection, but here's what I did for a very deep pad cut, healed up in about 10 days.
Every morning:
1. Soak foot in solution of warm water, Epsom salt and betadine (enough betadine for dilute tea color)
2. Dry thoroughly
3. Dress cut with EMT gel
4. Wrap foot in gauze and vet wrap. You may need a little athletic tape to keep it in place. The key is to keep dry and not too tight to allow blood and air circulation. Use a dog boot when outside.

Do the same thing at night except you won't need to wrap the foot as much (assuming your dog is kenneled), you just want to keep the dog from licking the foot. I used an old kids sock and some athletic tape to keep it on the foot. Restrict activity as much as possible.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:04 am

I have sutured them before, but have also just treated as listed above and they healed up okay. The only ones I sutured were the really deep cuts.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:31 am

I have used Wound Kote and Cut Heal to keep the dog from licking it's paw.