Rabies Vac while breeding female

nanney1

Rabies Vac while breeding female

Post by nanney1 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:56 am

Female went into heat last week and her rabies vaccination is due next week. I'm also planning to try and breed her next week. Are there any potential issues with receiving the vaccination just before, during, or just after the conception time?

mudhunter

Re: Rabies Vac while breeding female

Post by mudhunter » Fri May 06, 2016 8:40 pm

My vet advices against vaccinating while pregnant, but I would call and ask about doing it that close before breeding.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat May 07, 2016 5:43 am

rabies vac date is not that critical. Why take the chance. My choice would be to wait til the puppies are born......................Cj

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat May 07, 2016 7:50 am

cjhills wrote:rabies vac date is not that critical. Why take the chance. My choice would be to wait til the puppies are born......................Cj
I agree. IF the dog has had a rabies vaccine in the past, I would wait AT LEAST until you are sure she is pregnant. Rabies vaccine is a killed vaccine, so it should be safe to vaccinate at any time, but why cause any added stress to a dogs system when she is trying to conceive. If the county gives you greif about being past due, have your vet vouch for you. I have done that in the past and nobody seemed to have a problem with it.