Need some help for my lab

Hondo

Need some help for my lab

Post by Hondo » Wed May 18, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

Would you please recommend to me the Costco dog food that would work well with skin sensitive dogs? Costco has the Kirkland Signature brand and Nature Domain. Any one with knowledge of Costco's dog foods I would appreciate some advice on selecting the food that is least likely to cause problems for a skin sensitive dog.

Thank you in advance.

Hondo

Garrison

Re: Need some help for my lab

Post by Garrison » Wed May 18, 2016 7:25 pm

I read good things and when Loyall went up a little bit here I tried the chicken and rice formula for a couple months, dogs didn't look good, tried a couple bags of the puppy, still didn't work out so well for my two, their coats really went down hill. Put them back on Loyall and all is back to normal. My parents feed the chicken and rice from the same Costco and their three dogs do well on it. Good luck.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:25 pm

If I understand what skin-sensitive means food would have nothing to do with it as it doesn't come into contact with the skin. A sensitive skin would react to some type of irritant in the environment. As far as feed goes, if your dog reacts to a certain feed, that would be an individual allergy and not something that would effect another dog.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu May 19, 2016 1:58 pm

Hondo wrote:Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate some advice on selecting the food that is least likely to cause problems for a skin sensitive dog.

Thank you in advance.

Hondo
Raw Green tripe , but I doubt Costco will help, have you contacted them as your preferred supplier?
The skin sensitive advice may come from your vet .

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Thu May 19, 2016 2:14 pm

The last time I read the ingredients list of the Nature's Domain, it looked good. Actually, at that time it was the same as one of the expensive super premiums, although I don't remember which one. It's been a couple of years since I looked at it.

Anyway, I think that the super premium dog food had a contract to sell the exact same food to Costco under Costco's label.

If you have a dog with food sensitivities, you are going to have to try different dog foods until you find one that works for your dog. Sometimes, adding a bit of oil to the dog's diet will help with skin issues.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu May 19, 2016 2:45 pm

Basically work your way through them all in the store until you find what suits (You) . It may not fix or resolve any particular skin issue ,but during this time you will have satisfied yourself that you have tried them all in the store .