Raw spots on both paws

Taylor_B

Raw spots on both paws

Post by Taylor_B » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:50 am

Hi all -
recently, we noticed that our 2 YO lab/weim mix limping was a bit on her left foot.
I took a peek at her paw and noticed that she had two larger raw pink spots on her middle pad.
In examining her right paw, I noticed a smaller raw spot.

We're a little confused as to how she got these. She does most of her running/conditioning on soft surfaces, and though she is my running/biking buddy, I rarely, if ever, take her on road runs -especially considering the warm weather. She usually only accompanies me on trail runs, and never during the heat of the day (usually we go well after 7pm, when it's shady and cooler as she's not a fan of the heat). One of the trails I do take her on is a soft gravel/sand surface - I'm assuming this might have done the damage?

Needless to say, looking to hear what folks do to get these painful raw spots cleared up?
On the paw with the two larger spots, we've applied a salve, wrapped with a shortened ace bandage, and a sock pulled over top, for a few hours per day, just to try and keep her from licking at it, and allowing it some time to heal.

At the present time, she'd go nuts if i put a sock on both of her feet, so for the paw with the smaller lesion, we're attempting to just keep it clean, and and hoping it heals on its own/doesn't get any larger.

And personal insight is welcome. I've heard good things about regularly applying Musher's Secret, but I wasn't sure if this is something that can go on while she's healing? Will this help a wound get better?
I've also heard from another owner not to do anything - that these spots just heal up on their own?
Thoughts?

Thanks!
-Brooke
Last edited by Taylor_B on Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

art hubbard

Re: Raw spots on both paws

Post by art hubbard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:56 pm

sounds as tho she has slipped a pad, best thing is to stop running her for awhile. you can try some "tuff pad" if you care to but I have found thru the years rest is the best medicine.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:01 pm

Labs have weak pads.

Rest, and you may want to add a pad supplement with zinc and biotin. Watch for secondary infection that could extend the healing period.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:13 pm

Epsom salt /warm water 2 min. soaks 2-3 times a day/ elizabethean collar to keep the dog from licking the spots/ rest ( I am not a vet; this is just what I would do.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Taylor_B

Post by Taylor_B » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:07 am

Thank you, everyone!
She's definitely been resting this week - though she's certainly not happy about that.
we've only been taking her out into the yard for a brief stint of about 20 to 30 minutes in the evening, and letting her get some good sniffing around our property, since she's going stir crazy.
Her "weimy" nature comes out in her very apparent attitude, and you can tell she's visibly bored, and irritated, that she can't get out and get her normal exercise right now!
Looking forward to her getting healed up!
Thanks for the feedback!

tbriggs8

Post by tbriggs8 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:15 am

If you can find a tube or jar of corona ointment and out that on it works pretty well. You can find it at cal-ranch or Murdoch's.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:25 pm

When I get the dogs up into chukar areas with scoria, that bubbly lava rock, they have gotten dime sized skinned spots on their pads. I let them run around in the yard and they heal up fine. Takes at least a couple weeks out of the rocks. I've tried to hunt them after a week and they are right back bleeding within a half hour. A couple weeks in a too short hunting season stings a little. And they sure aren't happy.