GSP Puppy had a seizure help!

Fish Bum

GSP Puppy had a seizure help!

Post by Fish Bum » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:29 am

Just got the puppy at 8 weeks old from a reputable breeder. He is the cutest little guy but have been having some issues. He got sick on the long drive back quite a few times, which was to be expected. However, once he had been home for several hours and had plenty of time to toilet/ adjust to all the excitement something strange happened. My wife heard the puppy crying and noticed his body was rigid on the ground. His back was arched, his legs were locked straight out in front of him, and he was doing a strange kind of roll almost like he was trying to stand up but couldn't. I held the pup upright trying to help it get its balance but he stayed locked up and unable to stand on his own for about a minute. The pup did not eat his regular meal that day since he was going to be in the car, but he did eat when we brought him home. When we called the vet he said it must have been some sort of stomach cramp from not eating all day. We noticed when we got him home he had two small cuts on the top of his head and has a scratch on his eye from his littermates. To add to the story, last night my wife was lying with the pup on the couch and she noticed the pup stiffen up and start crying out of nowhere. His legs locked up, his back sort of arched, and he began roll in strange way. He whimpered the entire time for about a minute or two and I coaxed him through it just like the first time it happened. The pup had a completely normal day with food and exercise. After both episodes he acted as if nothing was wrong, he became active and playful. We have had him for 10 days now. If anyone can relate or has had a similar experience please let me know. We plan on taking him to the vet once they open.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP Puppy had a seizure help!

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:46 pm

I'm sorry you have that kind of start with your new pup. DEfinately see the vet again and i'd be talking to the breeder. Any kind of health clearances received on purchase ?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:10 am

I'd return the pup for a refund. However, it is possible that the seizure was caused by low blood sugar levels if the pup didn't get regular meals while traveling. If it happened again after regular meals, your pup has epilepsy.

Stomach cramp? I suggest that you shop for a new vet while you are at it.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:26 pm

oregon woodsmoke wrote:I'd return the pup for a refund. However, it is possible that the seizure was caused by low blood sugar levels if the pup didn't get regular meals while traveling. If it happened again after regular meals, your pup has epilepsy.

Stomach cramp? I suggest that you shop for a new vet while you are at it.
I would also be talking with the breeder. I bought a pup that had siezures but they did not start until he was older. He was from a very reputable breeders stud dog and a outside female. I gave him to a family for a pet/hunting dog he 'has to be on medication all the time now. Don't really know what it was.
I agree with the stomach cramp quote above......CJ

Fish Bum

Post by Fish Bum » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks for the info it was much appreciated. The pup ended up having a severe case of portosystemic shunt. There was nothing I could do for him since his liver was shutting down. Ended up having to put him down. The breeder was extremely sorry and ended up getting me another pup from another breeder. I have to wait until October 18th. The breeder never had any of his pups experience this congenital disease before. Getting the pup put down has to be one of the hardest things I have ever seen.

R.I.P
River

ckgsp

Post by ckgsp » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:42 pm

That can be hard on the family. I dont think the vet did a good job on that call.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:31 pm

Wow. Sorry for your loss. A puppy is so full of love and happiness. That had to be a rough one.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:42 am

So sorry for you.