Peeing and then peeing again

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Peeing and then peeing again

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:24 pm

My almost 11 year old setter has started peeing several times in the night. (has a dog door during the day.) Took her to the vet with a urine sample , and it came back healthy ; plan to take in an early morning sample next week.
Only thing that changed in her life style was a switch to totally wet dog food 5 weeks ago. Vet said this can cause excessive peeing - along with the humidity we have had for weeks ( more drinking of water). I'm switching her to dry ( plus some wet to get her to eat the dry), urinary health dog food.

I have had many dogs who have come down with a variety of illnesses in their old age , but never had an older dog get an urinary tract problem.

Helpful thoughts appreciated.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Peeing and then peeing again

Post by polmaise » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:59 pm

I'm sure your vet is more qualified to answer and provide help Sharon.
Personally though this was one probable I have come across .
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/uri ... ystalluria

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:46 pm

Thank you.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Did the UA include specific gravity? I would think about asking for bloodwork to check kidney function.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:19 pm

Will do. Thanks.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:25 am

Has she been spayed. That happened to many dogs I know is incontinence. My old Picabo would Pee in her sleep. Proin can help that
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:44 pm

Yes , she is spayed. Taking in a first morning pee sample in to day and getting a blood test for kidney problems.

I don't think I mentioned it here, but this dog was badly beaten up by a deer ( fawn near) 6 weeks ago - wounds, punctured lungs , broken ribs . I'm now wondering if kidney damage was done .

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:58 pm

Kidney problems aren't uncommon in older dogs. It just happens :(

Setter mojo coming your way, hoping for good news and an easy fix.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:42 pm

up date :

No bladder etc infection ; kidneys are good , so I /vet attribute it to old age., spayed dog is 11 years old almost. I did switch to Urinary Care dog food 9 days ago and there has been no night time peeing this week. No idea if that is what is making the difference, but for now I'm sticking with it.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:04 am

This is not a helpful thought, but I'm sure you getting the urine sample from the dog was quite the sight!! :lol:
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Yes it was. Following the dog all over the back yard ready to pounce with a bowl. :) Seems to me it would be much easier with a male.