Addisons Disease

Born2Hunt

Addisons Disease

Post by Born2Hunt » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:20 pm

Had my 2 year old gsp diagnosed with Addison's.. Anyone ever hunt a dog with it or know someone who has??

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrp

Re: Addisons Disease

Post by zrp » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:54 am

I would say that will be determined on a case by case basis. Once he is well controlled and electrolytes are back in balance, I'd try it. Addison's disease affects a dog's ability ( body, not mind) to handle stress. I bet you'll be able to do some day hunts near home at least. Later on, if that goes well and you plan a trip away from home, monitor him closely for even the most subtle symptoms and I'd find a vet that sees emergencies near the hunting spot before I went. An Addisonian crisis can be life threatening. Good luck

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:52 am

Didn't know anything Addison's. Had to Google it.
Sorry for the news you got. Doesn't sound good for a dog that lives to hunt.
Hope you can get your dog out a little and put a smile on both your faces

birddogdoc

Post by birddogdoc » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:56 pm

I think zrp makes a good point; each dog with Addison's is unique. It depends on whether your case is typical or atypical Addison's, whether your dog's disease is being well managed on medication, etc. Theoretically, it's possible to return to some high intensity activity, but that's a conversation to have with your vet. Out of curiosity, what happened that caused you to take him to the vet prior to the diagnosis?

zia

Post by zia » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:00 pm

I am a veterinarian and have hunted with an addisonian dog ( english springer spaniel) . I would be happy to share my experiences with you.. MFors237@aol.com