Dog Food

CWT

Dog Food

Post by CWT » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:53 am

I am thinking of switching dog food for hunting season. The current feed has rice as a carbohydrate source but thinking of switching to a feed with corn. What are ya'lls thoughts?

MonsterDad

Re: Dog Food

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:09 pm

There is nothing wrong with corn per se but 9.9/10 it will be in a food that is otherwise low quality.

That is the issue.

Your dog will be no different eating a food with corn over rice. Protein and fat are the more important things to consider.

Dr. Tim's Pursuit 30/20 is what I recommend or Nature's Variety Original Instinct Chicken 38/20. The former can be bought from Chewy.com at a great price in 44lb bags, free delivery and no tax. The other you can find at Petco or Petsmart. Both excellent foods.

What is the perceived benefit of corn?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:53 pm

MonsterDad wrote:There is nothing wrong with corn per se but 9.9/10 it will be in a food that is otherwise low quality.

That is the issue.

Your dog will be no different eating a food with corn over rice. Protein and fat are the more important things to consider.

Dr. Tim's Pursuit 30/20 is what I recommend or Nature's Variety Original Instinct Chicken 38/20. The former can be bought from Chewy.com at a great price in 44lb bags, free delivery and no tax. The other you can find at Petco or Petsmart. Both excellent foods.

Corn in a feed does not in anyway effect the quality of the other ingredients. Many of the best brands use corn in some of their feeds. I have not researched it so can't say for sure today but the feeds without grain are normally higher priced but that does not spell higher quality. The difference in corn or rice is other nutrients corn carries that rice does not such as higher fat, protein, minerals and vitamins. That doesn't make the feed better, as the differences are normally accounted for and balanced with other ingredients. I think you will find that the feeds with corn will provide basically the same nutrients but will do it cheaper for a variety of reasons. The change you mentioned would be OK but it is doubtful you will see much difference in performance since few of us are taxing our dogs to the extent that it would show. There are many reasons for difference in cost and quality of results would not necessarily rank real high on the list.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 pm

Purina Pro Plan--Salmon and Rice, 30% p 20% fat. Has corn and is a great dog food. Get it from chewy.com No tax 2 day free shipping

CWT

Post by CWT » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:09 am

So the reason I had asked this question is that I read a couple of articles ( one from Purina and one from a University ) that said corn supplied a sustained level of energy while rice provided more of an instant burst.

ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:There is nothing wrong with corn per se but 9.9/10 it will be in a food that is otherwise low quality.

That is the issue.

Corn in a feed does not in anyway effect the quality of the other ingredients. Many of the best brands use corn in some of their feeds. I have not researched it so can't say for sure today but the feeds without grain are normally higher priced but that does not spell higher quality. The difference in corn or rice is other nutrients corn carries that rice does not such as higher fat, protein, minerals and vitamins. That doesn't make the feed better, as the differences are normally accounted for and balanced with other ingredients. I think you will find that the feeds with corn will provide basically the same nutrients but will do it cheaper for a variety of reasons. The change you mentioned would be OK but it is doubtful you will see much difference in performance since few of us are taxing our dogs to the extent that it would show. There are many reasons for difference in cost and quality of results would not necessarily rank real high on the list.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:48 am

I think they are right but not sure you will notice it unless you are working the dog hard for several days in a row.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

CWT

Post by CWT » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:09 am

Thanks Ezzy. At most we hunt 4-5 hours a day for 2-3 days in a row.