Flea season

DudeRN

Flea season

Post by DudeRN » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:03 am

It must be flea season. I have been using a Seresto collar on our brittany with great success, with our main concern being ticks.

However, this fall our Britt has had problems with fleas. I thought the collar that I put on in spring might be beyond its effectiveness, so I bought a new one and put it on a couple of weeks ago.

However, we have still been finding fleas. The house doesn't seem to be infested, as none of us are getting bitten. She isn't completely covered with them, but if I do a close check on her I will usually find 4 or 5, mostly on her underbelly and near her vulva. I tried using some flea wipes on her that are natural/herbal (peppermint oil based) with some success but still not 100%

I suspect she is picking them up on our daily walks in the woods. Our vet said it would be fine to combine the Seresto collar with another preventative, but that makes me a little nervous.

Is it just that this is a particularly bad year for fleas in the northeast? Anyone else having a rough flea season?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Flea season

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:06 pm

Very bad here in SW ON due to the extreme heat/humidity this summer. The NEXguard I use has done its job well ; no fleas/ticks on the dogs or in the house.
Our winters are becoming more mild ; fleas/ticks will live down to 4 degrees celsius , so I'm considering having my dogs on this pesticide all year.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:54 pm

No product will kill the fleas in the corner... They have to get on the dog to be exposed to the pesticide. Temps are starting to drop in many places, fleas are looking for a warm food supply for the winter.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:06 am

The house is probably infested whether your getting bit or not. They are like mice, for every one you find / see there are many more.