Kirkland dog food

MGIII

Kirkland dog food

Post by MGIII » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Do any of you feed your hunting dogs Kirkland brand dog food? I currently feed my 2 dogs pro plan sport and may be looking for a less expensive alternative.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Kirkland dog food

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Doesn't look bad to me , although I haven't used it , and am no dog food expert. High protein % but lower fat than I like. I wouldn't use it with a 10+ aged dog as that high protein is hard on the kidneys.

https://corey.ca/north-paw/north-paw-adult

PS disclaimer : I am not a fussy dog food buyer. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:59 am

MGIII wrote:Do any of you feed your hunting dogs Kirkland brand dog food? I currently feed my 2 dogs pro plan sport and may be looking for a less expensive alternative.
It's made by Diamond.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:52 am

With two dogs at best it might save you $20 a month. For me It would not be worth the change, given my Diamond experience. JMO.............................CJ

MGIII

Kirkland dog food

Post by MGIII » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:52 am

nikegundog wrote:
MGIII wrote:Do any of you feed your hunting dogs Kirkland brand dog food? I currently feed my 2 dogs pro plan sport and may be looking for a less expensive alternative.
It's made by Diamond.

I thought so but wasn't positive. Thanks

MGIII

Kirkland dog food

Post by MGIII » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:53 am

Sharon wrote:Doesn't look bad to me , although I haven't used it , and am no dog food expert. High protein % but lower fat than I like. I wouldn't use it with a 10+ aged dog as that high protein is hard on the kidneys.

https://corey.ca/north-paw/north-paw-adult

PS disclaimer : I am not a fussy dog food buyer. :)

Thank you Sharon.

reba

Post by reba » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:10 am

Have been using Kirkland chicken and rice for better than ten years.

All five dogs look great!

I like the looks I get from people in the store when I have a load of 10 bags on my cart.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:33 am

I have fed Diamond for years with excellent results, Have tried many others but never found any that were better though many were more expensive and cost a lot more to use. That makes a real difference when you are feeding a kennel full of dogs. I can not claim Diamond is better than anything else but I have never found a feed that did more for the buck, and that is important.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:25 am

I've fed Diamond for a couple of decades. A couple of times switched to something "better" but results weren't worth it, and always switched back. My dogs have been on Extreme Athlete for several years now, and do very well on it. My old guy is on a Purina formula for old dogs, but if Diamond made such a formula, I would go to it in a heartbeat.

MGIII

Kirkland dog food

Post by MGIII » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I would go Kirkland if they had one for hi energy. I'm gonna switch from PPP to diamond hi energy which I have used in the past.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:31 pm

MGIII wrote:Thank you everyone for your feedback. I would go Kirkland if they had one for hi energy. I'm gonna switch from PPP to diamond hi energy which I have used in the past.
Good choice. Hope you like the job it does.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 pm

My parents (brittanies), my brother-in-law and sister (GWP), and I (lab and english setter) feed our dogs Kirkland Grain Free. I started with the Chicken and Rice and then moved to the Grain Free because my lab like the Grain Free better. I think both are good foods and all of our dogs do well on it. I have recently switched to Diamond Performance because I want a 30/20 food for hunting season.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:09 pm

I have feed the beef & patoto or fish & pat. for 2yrs because it is grain free , its the best priced grain free I can find my dogs are 7 & 8 yrs old they eat it good & no trouble that I see so plan on staying with it

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:45 am

I am going to revive this thread. I have been feeding my Lab puppy Kirkland Natures Domain puppy food since he was about 10-11 weeks old. I started him on Pro Plan puppy as that's what the breeders were feeding him, but switched due to cost and the nutrition breakdown being very similar. My question is what do others think of this food? My pup is 6 months old and eats 4 cups of this a day. He is still pretty skinny but is growing like a week, poops like a horse, and I have no concerns. I have heard mixed reviews on the Diamond dog food. Is there any validity to these complaints? Should I be looking into a different food, and if so what?

terrym

Post by terrym » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:56 am

In the off season I feed a 50/50 mixture of Acana and Kirkland. During hunting season I go 75% Acana 25% Kirkland. I find the Kirkland stuff very good value and dogs like it.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

TTIERNS

Post by TTIERNS » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:53 pm

I feed the Kirkland "Super Premium" grain free that has a higher fat and protein content than the regular Kirkland dry dog food. My breeder recommended it and it work for my Brit.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Good feed but expensive isn't it?

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:53 am

ezzy333 wrote:Good feed but expensive isn't it?
It's around $40 plus tax for a 35 pound bag. Pretty much on par with the other "premium" foods, but there are some that are upwards of $75 for a 40 lb bag making the Kirkland food one of the better priced options.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:27 am

I have feed Kirkland beef & patatoor Fish & patato For about 2 yrs to my 7 & 8 yrs old they eat it good it is grain free there helth has been great . I do not live near Or have there card so my daughter gets it for me if I run out we have a Tractor supply neer & I get there 4 health Beef or fish & patato just a little more expence not much & my dogs do not seam to know the difference

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:43 pm

gunguy wrote:I am going to revive this thread. I have been feeding my Lab puppy Kirkland Natures Domain puppy food since he was about 10-11 weeks old. I started him on Pro Plan puppy as that's what the breeders were feeding him, but switched due to cost and the nutrition breakdown being very similar. My question is what do others think of this food? My pup is 6 months old and eats 4 cups of this a day. He is still pretty skinny but is growing like a week, poops like a horse, and I have no concerns. I have heard mixed reviews on the Diamond dog food. Is there any validity to these complaints? Should I be looking into a different food, and if so what?
There is so much pseudoscience and mommy-blogger type stuff out there in the dog food world these days, that its almost like listening to an Anti-Vaccination activist sometimes. Actually, its worse because the information isn't easily at hand. "That ingredient is a BINDER. That ingredient is a FILLER. That ingredient has a name that I can't pronounce so I'm going to call it Poison!" But people don't realize that to have a balanced kibble you need fillers and binders to keep the food in form, to keep that high fat content from turning rancid, etc...Or they don't realize how much moisture must cook out of a raw meat ingredient.

Plenty of people have fed their dog bog-standard purina (or lesser foods) for the dogs entire lives and the dogs have lived long lives.

I feed Diamond Extreme Athlete because I absolutely cannot keep weight on my dog even with Purina 30/20, but fed 30/20 for awhile and have nothing against it.

Costco in general has some pretty rigid quality controls on their stuff. SO that's something to consider. I wouldn't worry about feeding it. But then again, in Human Nutrition, i'm more of a "IIFYM" rather than a "Clean Eating" type.

TTIERNS

Post by TTIERNS » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:49 pm

I pay $28 for a 35# bag of super premium Chicken at Costco.