Bulged Disc

Dakotazeb

Bulged Disc

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:50 am

My 8 year old Brittany has been diagnosed with a bulged disc in her back. Meds and strict rest for 6-8 weeks. There goes my hunting season. Anyone else ever deal with this issue? Can I expect a complete recovery?
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Bulged Disc

Post by shags » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:17 am

One of my setters had that, she was around 10-11 years old. It caused some grief for a while, but she recovered to where she resumed her activity level without problems. It was a week or two that she needed help on the deck steps, nonslip rugs on the vinyl floor, and sometimes help to get up, but after that it seemed like she improved quickly.

Sorry about your season, but don't push the dog's recovery. It takes as long as it takes, and rushing things can set you back.

Good luck, best wishes for a complete recovery.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:34 pm

After 4 weeks of crated rest and meds she was showing no improvement. Took her to the University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center and they did a MRI. It showed a mass on her spine. Pretty sure it's cancer but the biopsies were inconclusive. There is an extremely small possibility the mass showing is an infection so we have started her on antibiotics for a week to see if there is any improvement. If not then it's about 99.9% certain it's cancer and not much we can do but make her comfortable until it's time for the inevitable. Been a sad couple of days around here because I've never had a dog I've been so attached to and the dog so attached to me.

GSPONPOINT32

Bulged Disc

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:51 pm

So sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarbyWHOA

Post by DarbyWHOA » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Very sorry to hear this.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:After 4 weeks of crated rest and meds she was showing no improvement. Took her to the University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center and they did a MRI. It showed a mass on her spine. Pretty sure it's cancer but the biopsies were inconclusive. There is an extremely small possibility the mass showing is an infection so we have started her on antibiotics for a week to see if there is any improvement. If not then it's about 99.9% certain it's cancer and not much we can do but make her comfortable until it's time for the inevitable. Been a sad couple of days around here because I've never had a dog I've been so attached to and the dog so attached to me.
Very sorry to hear that. It's never easy. Every dog I've had has passed on due to some different problem. Let's hope it's just an infection.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Certainly hoping for the best. Hope you and your friend fill many more game bags.

reba

Post by reba » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:22 pm

Find an animal chiropractor.

Fixed my ACD right up.

Of course if you don't believe in chiropractic's ______________________________

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:36 pm

reba wrote:Find an animal chiropractor.

Fixed my ACD right up.

Of course if you don't believe in chiropractic's ______________________________
I don't think a chiropractor is going to fix cancer.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Zeb,

Sorry to hear this news. Major setter mojo from us to you and your dog with hopes that the mass is an infection.
Do you have a pathology report on the biopsy?

Having lost a dog to lymphoma, and another to osteosarcoma, I have an idea what you are going through. It's very difficult. On the other hand, I had a horse with a malignancy behind his eye which was mostly removed ( the tumor...eye was removed entirely) and he lived another 10-12 years before succumbing to the infirmities of old age. So maybe there's hope, especially with an inconclusive diagnosis.

Best wishes to you and yours.

reba

Post by reba » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:31 am

Sorry. I have no idea what a bulged disc has to do with cancer.

"A bulging disc injury is a common spine injury sustained to your spine's intervertebral disc. It can occur in your lumbar spine (lower back), thoracic spine (upper and mid-back) or your cervical spine (neck)."

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:44 am

If you had read on it turned out not to be a bulged disc.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:56 am

reba wrote:Sorry. I have no idea what a bulged disc has to do with cancer.

"A bulging disc injury is a common spine injury sustained to your spine's intervertebral disc. It can occur in your lumbar spine (lower back), thoracic spine (upper and mid-back) or your cervical spine (neck)."

Reba, take the time to read a few posts up. It turned out not to be a bulged disc. A MRI last week showed a mass on her spine between the L2 and L6. It also showed it involved in one of the vertebrae. Biopsies were taken of the mass but came back inconclusive. The doctors at the University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center are quite certain we are dealing with a cancer and in it's location there really isn't much to be done. On the one in a million chance the mass was an infection they started her on antibiotics for a week to see if there is any improvement. We are now 3+ days on the antibiotics and I've seen no improvement. She is still on pain meds and I can tell when they wear off. I'm afraid that my dear girl will be making the final trip to the vet quite soon. :(

reba

Post by reba » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:47 am

I'm very sorry your little girl is so sick.

My thoughts are with you.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:30 am

I had exactly this same think on my first GSP.
It started with pain in his back. Xray showed a bulged disc. He did well on Rymadahl for several years but eventually it became evident it was cancer and we had to put him down........Cj