Rattlesnake bites-

randomnut

Rattlesnake bites-

Post by randomnut » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm gonna be in rattlesnake country the next few weeks. My dogs have gotten one of the rattlesnake vaccines, but my vet says they'll need a booster in a few weeks.

What medication should I keep with me in case of a bite. I'll mostly be training on the weekends when the vets are closed.

Timewise65

Re: Rattlesnake bites-

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:23 pm

I am not expert, but I have read that for a snake bite, get the dog cooled of and as calm as possible to slow the heart rate, thus slowing the poison going through the body. Also, if you have ice or coldpack place over the wound with a towel between the skin and ice. Then transport the dog to the nearest vet!

The best way to keep from losing or injuring a dog from a snake is have someone who knows how train the dog on Snake Avoidance. I seen this guys work and when they are done with the dog if is smells or sees the snake they will stay away from it....

Good Luck

reba

Post by reba » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:19 am

Before you go on your hunt do a search for a Vet that will be close to where your will be hunting. Call them and ask them how many snake bits they treat each year. Also ask them if they keep the anti-venom in stock. Many don't because it is expensive and has a shelf life.

Always carry antihistamine such as Benadryl in your vest. If your dog is bitten give to 1/2 tab and get it to the Vet that treats snake bits.

In my hometown there is a Vet that treats one rattlesnake bit per day during the warm season. The antihistamine is recommended by this Vet.

Snake avoidance is OK but most hunting dogs that get bit because they run right over the snake. Don't let your dog poke it's nose down and holes!

Get the booster shots before you go.

Have fun.

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:26 am

Thanks for the advice folks. One of my local vets advised using dexamethasone in case of a bite. Anyone had any experience with it? We don't have many rattlers round here and the vet hasn't used it for that before.

reba

Post by reba » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:18 pm

Dexamethasone is a type of steroid medication. It is used in the treatment of many conditions, including rheumatic problems, a number of skin diseases, severe allergies, asthma, chronic obstructive lung

GmanHawaii

Post by GmanHawaii » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:27 pm

randomnut wrote:I'm gonna be in rattlesnake country the next few weeks. My dogs have gotten one of the rattlesnake vaccines, but my vet says they'll need a booster in a few weeks.

What medication should I keep with me in case of a bite. I'll mostly be training on the weekends when the vets are closed.
Where will you be hunting? I ask because vaccine doesn't work on mojave rattlesnakes.
"If you can't stand behind our troops. feel free to stand in front of them"