Shoulder injury

Brutus

Shoulder injury

Post by Brutus » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:43 pm

Saturday evening I was out grouse hunting when I heard the dog Yelp. I looked over and he was hung up in some downed trees. He got out and I checked for any implements or other visible injuries and found none. He didn't seem to be bothered at all and continued to hunt the rest of the day without issue. When we returned to camp I noticed there was a slight favoring of his right leg but still nothing visual; he continued to run around, jump, and otherwise play with the other dogs.

The next morning I noticed that his right shoulder was twice the size do his left, and when touched it felt like a gelatinous mass over his muscle. He still continues to run around uneffected by it. Sunday evening I gave him a bath and when I wetted him down I could clearly see the upper part of his right arm was bruised.

Today he is not favoring it at all, runs and jumps, puts weight on it without issue, and when I touch and squeeze his arm there is absolutely no reaction. Obviously there is no broken bone, and would rule out any ligament or tendon damage; I would tend to believe he would be limping around with something like that.

Is the gelatinous mass, which is smaller than Sunday morning, is reducing in size but is still there. Is this just fluids that would go away on its own? Could this just be a deep bruise, which is still strange because there is no reaction if I squeeze it?

I'm a new dog owner, and a bit bewildered on this. I hate to bring him in when I do not see any difference in his gait or attitude, and am hoping this will resolve itself naturally. He is a 21 month old GSP.

Any thoughts from dog owners and past injuries?

Much appreciated!

Troy

marysburg

Re: Shoulder injury

Post by marysburg » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:25 pm

A visit to the vet will let you know what you are dealing with in terms of injury. No sense letting a good young dog end up lame if there is a way to avoid it.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:07 pm

I would go to the vet. Swelling indicates a problem. Maybe a soft tissue sprain, and will heal with just anti-inflammatories, but DO NOT GIVE advil or the like. It's very hard on the canine liver and can be deadly. Anyway, I would ice the shoulder (I know - good luck!) and then head to the vet in the AM. Better safe than sorry. Take you dog's temp and be sure there is no fever. 101.5 +- 1 degree is normal.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:17 pm

mountaindogs wrote:I would go to the vet. Swelling indicates a problem. Maybe a soft tissue sprain, and will heal with just anti-inflammatories, but DO NOT GIVE advil or the like. It's very hard on the canine liver and can be deadly. Anyway, I would ice the shoulder (I know - good luck!) and then head to the vet in the AM. Better safe than sorry. Take you dog's temp and be sure there is no fever. 101.5 +- 1 degree is normal.
Good advice but a day or two late. Since there is no pain and the swelling is receding I would give her a couple of days of limited activity and go from there. Sounds like a twist and or a bruise that is getting better. If for some reason it is still a problem in two or three days with swelling then a trip to the vet sounds good.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

zrp

Post by zrp » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:54 am

Sounds like it may be a hematoma. Small ones resorb but big ones may require medical attention. Heat packs and light exercise shouldn't hurt.

Brutus

Post by Brutus » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks much for the responses. So I have been watching him and noticed there is zero discomfort, no favoring of his leg, and the swelling has receded. He is, and has been, running around, playing, jumping, and trying to deke me out in the back yard with hard cuts! I feel confident that he is back to normal. I still have no idea what exactly happened and am flustered why there was no pain associated with this - but am quite happy that he didn't suffer nonetheless.

Again, many thanks for the responses.