Feeding entrials

fishvik

Feeding entrials

Post by fishvik » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:59 am

Another post got me wondering, How many of you feed your dogs entrails? Bird guts, green tripe or big game entrails. I save pheasant giblets and feed them to the dogs. They like them, but don't like duck giblets. Goose giblets, venison liver and heart are mine, but I've thought about feeding big game tripe and kidneys to the dogs.

reba

Re: Feeding entrials

Post by reba » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:58 pm

If you are not going to eat big game liver and heart, cook it and feed it to your dogs.

Slice liver and heart up, add small amount of water into pan cook slow for a short period of time. Serve rare into the normal amount of kibble.

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:41 pm

When bird hunting I keep the pheasant and chucker giblets, livers, and hearts and chop them up then place in a pan with small amount of water. I then slice carrots and "steam" all of this together. towards the end I add parsley then let it cool outside or in the fridge. I will mix this with their dog food as a reward for a great day afield.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:02 pm

The dogs get the giblets. Intestines get tossed out. Gizzard get the grit rinsed out, but I don't strip the lining out if the dogs are getting it.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:58 pm

Yes, pup gets all sorts of parts, livers, kidneys,etc. I enjoy venison heart so that's mine :) I feed raw so little goes to waste.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:54 pm

It sounds like most of you are doing what I do including saving the deer liver and heart for human consumption, it is too good to give to the hounds. :D

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:07 am

oregon woodsmoke wrote:The dogs get the giblets. Intestines get tossed out. Gizzard get the grit rinsed out, but I don't strip the lining out if the dogs are getting it.
I do the same. My pup sits and watches as i clean the birds and give her her share.