Dog ear small cut

GSPONPOINT32

Dog ear small cut

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Dog has a nick on his ear. He's had it for 1 month. Keeps opening it back up in the field. Any suggestions before I duct tape it?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jczv

Re: Dog ear small cut

Post by jczv » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:17 pm

I'd try some new skin liquid bandage on it. If it opens up put another coat on. Worked pretty good with our little female for a cut on her leg.

kstater

Post by kstater » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:04 pm

We had a cut just like that on my dog about 6 months ago. Tried the duct tape and took it off about 10 days later. The first time she shook her head it was bleeding again. We had her in the vet getting her OA tested and they sutured her up while they were in there. The glue sounds like a good next step with a duct tape wrap but you might leave it a couple weeks. Suture it if that fails.

GSPONPOINT32

Dog ear small cut

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:18 pm

Thanks ill try the new skin. It doesn't bleed much. I just was to get it healed up

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:08 pm

If all else fails it will heal up after hunting season

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:47 am

Use Durmabond (or similar) adhesive, which is medical grade superglue, on outside of ear tissue.

Works well for small nicks.

Bill

jczv

Post by jczv » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:28 pm

Spy Car wrote:Use Durmabond (or similar) adhesive, which is medical grade superglue, on outside of ear tissue.

Bill
I've used both in different cases (actually just used some superglue on myself). New skin has more antiseptic ingredients in it and forms a similar film to superglue when it dries. Either seems to work similar just don't use them together as the ingredient in new skin dissolves superglue.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:24 am

jczv wrote:
Spy Car wrote:Use Durmabond (or similar) adhesive, which is medical grade superglue, on outside of ear tissue.

Bill
I've used both in different cases (actually just used some superglue on myself). New skin has more antiseptic ingredients in it and forms a similar film to superglue when it dries. Either seems to work similar just don't use them together as the ingredient in new skin dissolves superglue.
It took me a could reads before I understood that by new skin you were referring to New Skin brand liquid bandage. LOL.

I have no experience with New Skin vs medical superglue, but a good adhesive works well for these small ear nicks. It isn't a good idea to glue deep wounds (as they need to drain, but for small nicks glue works well. One should just take care to hold the ear together tightly (best working with a partner) to keep the adhesive on the outside of the wound.

Bill

CWT

Post by CWT » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:50 pm

I would put some Betagen spray on it too. Great product.

GSPONPOINT32

Dog ear small cut

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:26 pm

We weren't in thick brush for two days. It seems to have a good start on healing. I'm going to put new skin on it before we head into the bush again.