Six month old puppies have a small cough...

Hdfilmmaker

Six month old puppies have a small cough...

Post by Hdfilmmaker » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Hey we live in Texas and took our six month old drahts too Red River NM for thanksgiving week. They played in the snow and icy water. I noticed two days ago the female got a like"hack" cough.. Like a cat does with a fur ball. Then yesterday on the way home the male started. Now let me add they were not drinking near as much water as they should. I'm wondering if they were dehydrated or is there something else? Today they haven't done it at all, and have been drinking tons of water. thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobman

Re: Six month old puppies have a small cough...

Post by bobman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:12 pm

are they vaccinated for kennel cough?
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Hdfilmmaker

Post by Hdfilmmaker » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:50 pm

OH yes they are up to date on EVERYTHING. We are very meticulous about that sort of thing. We wouldn't even let them around other dogs till they had all their shots.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:23 pm

See the vet.

"Although these vaccines may help, they do not guarantee protection against kennel cough or infectious tracheobronchitis , because it can be caused by so many different kinds of bacteria and viruses. Also, it is important to realize that neither form of the kennel cough vaccination will treat active infections." quote

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/kennel-cough-in-dogs
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:49 pm

Sharon wrote:See the vet.

"Although these vaccines may help, they do not guarantee protection against kennel cough or infectious tracheobronchitis , because it can be caused by so many different kinds of bacteria and viruses. Also, it is important to realize that neither form of the kennel cough vaccination will treat active infections." quote

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/kennel-cough-in-dogs
I just found this out this week, my dog had been vaccinated for kennel cough and he still came down with it. If they keep up the coughing it might be worth a trip to the vet. Mine seemed to come down with it after hunting in cold marshes and swimming ditches. I don't know if it contributed or if it was just coincidence.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:32 am

I have found that kennel cough is a short lived problem that will last for a week if you treat it and 7 days if you don't.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:16 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have found that kennel cough is a short lived problem that will last for a week if you treat it and 7 days if you don't.
That's why experience is nice. It was my first run in with it and now I'll know for the future to just give it time.

Hdfilmmaker

Post by Hdfilmmaker » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:12 pm

What is the usual treatment besides vets meds for this cough? I've giving lots of water and vitamins.