Yeast infection

TTIERNS

Yeast infection

Post by TTIERNS » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:31 pm

My dog has a yeast infection. The hair between his pads is dark red and he seems to be biting and scratching more. I think he is allergic to chicken so I took him off his Kirkland signature. I am feeding a Zignature lamb/rice and he eats it OK but I'm open to other options. Anyone have experience with Go brand or Zoic?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Yeast infection

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:01 pm

" Eliminate potatoes, corn, wheat, rice – all the carbohydrates need to go away in a sugar-free diet. This is really an important step. I wish I could tell you yeast is easy to treat and avoid without addressing diet, but it isn't. Your pet needs to eat a diet that helps keep his normal flora levels healthy and balanced.

The second thing I recommend is adding some natural anti-fungal foods to his diet, like a small amount of garlic or oregano. These foods are both anti-fungal and anti-yeast and can be beneficial in helping reduce the yeast level in your dog's body." quote

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... crazy.aspx
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:27 pm

My vet tells me that 85% of all dog allergies are from grains in food....we feed all three of our dogs 'grain free' ...seems to help with allergies...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Timewise65 wrote:My vet tells me that 85% of all dog allergies are from grains in food....we feed all three of our dogs 'grain free' ...seems to help with allergies...
Feed test and nutritional research shows feed allergies are rare and over 90% of them are protein sourced. There just isn't anything in a carb to be allergic too but occasionally there will be something a dog doesn't tolerate, such as gluten in humans even though it is beneficial to most people just as grain is to most dogs. I can't remember ever seeing a trial dog that wasn't fed a good meat and grain based diet And I have never had a dog out of all that we have raised trained and boarded that had a problem though some supposedly had problems before we owned them.

And I too have had vets tell me that but had to back out when questioned about food allergies.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:29 pm

No carbohydrates are "beneficial" to any dog, be they from a grain source or a non-grain starch. Carbs are in dog food to reduce the price to producers of dog "food."

Dogs have absolutely no essential need for carbohydrates in their diet. Canines evolved to eat meat.

Bill

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:19 am

Yeast live on starches and sugar, eliminate them.

mask

Post by mask » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:02 am

Spy Car wrote:No carbohydrates are "beneficial" to any dog, be they from a grain source or a non-grain starch. Carbs are in dog food to reduce the price to producers of dog "food."

Dogs have absolutely no essential need for carbohydrates in their diet. Canines evolved to eat meat.

Bill
Bill, how many dogs do you feed and what do you feed them?

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:08 pm

If you and your vet suspect allergies in your dog, why not just get allergy testing done to find out what is really the culprit? There may be many environmental allergies (plants, dust mites, etc), as well as food allergies. You can spend a lot of time and money fooling around with different rations and medications for ear, skin and itching, and still never figure out the source of the problem.

TTIERNS

Post by TTIERNS » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:09 pm

I do feed grain free and we'll see if the Zignature lamb formula helps. I am being careful about carbs and sugars. If this doesn't work it's off to the vet. Thanks for all your help

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:59 am

It's more than just grains, potatoes, peas, carrots, etc. all are food for yeast. I would try flesh, bone, and offal raw diet until the the yeast is whipped.

Best of luck to you and the pooch.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:17 am

Urban_Redneck wrote:It's more than just grains, potatoes, peas, carrots, etc. all are food for yeast. I would try flesh, bone, and offal raw diet until the the yeast is whipped.

Best of luck to you and the pooch.
How in the world does the carbs in 6the feed get to the yeast infection that is external? I never had a case with a dog but I know with humans keeping the area clean and more importantly dry and it goes away almost immediately. I have stopped it within hours just by using baby powder or better yet Gold Bond medicated powder. Had absolutely nothing to do with internal consumptions.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

daisyprincess

Post by daisyprincess » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:08 am

Change the diet plan. Diets with soy, corn and grains have already been proven to be a big time culprits. Our only dog had chronic yeast infections for years, hot spots, ear irritations...until we changed dog foods earlier this year. Elimated the grains completely.